Vortex's Replacement?

SonofBaconator

Vortex  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 3/1/2020 at 4:17 PM, rlentless said:

I guess I would like an RMC like this one.  This one is a 200ft coaster so we can still get a good size one with the inversions RMC offers.  I like the looks of it too . . still miss seeing the large wooden structure of SOB.  So I think it would look great back there and maybe move the entrance down by LaRosa's so it can be part of Rivertown.  Just a thought.

I like your ideas dude. The only thing is I doubt they would go the full 200 feet with Steel Vengeance up north at Cedar Point.  I would say make it slightly taller than Vortex to pay tribute in a way. My ideal height without interfering with The Beast would be 155-160 feet. It doesn't have to break records as long as it's a fun layout. I love your idea of having the entrance near LaRosa's, but not too close. The reason I say that is, people might get upset if the line sticks out while people are trying eat they're pizza outside. Someone mentioned have the plaza across from Backlot Stunt Coaster. I like that idea a lot too.

• Like 2

On 2/17/2020 at 3:11 PM, coaster sally said:

Inversions are not in anymore.

If I count (and remember) correctly, I believe there were 11 new coasters built for 2019 in just North America and Europe....  out of those 8 have inversions.

New-for-2019 coasters with inversions in North America: Yukon Striker (Canada's Wonderland), Steel Curtain (Kennywood), Maxx Force (SFGAm), Copperhead Strike (Carowinds),

New-for-2019 coasters with inversions in Europe: Zardra (Poland), Dynamite (Germany), Fury (Germany), Untamed (Holland)

New for 2019 coasters that did not have inversions... Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure (Universal's Islands of Adventure), Kentucky Flyer (Kentucky Kingdom), Wilkolak (Poland).

So... judging by those numbers, I'd say that inversions are very much IN ;-)

I am nearly willing to bet money that Kings Island's next coaster will include them as well. 

Oh, and just for posterity, launching is very much IN too.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

If I count (and remember) correctly, I believe there were 11 new coasters built for 2019 in just North America and Europe....  out of those 8 have inversions.

New-for-2019 coasters with inversions in North America: Yukon Striker (Canada's Wonderland), Steel Curtain (Kennywood), Maxx Force (SFGAm), Copperhead Strike (Carowinds),

New-for-2019 coasters with inversions in Europe: Zardra (Poland), Dynamite (Germany), Fury (Germany), Untamed (Holland)

New for 2019 coasters that did not have inversions... Hagrid's Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure (Universal's Islands of Adventure), Kentucky Flyer (Kentucky Kingdom), Wilkolak (Poland).

I am nearly willing to bet money that Kings Island's next coaster will include them as well. 

I honestly hope that the next coaster DOES have inversions because we have lost over 10 inversions with the removal of Firehawk and Vortex. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I'd love another launch but I don't want the downtime that comes with them. I'd rather play it safe and get a traditional chain lift

1. Launches have come a long way since the days of Flight of Fear.  Premier and Mack do a pretty good time in getting the kinks out during the first year.

2. Not all companies have B&M levels of lack of downtime their first year.  Just because they're a bit worse than B&M in that regard doesn't mean they're long term problems.  B&M isn't the be-all-end-all. 

3.  Parks need the variety

I'm actually hoping the Intamins that are opening at the Busch/Sea World parks do well because I want to see them be a player in the US market again.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I really think that any kind of an RMC could replace Vortex. I think that it would be a great addition to the park. It definitely would not be as good as like Steel Vengeance of course. But maybe something like Storm Chaser where It is not as intense. It would probably be maybe a year or two before they start actually building it. 

• Like 1

I would love to see an RMC hybrid hyper coaster that has a cooler and better layout than Son of Beast does. It would be really cool to see a vertical loop to replicate Son of Beast. The color of the steel track doesn't have to be red or blue. It could be blue, purple, green, for any color RMC can think of. The examples of names I came up for it are ultimate beast, steel force, lovely beast, sister beast, and girly beast. That's a good inspiration of Son of Beast RMC hybrid. Kings Island might be the next park to get an rmc. If not, then canada's wonderland will be the next. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Cordell75 said:

I would love to see an RMC hybrid hyper coaster that has a cooler and better layout than Son of Beast does. It would be really cool to see a vertical loop to replicate Son of Beast. The color of the steel track doesn't have to be red or blue. It could be blue, purple, green, for any color RMC can think of. The examples of names I came up for it are ultimate beast, steel force, lovely beast, sister beast, and girly beast. That's a good inspiration of Son of Beast RMC hybrid. Kings Island might be the next park to get an rmc. If not, then canada's wonderland will be the next. 

