Reaction to other rides removal over the years

MaestroJr

Happy October everyone, hope y’all are doing well, with the removal of two Kings Island coasters in a span of two years and defiantly causing a fierce reaction with the removal of Vortex, I was just curious how people reacted with the removal of rides such as The Bat (original), Screaming Demon, and King Cobra. I don’t remember those rides so I was just curious if anyone remembers how they felt upon hearing about those rides destruction during the years that it happened. Thanks! 

• Like 1

My wife still fumes about the Eagles--at least we have the kiddie version. I loved the Cobra and KKKC, as well as the original Tiques. I saw the removal of all of them as simply parts of Paramount's plot to destroy my childhood wonderland so I was not happy. 

• Like 2

I remember there was a lot of outcry (online) about the Eagles, but I don't recall much about King Cobra (to be fair, I live in the Detroit area and this was before KIC time, I believe). But it wouldn't make me too surprised if the reaction to King Cobra was like the reaction to Vortex -- a lot of people claiming that the ride ride was ground-breaking and historic, but wasn't really that enjoyable anymore (I think Vortex after 33 years is much more fun that Cobra was after 17). There might be the difference that King Cobra didn't have the aesthetic benefit that Vortex has; you lost it, but you weren't losing one of the great parts of the park's skyline or a prime photo position. 

That said, we all have likely gotten upset over various removals. To this day, I miss Smurfs Enchanted Voyage because it was the first ride I fell in love with as a kid (even Phantom Theater served as a poor replacement, in my opinion). Likewise, I miss Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canals because I have strong memories of riding it with my grandfather and I loved the way that ride looked in Rivertown (I'm also upset that its replacement is now just a big metal box...although we likely wouldn't have gotten Diamondback either). And I know it's not really a ride removal, but I still hate that Woodstock Express is not called The Beastie (a change that happened way back in the Nickelodeon days)...except that my kids both call it The Beastie :-) 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, cdubbs727 said:

But it wouldn't make me too surprised if the reaction to King Cobra was like the reaction to Vortex -- a lot of people claiming that the ride ride was ground-breaking and historic, but wasn't really that enjoyable anymore

This is what I remember...and by that time I'd ridden Mantis-so I knew that stand up coasters could be much bigger/better

The Bat, and Screaming Demon are before my time, but at the same time all of those coasters were removed before sites like this existed, so getting a real feel for how fans of the park felt would be difficult.  I am really not sure that there is that much outrage over this decision, the 14 page thread about the removal seems to have more opinions on what should replace it then people really complaining.  Last year when Firehawk was announced, most people seemed to be expecting Vortex, I know there are people who really are mad, but at the same time I believe it to be overall a minority of enthusiasts.  From what I can tell not many in the general public are that bothered by this decision.

The only ride on your list that I do remember was King Cobra, and frankly, no one that I knew at the time seemed to be that bothered.  I am sure it had its fans, but mostly people seemed to be fine with its removal.  As I remember the log flume was originally supposed to be removed but outrage caused the park to overhaul the ride instead.  There are a LOT of people who are angry about the eagles and many still are.

• Like 1

The Screamin’ Demon closing was mostly painless for us.

Late in the summer of 1987 (Vortex opening year), I read an Enquirer article that Amazon (Congo) Falls was coming in 1988, and Demon would be leaving to make room.

While my friends and I liked Demon...

1. A full summer of enjoying Vortex made the Demon less necessary 

2. The loss of Demon was simultaneously tempered with the announcement of what looked to be a fun water ride (and an overall improvement)

3. We still could get our backwards coaster fix on Recar. 

We were still a bit bummed because it left KI with only 5 coasters (4 adult coasters) and we would rather have not lost even a mediocre one, but after Vortex we were hopeful that KI would continue with bigger and better coasters in the next decade. 

This would be the fourth removal (KC, SOB, Firehawk, and Vortex) since I have been following the park closely.

