Vortex's Replacement?

SonofBaconator

Vortex  

191 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

45 minutes ago, Benjamin22 said:

Personally I don't see that happening. Naming a new coaster after an old, demolished coaster may cause confusion among guest. Also renaming a new coaster Vortex would also make it harder to market the new ride.

That's true. I was thinking about how KI had recycled The Bat name and thought it might apply to a new ride

• Like 1

On 9/28/2019 at 4:04 PM, SonofBaconator said:

There's dozens of Vortex threads right now so I'll keep it simple- what's replacing Vortex, (if anything)?

I definitely think that, eventually, the bulk of that plot will be used for a roller coaster. It's probably not going to be a surprise to many if it's more than a three-year wait before it comes around (mostly due to COVID-19's effects on every single amusement/theme park worldwide), but I still hope that it comes soon anyway.

Ultimately, the only criteria that I think would make Vortex's replacement a knock-your-socks-off spectacular ride would be any model that can handle tons of inversions. Think about it this way: Kings Island only has three coasters that feature inversions, and one of them is not a full-circuit coaster. They've got their two tall coasters, two launched coaster (even though one is a little more on the tame side), three wooden coasters, three coasters that are more unique types (The Bat, Banshee, Adventure Express) and one shuttle coaster. Banshee: 7 inversions, Flight of Fear: 4 inversions, Invertigo: 3 inversions. Meanwhile, Cedar Point has seven coasters that feature inversions (I've probably dragged this post on for far too long, so I'm just going to leave it at the number). What Kings Island really needs if they want a great new coaster in the future is a Gerstlauer with tons of inversions and a 90-plus degree drop. It's capable of handling inversions and hangtime, and they're somewhat uncommon: only 11 exist currently in the United States (according to RCDb, see link below).

https://rcdb.com/r.htm?ol=59&el=7238&mk=6948&ot=2

• Like 3

On 10/25/2020 at 8:14 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I think a decade or two might need to pass first, but I could see the name used again at some point.

Definitely. There was, at one point, a plan about a teased wing coaster named "The Bat" coming to Kings Island in 2014, but the plan was changed and they received Banshee instead (the name fits another suspended coaster better anyway). This probably won't be the case for Vortex because of how iconic and familiar it is to most people. Instead, they might name the coaster something that harkens back to the former (i.e. "Thunderhead" for a launched coaster, "Wild Winds" for a coaster with lots of inversions, etc.).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

11 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I really don’t think this means anything, but there is a picture of a MACK Rides multi-launch coaster when you first launch the Kings Island app.

353D6461-4D9C-49E2-8520-3E133FF72EED.png

Its on all of the Cedar Fair apps including Michigan's Adventure so I dont think it means anything

• Confused 1

On 9/9/2020 at 8:53 PM, WickedDragster said:

How about an Aquatrax

What's a Aquatrax?

On 1/12/2021 at 7:07 PM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The name is Shot Rod. 

Why? Was it a hot rod that got its heat shot out of it?

On 1/11/2021 at 9:10 PM, FUN&ONLY! said:

I really don’t think this means anything, but there is a picture of a MACK Rides multi-launch coaster when you first launch the Kings Island app.

353D6461-4D9C-49E2-8520-3E133FF72EED.png

Maybe they couldn't think of a better ride the put on there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

but what if a gp'er sees that ride and wants to ride it and gets to the park and is stuck with BLSC?

There's been a ton of Kings Island advertisements in years past that feature Dominator from KD and Silver Bullet from Knott's Berry Farm. They're not advertising the specific coaster per se rather they're advertising the park

• Like 3

1 hour ago, coaster sally said:

but what if a gp'er sees that ride and wants to ride it and gets to the park and is stuck with BLSC?

Are you serious?

Okay, let me put it this way.

In their app, in that card on that screen, they are advertising that they are selling tickets and passes for their park.  That's it.

They are not advertising a specific ride on that screen.

For info on the rides available at the park, there are screens that list the names, basic description and stats for some, and location within the park.  There is even an interactive map that helps you find rides, attractions, and services within the park.

No name or description of the generic ride design shown on the card that's pushing tickets and passes.