I don’t think any Cedar Fair parks will get an RMC anytime soon after all of the problems Steel Vengeance had/has. They are the new Intamin in Cedar Fair’s eyes. I would love to be wrong though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t think any Cedar Fair parks will get an RMC anytime soon after all of the problems Steel Vengeance had/has. They are the new Intamin in Cedar Fair’s eyes. I would love to be wrong though.

I mean I feel like they went too big with Steel Vengeance and now they're more or less paying the price for it. Smaller ones are fine, (Twisted Timbers, Joker, Twisted Cyclone, etc)

Once you start trying to break a bunch of records with a company you don't have any past experience with things might get hairy. Besides, CF might be more interested in their single rails vs their wooden products at the moment.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I mean I feel like they went too big with Steel Vengeance and now they're more or less paying the price for it. Smaller ones are fine, (Twisted Timbers, Joker, Twisted Cyclone, etc)

Once you start trying to break a bunch of records with a company you don't have any past experience with things might get hairy. Besides, CF might be more interested in their single rails vs their wooden products at the moment.

We’ll see I guess, but I am still not sure Cedar Fair will be interested in RMC single rails because I know RailBlazer had some problems initially which caused it to open late. I don’t know if those problems have been ironed out, but maybe they have. I also think an RMC raptor like RailBlazer, Wonder Women, and Jersey Devil would be too low capacity for a larger park like King Island, but maybe if the RMC T-Rex ever comes out, Cedar Fair will consider building one of those.

2 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

We’ll see I guess, but I am still not sure Cedar Fair will be interested in RMC single rails because I know RailBlazer had some problems initially which caused it to open late. I don’t know if those problems have been ironed out, but maybe they have. I also think an RMC raptor like RailBlazer, Wonder Women, and Jersey Devil would be too low capacity for a larger park like King Island, but maybe if the RMC T-Rex ever comes out, Cedar Fair will consider building one of those.

Great adventure does not get crowds?

• 1 month later...

Some more questions I thought of:

1. Would you want Vortex's replacement to cover the empty space or leave some room for something else?
  2. Would you want it to pay homage to Vortex in some way (colors, name, logo, etc)?
  3. What types elements would you like to see on a the potential new coaster? (I'd personally pick a zero-g stall and a banana roll)

On 3/29/2020 at 12:17 AM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t think they’d be the same level as Intamin honestly. They had some issues with SV but seems to have gotten ironed out a bit and a small delay with Railblazer but they have been consistent once ironing out stuff. Plus the company has a good track record overall. Intamin had a lot of issues that were also ongoing across the board with the chain and with other companies too.

• Like 1

I don't think RMC is really gone. I'd like to see them work on projects like converting Grizzly at CGA and Hurler at CWS. Not every park needs an RMC and the ones that do don't need have ones as big as Steel Vengeance. 

Six Flags used RMC as a way to get use out of old wooden coasters that they didn't take good care of. Cedar Fair takes way better care of their wooden coasters which is why I don't think we'll see an RMC at almost every like you see with Six Flags.

I consider Cedar Fair and RMC's relationship to be on an "as needed" basis

6 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Here’s copperhead strike in Vortex’s plot of land, including some of the land by The Beast. Fits pretty well

0BCDBE1E-CDF2-4C22-972F-F93AB30D27EF.jpeg

1F21D9AC-CD65-4C3D-B19C-FD325384E950.jpeg

Wow! Copperhead Strike looks tiny compared to Vortex. If we were to get a Mack multi-launch, I think it should be a little larger than Copperhead Strike, so it can have the same massive look to it that Vortex had. But since a Mack multi-launch would theoretically be smaller than Vortex, it could open up new expansion possibilities. The park would probably opt to expand the tight midway if I had to guess and create a better entrance plaza. Just image walking up to that area and seeing a new coaster launch into a twisted mess of track. Mack coasters are very photogenic like Vortex, so I think it would look great!

• Like 2