King Cobra- When I first got on the innerwebs in the late 90s there were rumors even then about it being ready to close down and later that it was for sale.  I only rode it one time which was enough for me.  While it is always sad to lose a coaster, I always joke that the people who miss King Cobra most are the ones who never rode it.  While that is not completely true, Delirium has been a popular and successful replacement.

Son of Beast- The hype and potential for the ride was amazing.  Watching this massive structure start growing in the summer of '99 will always stick with me.  It was the first time I really followed a coaster being built and I looked forward to it so much.  Unfortunately it wasn't a great ride but the structure itself was amazing to look at.  I was disappointed to see it go but Banshee and Mystic Timbers more than made up for the loss.

Firehawk- I remember watching Quicktime animation for Stealth (now Nighthawk at Carowinds) and there were strong rumors we were going to get a ride like that @Shaggy has a great thread on here detailing this process well.  Eventually we did get it and I finally rode it in '17.  I enjoyed Firehawk but it was never a must do and I figured whatever was replacing it would be better and I expect Orion will be.

Vortex- This one is tough because it was my first looper.  Over the past couple of years I have ridden it more due to trying to get rows 5-1 or 7-1 where it is more enjoyable.  The popularity overall with people has seemingly dropped lower and lower every year though.  I can see why the park didn't want to throw a ton of money at it if it is metal fatigue.  I am excited to see what comes though I think it will be 3-5 years down the road before we know.

• Like 5

It's kind of funny, of all the rides Kings Island have removed in my lifetime (and I'm sure I'm missing a few) very few have been replaced with something better:

Kenton's Cove Keelboat Canal - TR:TR/The Crypt - Madame Fatale's Haunt

King Cobra - Delirium

Flying Eagles and Antique Cars x 2 - Backlot Stunt Coaster

Skylab - Games

Flight Commander - Removed, then planned Drop Tower, then Eurobungie, then eventually Antique Autos

Son of Beast - Banshee (I would call this a big positive)

Firehawk - Orion (Should be a big upgrade)

Vortex - The jury is still out.

• Like 3

Being one of the people who began to enjoy KI back when Racer was the big boy in the park, I've felt the pain of loss of quite a few good rides.
Saying that, I think Cedar Fair is doing a fantastic job with the park. I was not much of a fan during the Paramount years though. 

I miss The Eagles and original Bat the most. The Eagles are still my favorite flat ride ever. Absolutely love them and like I've said before, I still have a hard time walking past that stupid and annoying basketball game knowing what was once in that spot.
The Bat, in the first year, was a wild ride at the time. Especially going down off the second lift hill through the trees...I remember it well. Not being designed correctly made for a wild swinging ride when it first opened. I really miss Kenton's Keelboat's too as well as the original Enchanted Theater. Also The Demon...walking up the stairs as the train going along the track rattled the whole structure is a fun memory. 
Son of Beast was impressive to look at, but I certainly don't miss it much. Banshee in that spot is light years superior in my opinion. Kind of miss King Cobra. It was such a groundbreaking style of ride when it was opened and I did get a bunch of rides on it through it's years.

Being a little older, I've seen quite a bit come and go at the park to say the least. It's still my favorite place in the world through it all.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

While it is always sad to lose a coaster, I always joke that the people who miss King Cobra most are the ones who never rode it.

Honestly, I feel exactly the same way about Son of Beast. When it was operating, there were a handful of enthusiasts on here who liked elements of it, but almost no one was out here declaring it their favorite coaster. Then it went SBNO for 3 years and all of these fans and people who were obsessed with the idea of The Beast "family" started popping out of the woodwork. Which, like, is fine--y'all do you--but I find myself wondering often if they actually rode the thing or just thought it looked cool and really liked the name and marketing.

2 hours ago, teenageninja said:

It's kind of funny, of all the rides Kings Island have removed in my lifetime (and I'm sure I'm missing a few) very few have been replaced with something better:

[...] TR:TR/The Crypt - Madame Fatale's Haunt [...]

