Vortex's Replacement?

SonofBaconator

Vortex  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

There is one thing I think should be stressed into Vortex's replacement- it should be something that's both similar to Vortex's thrill level and have the same 48" height requirement.  That's one of the reasons I want it to be an RMC Topper Track coaster that isn't super over the top like SV where it gets above the 48" mark.  

• Like 2

I do think something like Goliath at Six Flags Great America would be a great fit.  I agree with @silver2005 that it needs to have the same 48" requirement.

The thing that I think is interesting about the next coaster installation is that it gives CF the opportunity to look at how Hangtime, Yukon Striker, Copperhead Strike, Steel Vengeance, and Twisted Timbers are all performing at their respective parks from a popularity and maintenance cost and efficiency and help make the decision based on that.

• Like 4

We're in a weird spot. Do we innovative and take risks or play it safe?

We've been in the "Play it safe" bus for years following the additon of SOB. Cedar Fair has added 3 B&Ms and 1 GCI- all safe moves. I feel like their choices to not bring a lot of innovative rides to KI in favor of safer ones is to give the park good PR. 

If we got a T-Rex I would be a little suprised because that would but is back in the innovative/high risk category. Don't get me wrong I would love a single rail, high capacity, coaster; but with new models comes problems.

Would it be safer to get rides like a B&M Dive or possibly a Floorless? Those coasters are certainly GP eaters and wouldn't upset them in the least. Enthusiasts would be disappointed that we would be getting our 4th B&M but at the end of the day, the GP are the main targets.

• Like 1

I think a B&M dive with a drop that faces the Eiffel Tower would be cool. It would be an awesome view of the whole park, especially at sunset. Do I think we need another B&M? No necessarily. Do I think we will see any hint of innovation with the next coaster installed? I really hope so. With the terrain changes in The Vortex area I really think something like Time Traveler would work really well.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Zader said:

I think a B&M dive with a drop that faces the Eiffel Tower would be cool. It would be an awesome view of the whole park, especially at sunset. Do I think we need another B&M? No necessarily. Do I think we will see any hint of innovation with the next coaster installed? I really hope so. With the terrain changes in The Vortex area I really think something like Time Traveler would work really well.

I have always thought that a dive would be ideal here.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

We're in a weird spot. Do we innovative and take risks or play it safe?

We've been in the "Play it safe" bus for years following the additon of SOB. Cedar Fair has added 3 B&Ms and 1 GCI- all safe moves. I feel like their choices to not bring a lot of innovative rides to KI in favor of safer ones is to give the park good PR. 

If we got a T-Rex I would be a little suprised because that would but is back in the innovative/high risk category. Don't get me wrong I would love a single rail, high capacity, coaster; but with new models comes problems.

Would it be safer to get rides like a B&M Dive or possibly a Floorless? Those coasters are certainly GP eaters and wouldn't upset them in the least. Enthusiasts would be disappointed that we would be getting our 4th B&M but at the end of the day, the GP are the main targets.

I mean, when was the last floorless?  No park is going to get a ground up floorless. 

I'm still on #teamfloorless*! B)

Also, re: innovation vs. playing it safe, I think it would be cool to mix it up with something innovative, but at the same time, I feel it should be somewhat reliable and enjoyable.

....and I'm glad someone else knows da wae! :lol:

-MDMC, a fan of memes!

*The only thing is that it would be that it would likely be another 54 inch height requirement and I agree that it would be nice to have another 48" coaster (as Vortex was). Also, whatever we get, I hope there is some sort of tribute to Vortex in the trackwork and/or theming- kind of like Yukon Striker gives a tribute to Skyride with that (seemingly random) vertical loop.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2020 at 10:27 AM, Zader said:

With the terrain changes in The Vortex area I really think something like Time Traveler would work really well.

Anything that matches Vortex's height requirement is a step in the right direction. A spinning coaster would be fun but Macks are expensive as heck. 

I still think a Dive would look weird next to Diamondback; I would still want a Dive in Action Zone though.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

Anything that matches Vortex's height requirement is a step in the right direction. A spinning coaster would be fun but Macks are expensive as heck. 

I still think a Dive would look weird next to Diamondback; I would still want a Dive in Action Zone though.

I always thought a dive coaster would look great there, I don't think it'd be too awkward next to Diamondback. Think having the lift in the same spot as Vortex with a curve and drop facing the front of the park it could have a great look and visual of the skyline. Could have it dive down and loop back up next to the midway where the batwing was. Not sure how well it'd really fill or utilize the space though, sould have to look at overlays well and see how theming could go. But a multi-launch type coaster could be great. something like Maverick or Copperhead Strike would look great in it's spot.

However, I could see one fit really well into AZ and look great there. If they decided to take out Invertigo and Congo Falls a new dive coaster could fit into that spot really well. Station could be near Invertigo's current stations with the dive coming out by congo Falls pool/queue.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, purdude86 said:

Think having the lift in the same spot as Vortex with a curve and drop facing the front of the park it could have a great look and visual of the skyline. Could have it dive down and loop back up next to the midway where the batwing was.

I think looking out over the park right before diving would be amazing, especially at sunset. It would give a really unique view of the park. I also think a plaza like Valravn has would be really neat. One entrance to the plaza could be where the batwing was with an inversion over the path

19 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I am not sure how expensive Mack's are but I consider B&M the Rolls Royce of coasters price wise. The park has no problem affording them.  I vote a multi-launch or a traditional looking coaster in Vortex old spot with 5 inversions and packed with quick transitions and airtime. I think a dive machine could work well in Flight Decks spot or Invertago/ Congo Falls area. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, purdude86 said:

However, I could see one fit really well into AZ and look great there. If they decided to take out Invertigo and Congo Falls a new dive coaster could fit into that spot really well. Station could be near Invertigo's current stations with the dive coming out by congo Falls pool/queue.

I honestly think that if a dive coaster went there, that they would have the drop facing the front entrance pathway that the lift on Invertigo faces. 

1 hour ago, KIBeast said:

A friend of mine at work suggested a coaster not listed in the poll. How about something similar to Steel Vengeance going there? 

While I think an RMC would be a great addition for the park, for some reason I just can't see it on Vortex's land. My guess is when they do add an RMC, it will be a wood topper track so they can tack another coaster on to the "most wood track in a park" record.

Something I just thought of, in trying to give the coaster a vintage look with a new feel, I wonder if we could see a new Vekoma looper. It seems like they're making a resurgence in the European market, but I haven't really seen any here in the states. I'm also not sure about the height requirements on the Vekoma coasters

2 hours ago, jbeast said:

I could see a dive there too! Here's a quick Photoshop rendering I just created looking from the midway. It'd be awesome having that drop face the midway! Whatever goes there, I'll be happy!

Vortex old spot.jpg

Why do I feel this would work? Like, Vortex's spot along with its look made it a photogenic coaster. This looks quite pleasing to me! 

3 hours ago, Zader said:

While I think an RMC would be a great addition for the park, for some reason I just can't see it on Vortex's land. My guess is when they do add an RMC, it will be a wood topper track so they can tack another coaster on to the "most wood track in a park" record.

Something I just thought of, in trying to give the coaster a vintage look with a new feel, I wonder if we could see a new Vekoma looper. It seems like they're making a resurgence in the European market, but I haven't really seen any here in the states. I'm also not sure about the height requirements on the Vekoma coasters

I personally think it would be the perfect spot for a coaster such as Steel Vengeance. Plenty of land to have a rather large layout. Adding wood topper track to an existing coaster would not give them the most wood track in a park record, so I don't follow you there.