Vortex's Replacement?

SonofBaconator

Vortex  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An RMC coaster, preferably hybrid but we haven't  seen what they can do with a TRex yet, would be my top choice for the park. But my top choice for this spot is a dive. I think it would be a gorgeous location for it with the drop facing out across the park towards the Eiffel Tower and IS.

The park is in need of more flat rides but I feel with the terrain it'd be harder utilize that area for flats than another coaster.

• Like 2

I think a Mack multi-launch would be great in that area. With Firehawk gone and now Vortex leaving, that's two large steel inverting coasters out of the park. I think that void needs to be filled, and would love something like Blue Fire at Europa Park or a Mack's equivalent to Maverick. I think that's a near perfect plot for something like that.

• Like 5

Well if you look at who Cedar Fair has been working with lately. it make sit hard to narrow down.

1. B & M. Dive, Floor-less, Wing, Flyer. To me Flyer makes the most sense, it would be the only one in the Cedar Fair chain and with that terrain it has the chance to be the best Flyer in North America and maybe the world.

2. Mack. A multi launch like Helix would be so tasty.

3. RMC. Wood or T-Rex, either option is outstanding. I lean towards wood, lets make the North America version of Wild Fire and shatter the height speed and inversion record for a wood coaster.

4. Gerstlauer. Hang Time has been a hit for Knott's, they are more economical then B & M and Mack. Plus Vortex set the inversion record back in 1987. Why not come full circle and set it again.

I want the Mack or RMC the most out of these options. But any of the coasters above would be a great and worthy replacement for Vortex.

• Like 1

I like the idea of a Mack multi-launch like Helix.  Maybe with a nod to Vortex having a Boomerang in the same spot.  So many possibilities in that big area.  

If I had to guess, I'd say Vortex was originally going to be around one more year.  But with the urgency of a paint job, it didn't make sense to spend the money on an outgoing ride.  2022 for a new coaster seems feasible.

• Like 1

I voted for floorless because I want to gain back some inversions after losing Vortex and the max we would get out of a dive would be 4. I'd love to see B&M do some kind of a next gen floorless since Banshee was kind of a next gen Invert. Plus a ground up floorless coaster hasn't been built in the US since 2005. 

I would love a T-Rex but since that model hasn't come out yet, I'm skeptical that they'd want to introduce a custom prototype to a big park like KI without building one at a smaller tier park.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, BeastForever said:

Call me crazy, but unless Holiday World or SFGAm has a big new wood coaster up their sleeves (which is doubtful), I'd say the track record is safe as any for now. It won't really be necessary to extend it.

Therefore, if its an RMC you might as well go with ground-up I-box.

The track record while nice, is not what I was worried about. I want to slam the door shut for the best wood coaster and wood coaster line up argument. A bigger and better version of Wild Fire an excellent GCI a John Allen classic plus The Beast. Man that would be a drop the mic. kind of line up.

• Like 3

Some considerations

Dive- unlikely. Valravn was the chain's 1st Dive and Yukon Striker didn't come too far behind it. Adding another B&M dive coaster so close to the others would saturate the chain.

Infinity coaster- maybe. I don't know if Gerstlauer can match the capacity of Vortex so that might be an issue. They did build Hangtime for CF and with the lightshow it gives off, I could see KI making theirs lightup like crazy at night.

Mack Multi Launch- possible. On one hand having 2 launched coasters next to each other might be repetitive to some degree but on the other hand comparing Premier to Mack is like comparing apples to oranges. If we got something like Helix I would be beyond happy but Macks are expensive since the track is manufactured overseas so the bigger the coaster, the higher the pricetag.

Wing- eh. Ive heard some people talk about a wing but i think it would be kinda strange since Thunderbird, Wild Eagle, X-Flight and GateKeeper are within a four/five hour radius of the park

Trex- possible. Kings Island took a hit in the inversion department when they announced Vortex's removal. From what I hear Raptors are stupid smooth so having a multi inversion T-Rex would do the park some good. Plus I kinda want a 90° drop like Railblazer has.

Floorless- don't count it out. I know this is everyone's least likely choice but its one of the safest choices for KI. Whether you love them or hate them, you can't deny B&Ms are stupid reliable. A ground up floorless hasn't been built in the US since 05 so it could be a possibility. Remember the gap in Inverts before Banshee came along. Plus Cedar Fair loves working with B&M and with their manufacturing plant literally in the next county, I wouldn't be shocked if they chose to work with them again. I know this isn't the most likely option but as this point we can only speculate.

• Like 8

I voted for other because I don’t know what I want to replace Vortex. A sit down looper like Steel Curtain would be great, but an RMC single-rail coaster would work too. I would love to see a floorless in the park, but I’d pick a different location. However, if this would end up being Vortex’s replacement, I’d be ecstatic! Just make it longer and with more inversions than Rougarou and we have a winner! B) A dive coaster is also a possibility; although I love Valravn, I don’t know I’d want one there (though that area would fit a dive coaster well and I’m sure I’d enjoy it).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LintemuthStudios said:

If we get a floorless, it's probably going to be closer to Hydra than Kumba in terms of layout. Tons of speed, some inversions but not many.

I doubt it as the backlash with Orion was heavy. And floorless records arent anywhere near insane. I bet if King Island were to go the floorless route it will be decent

• Like 4