1c3.jpg

(Source.)

:P;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Out of all of the other ride removals, I don't think I have ever been as sad as I am no for the removal of Vortex. RIP, and F in the chat.

In memory of Vortex, I updated my profile picture to have it's logo as the center piece. That is, until it is torn down or past the 27th. Is anyone else going to KI this Sunday. I'm going, and I'm going to get a decent amount of rides on the legendary arrow-looper. (Sorry if I went off topic)

• Like 1

I always hoped that when Vortex's time would come that they would do a send-off party similar to what Six Flags Great Adventure did for their Great American Scream Machine when it closed in 2010. But when it's nearly the end of the season with barely a month's notice, options are strictly limited...we'll see how Vortex is sent off in just a few weeks.

• Like 7

I always hoped that when Vortex's time would come that they would do a send-off party similar to what Six Flags Great Adventure did for their Great American Scream Machine when it closed in 2010. But when it's nearly the end of the season with barely a month's notice, options are strictly limited...we'll see how Vortex is sent off in just a few weeks.
That's honestly what upsets me the most, with something that been apart of KI for over 30 years it deserved more than a 30 day notice. That's what makes me really wonder if something was discovered? Or was this a decision all along?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

I’ve been around the park starting with the removal of King Cobra. I remember the removal saddened me as a kid/teen as it was just always there (even though I never got to ride it). Son of Beast’s removal would have been crushing if they’d removed it immediately after closing it the second time. Because it stayed dormant for three years, the removal didn’t affect me as much as it would have. I cried over Firehawk. Though I couldn’t ride it in it’s final days due to health issues, I enjoyed the innovative coaster’s presence at the park and that final backstage tour helped bring closure. And as for Vortex, I was initially saddened by the sudden closure, but now I’ve accepted it and am anticipating the future. My last ride is sure to be interesting, though.

• Like 1

I'm not big into heights but I do love most coasters after the hill. Love launch coasters and Woodies over steel only because the bulk of the wooden structure underneath me is comforting if ever I had to evacuate on the lift hill. King Cobra was one of my faves not to big a great night ride and different being a stand up. Mantis wasn't built yet when I last went to CP so I have no comparison to it.  I was sad when it closed. Delerium is not for me.

I absolutely loved Firehawk! Laying in my back watching the stars going up the lift hill was great. And then the flying was awesome to me, it felt like It was what flying like a super hero would be. 

KIAA Old with the two sides was way better than the new out in the sun replacements. I don't think Italian job/Backlot Stunt Coaster was worth taking the old autos out from the nicely shaded pathways and ride.   

I loved tomb raider the ride it was great and something I never would have ridden if it was just outdoors as a flat ride. The theming made it. The crypt ruined it and it just flipped around way too much and wasn't enjoyable to me. 

And I miss the backwards racer a lot. It was something my friend and I would ride continuously in the last row. It was awesome and forwards is just meh plus now my hips are to wide to fit with the extra padding they added. Or my fluff isn't in the same spots it used to be either way I'm not terribly sad I can't ride it going boring forwards LoL.

To date how long I haven't been to CP I just learned a couple weeks ago that one of my faves disaster transport is gone when they put in GateKeeper.  But that is a coaster I really look forward to trying soon. Maybe KI will put in a wing in the old Vortex spot or a dive. But those removals/changes stick out the most to me.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, teenageninja said:

King Cobra - Delirium

Skylab - Games

Flight Commander - Removed, then planned Drop Tower, then Eurobungie, then eventually Antique Autos

That is a good point!

I'll add one more - Ghoster Coaster - Surf Dog (definitely an upgrade)

• Like 1

When I was a kid, I was really excited about a new ride that had been advertised quite a lot coming to KI.  It was Amazon Falls and promised to be a great water ride from the advertising.  Getting to the park at the beginning of that season and seeing what it was, not only was I disappointed to see how short it was, but also that it had replaced Screamin’ Demon.  Which I loved.  I was still in earlier elementary school when this removal happened, but remember being sad that I didn’t know it was going to be my last ride on an upside-down coaster the year before. (Luckily I was reunited with Screamin’ Demon, which was named something else, for some last rides years later at Camden Park on a visit there).

