Vortex's Replacement?

SonofBaconator

Vortex  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/14/2020 at 4:27 PM, KIBeast said:

I personally think it would be the perfect spot for a coaster such as Steel Vengeance. Plenty of land to have a rather large layout. Adding wood topper track to an existing coaster would not give them the most wood track in a park record, so I don't follow you there. 

I meant a ground up topper track RMC like Lightning Rod or Outlaw Run

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I don't see that happening without a much quieter lift hill. All 4 RMC coasters I've been on are really loud.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Per RMC at IAAPA, the issue of loud lifts *should* be able to be resolved with new rubber tips on the anti-rollbacks. 

• Like 2

I'm not sure it really matters anyway. I've seen plenty of long lines for Steel Vengeance. I do remember how Son of Beast had a loud chain lift and that never deterred me from riding it. 
It's not the rider experience, it's the neighbors at KI who would object to the noise an RMC makes.

On 2/19/2020 at 8:18 AM, KIBeast said:

^I completely agree with you there. I would like to have a ground up RMC, but on a larger scale, more like SV.

I think Zader is talking about the distinction between the two different kinds of ground-up RMCs, Lightning Rod and Outlaw Run being topper track wooden coasters, which technically count as a woodies, and SteVe being a steel I-box hybrid coaster, which doesn't. So if they built a ground-up RMC, a topper track model might be a nice addition because they could count that as wooden track and add to the record.

• Like 2

Vortex's spot is also well at the back of the park and further away from the residential areas around KI.  
The neighbors who complained were evidently near Soak City and were complaining, I assume, about Diamondback's first drop and the mcbr. They are fearful about Orion, which is even further away from them. A loud coaster in The Vortex spot is absolutely something they would complain about.

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 12:13 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

It's not the rider experience, it's the neighbors at KI who would object to the noise an RMC makes.

Makes sense, but you'd think the neighbors would've complained about the Son of Beast chain lift.

I think Kings Island needs something more interesting then a floorless. Floorless coasters are old news now and have no hype around them anymore. I think the park could use a 90 degree drop coaster. Cedar Point has 5 of them and KI has none. Something like maverick, pantheon or taiga would draw a lot more attention to the park then a floorless. I would prefer a lift hill though as I think the park has enough good launches. This is all just my opinion.

I don't like the OTSRs personally. If they could find a way to add vest restraints to floorless trains I'd be all for it.

If it had same restraints gp would immediately think it is the same thing as Banshee but your not hanging. Unless b&m does something very unique for the floorless.

On 2/17/2020 at 3:11 PM, coaster sally said:

Inversions are not in anymore.

Can't say I see it that way, if anything I'd argue the opposite - that they've made sort of a comeback over the last 10 years, relative to the 90s and 00s when it seemingly was at the top of every park's bucket list to get their (usually non-looping) hypercoaster.

As for what I think would be a great replacement for Vortex, I consider these things:

- We want to gain inversions back

- Could use a vertical drop coaster

- Floorless trains will always be a nice/marketable gimmick

- And lastly, we want this to rival the aesthetics that Vortex brought to the area

A B&M dive checks off all these boxes. Not to mention, it would fit easily into the plot and just might be within the price range/timetable to be had by 2023.

Yes, I'm aware that corporate has said they plan to "slow down" coaster installations in the coming years, however one could say its an extenuating circumstance that they probably don't want Vortex going unreplaced for too long.

• Like 5

@BeastForever I don't disagree that a dive would be sick, but I'm concerned about how little we would get vs a floorless or t-rex. It might cost more to add a dive than it would a floorless. Plus I could only see us getting a max of 4 inversions unless they make the height around 170ft to not out-do Yukon Striker.

A traditional floorless looper just seems like the safest option to me

5 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

@BeastForever I don't disagree that a dive would be sick, but I'm concerned about how little we would get vs a floorless or t-rex. It might cost more to add a dive than it would a floorless. Plus I could only see us getting a max of 4 inversions unless they make the height around 170ft to not out-do Yukon Striker.

A traditional floorless looper just seems like the safest option to me

Ground up floorless coasters have been flying off the b&m shelf in the last 10 years....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Though I'm still on #teamfloorless, I thought of another idea...

What if we have a (steel) dueling coaster in Vortex's spot? There aren't a ton of those around and IIRC, one hasn't been built in the US in some time. Thoughts?

West Coast Racers just opened at SFMM but an S&S multi-launch dueling coaster would be pretty neat in that area. I think the closest dueling coaster to KI would be Lightning Racer at Hersheypark

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Zader said:

West Coast Racers just opened at SFMM but an S&S multi-launch dueling coaster would be pretty neat in that area. I think the closest dueling coaster to KI would be Lightning Racer at Hersheypark

Gemini at CP? Racer at Kennywood?

Granted, these are both very old coasters, especially Racer.