This is no different that television advertising campaigns used for many years by Cedar Fair.  If they're trying to sell you on a specific ride, they give you the name and a description.  Otherwise, it's a generic representation of the things you'll find at the park.

If "a gp'er sees that ride", they're much more likely to say, "Cool, a roller coaster!  We should go!  Hey where can I see what rides they have?"  Not, "Oh that thumbnail looked cool, I'm going there just for that ride, whatever it is!"

• Like 2

For theming I just had this thought in mind: Cedar Fair has been partnering with Monster Jam recently and holding Monster Jam themed events in a couple parks. I've heard rumors that CF could eventually theme a coaster to Monster Jam. I think a multi launch whether it be Mack or Intamin would be the best fit coaster for a monster jam/monster truck theme. I know it sounds like a longshot, but I honestly would not be surprised if we get a multi launch coaster there that it would have a Monster Jam/Monster Truck theme. I was thinking the name Monster Jam: Thundercoaster or something along those lines.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

For theming I just had this thought in mind: Cedar Fair has been partnering with Monster Jam recently and holding Monster Jam themed events in a couple parks. I've heard rumors that CF could eventually theme a coaster to Monster Jam. I think a multi launch whether it be Mack or Intamin would be the best fit coaster for a monster jam/monster truck theme. I know it sounds like a longshot, but I honestly would not be surprised if we get a multi launch coaster there that it would have a Monster Jam/Monster Truck theme. I was thinking the name Monster Jam: Thundercoaster or something along those lines.

I personally wouldn’t want to see anything like this. Original storylines are better than IP’s in my opinion, and putting in a Monster Jam rollercoaster would likely take away from the charm in Coney Mall and Rivertown.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I personally wouldn’t want to see anything like this. Original storylines are better than IP’s in my opinion, and putting in a Monster Jam rollercoaster would likely take away from the charm in Coney Mall and Rivertown.

Tbh I think a car theme would work very well at that end of Coney Mall if they do make it part of Coney Mall. With the antique cars and the jukebox diner there, a 1950s/60's hot rod theme (like my shot rod concept above) would fit very well. Better than Monster Jam would. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Tbh I think a car theme would work very well at that end of Coney Mall if they do make it part of Coney Mall. With the antique cars and the jukebox diner there, a 1950s/60's hot rod theme (like my shot rod concept above) would fit very well. Better than Monster Jam would. 

Maybe an old car theme would work, but something like Monster Jam really wouldn’t fit at all in my opinion. I love theming, but I could see a new Coney Mall coaster not really having much of a theme because I don’t really know what theme would fit really well into that area of the park. I think was is most important is that a new rollercoaster in Vortex’s plot is well presented and visually appealing like Vortex was.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Just came across this video! I wouldn't mind something like this to come:

Wow, that thing looks amazing! A modern Vekoma would be a very good fit for this plot of land, although (correct me if I'm wrong) does Cedar Fair still work with Vekoma?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kodistict said:

Wow, that thing looks amazing! A modern Vekoma would be a very good fit for this plot of land, although (correct me if I'm wrong) does Cedar Fair still work with Vekoma?

I don’t believe Cedar Fair ever really worked with Vekoma. I think the majority of Vekomas in the chain are from parks Cedar Fair acquired like the Paramount Parks. Unfortunately, I also don’t really see Cedar Fair working with Vekoma anytime soon after they have recently had to remove Stinger and Firehawk because of maintenance issues and not being able to get new parts. I know new Vekomas are supposed to be better rides, but it is still the same company and may provide the same poor long-term support.

• Like 2

I'm not sure who said it or what thread they said it on, but I remember someone saying that whatever replaces Vortex needs to fit the carnival feel of Coney Mall.  Though it's hard to describe why, I think Vortex fit Coney Mall amazingly. 

I think a Gerstlauer infinity, something like Monster at Adventureland, fits the Coney Island feel too.  I truly think it is the kind of ride you'd find at home at a modern carnival or boardwalk park, and it's night look would really go well with the rest of Coney(plus it's compact enough to leave room for a Rivertown expansion/ new Coney mall flats.) 

The Monster HD Night Ride Front Seat On Ride POV & Review. Gerstlauer Infinity Coaster Adventureland - YouTube 

• Like 4