There were some Coney Mall removals I was upset about in the 80’s as well. I Was disappointed the year I got to the park and Zodiac was gone.  Other than the train, That and the Flying Dutchman were my favorite rides when I was that age.  I have enjoyed the shoutouts to them with this year’s addition.  The latter left within a few years after Zodiac I believe(When AE was installed). Was disappointed when the Red, white and Blue (matching The Racer) slide, was relocated to Hannah Barbera Land and had the whole top section removed to shorten it.

I Remember being confused at a Winterfest one year wondering why they filled in the water “track” for the Smurf Ride.  Seeing a small kids coaster standing where the boats loaded, I stood in line for some hot chocolate at a nearby stand, staring at this situation wondering why they’d go through all that trouble only to have to put the boats back in the Spring?   That next season was when Phantom Theater came in and my beloved Smurfs were to be no more.  I held a grudge against that ride for a couple of years, but eventually learned to appreciate it.  And now, miss it as well.

I was pretty devastated about Les Taxis being removed for something that looked so ugly in an area that was so beautiful and added so much to the park.  Hated that our Eagles were taken out as it was my dad’s favorite ride.  He had ridden those at Coney Island as well and how disappointed he was when they were gone with no notice  beforehand made me angry they had been removed for no apparent reason as well.

When King Cobra was taken out, there were rumors someone on the same ride somewhere else Had died, or gotten hurt, and that KI couldn’t afford the insurance anymore.  Or some such tale, I cant remember exactly.  But I remember going with the rumor and being understanding about why it was removed. 

I saw Tumblebug replaced with Skylab which was a good replacement, but was upset when Skylab was taken out and not replaced with anything worthy.  That had been my mom’s favorite flat.

I was bummed out about the removal of Marathon Turnpike in HB Land, along with that little strip back there with the games and the ball pit to jump around in. Was also pretty bummed out about the Elephant Fountain being taken out.  Also was not the happiest when the spinning cauldrons were no more. 

I was just fine with SOB being removed as it hurt me to ride.  Not only was it a jerky, headache inducing  ride, but the trains and restraints were so cramped and uncomfortable.  As awesome as it looked, removing it was just fine with me.  I was fine with TRTR being removed as I only got a chance to ride it in its last year as the Crypt and was not impressed with it at all. And still had a grudge against it for Kenton’s Cove Keelboats being taken out for it anyways.

Until recently, the thing that I really believe that had upset me the most was when the train was converted to transportation for Water Works.  This removed all of the Cowboy scenes. I would ask to ride that train over and over again when I was a kid and I loved it.  While there are still a few remnants today that are nice to see as a warm reminder of what it used to be, I was pretty devasted when this change was made. 

I’ve seen a lot come and go at the park.  But not as much as others have.  I have seen many great additions and have seen a lot of things replaced with new things.  Such is progress.  Some have been hits, and some have been misses.

None of the things I have mentioned so far have hit me as hard emotionally as much as the announcement for the removal of Vortex.

Edited by WhatTheBlazes
Added to my Answer

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, HarvestmanMan said:

I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere yet: the removal of Thunder Alley was disappointing for me (and probably no one else). As far as I know it was the last gas-powered go-kart attraction in the Cincinnati area after Eastgate Adventures closed several years ago. 

Full Throttle is still open out in the Springdale area

On 10/2/2019 at 10:20 AM, teenageninja said:

King Cobra - Delirium

Skylab - Games

You're in kind of the same boat as me.  Is seeing rides open, enjoyed, and hit end of life all within your Kings Island "involvement" making you feel old yet?  Sure does for me!