What was your favorite year of Halloween Haunt/FearFest and why?

Hauntnerd2012

6 hours ago, Hauntnerd2012 said:

I've always been a fan of Kings Island's Halloween Haunt, and my favorite year of it being open has been 2012. This is because it was my first year experiencing anything like it. And Blood Drums had some of my favorite performances that year.

maxresdefault (2).jpg

For the exact same reason I have to pick 2018.

• Like 2

I’m not an over-the-top fan of the houses since many haven’t changed in years, but if I had to pick a favorite year I would say 2013 because we had both Alonzo and Hot Blooded. As far as the “look and feel” of the park, I think it’s this year, hands down. Such a big difference from last year which I think was the weakest Haunt in a long time.

• Like 2

2011. Without question.

Why? Two words...

Holiday Horror.

In its first year that was probably my favorite maze I had ever experienced at the park. I believe it was still pretty good in the years following, but with there being just a bit less effort put into it IIRC.

Close second would be 2010, as it was the last season featuring Trail of Terror, and I remember Urgent Scare being done exceptionally well that year as well.

• Like 3

I’m not sure if I could pick a year specifically as all the years I’ve been a regular attender (still including this year even though I’m a Scareactor), which has been since 2013, have been unique in some way. My first trip through Slaughter House was in 2013 (before they moved to Rivertown), Al (the giant troll in Coney) was put in a few years ago, Delta Delta Die and Club Blood were both cool Haunts that met their demise, Blood Drums has been rockin (though last year’s show was really cool and felt like a “greatest hits” show), the first year Backwoods Bayou opened up as a maze was super cool too. I’ve had a lot of great times at Haunt and expect to continue to even as an associate. :D

EDIT: I never did Holiday Horror, probably because I was afraid of Santa as a kid. However, I was a fan of Evil Santa as well as the Santa for Tinker’s Toy Factory.

• Like 3

I have not been to a lot of the haunts, but my fav was Fearfest 2001.  It was the first time I had been.  The music and atmosphere was great. Plus it was nice to see people out having a fun time as the 9/11 Terror attacks had only been a few weeks beforehand and everything was still pretty on edge and uncertain.

The night I went was kind of a foggy night anyways.  Had never seen anything like KI at night with all of the effects and fog machines.  Had 2 great rides on SOB, where because of the weather, couldn't see where we were going for over half the ride because of the fog.(Actual clouds coming down, not machines)  It was a great ambiance.  Loved Route 666 on the old 'tiques as well.

As an aside, I seem to remember CarnEvil being in Festhaus on this visit.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, WhatTheBlazes said:

I have not been to a lot of the haunts, but my fav was Fearfest 2001.  It was the first time I had been.  The music and atmosphere was great. Plus it was nice to see people out having a fun time as the 9/11 Terror attacks had only been a few weeks beforehand and everything was still pretty on edge and uncertain.

The night I went was kind of a foggy night anyways.  Had never seen anything like KI at night with all of the effects and fog machines.  Had 2 great rides on SOB, where because of the weather, couldn't see where we were going for over half the ride because of the fog.(Actual clouds coming down, not machines)  It was a great ambiance.  Loved Route 666 on the old 'tiques as well.

As an aside, I seem to remember CarnEvil being in Festhaus on this visit.

Route 666 appeared only one year: 2003, so that wouldn't have been in 2001 (if that's what you're saying)

Also, you are correct about CarnEvil being in the Festhaus.  They might have called it Circus of Horrors in 3D at the time but... it was CarnEvil.  They built a temporary structure on the right side as you enter, in front of Panda Express, before Panda was there.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I’m not an over-the-top fan of the houses since many haven’t changed in years, but if I had to pick a favorite year I would say 2013 because we had both Alonzo and Hot Blooded. As far as the “look and feel” of the park, I think it’s this year, hands down. Such a big difference from last year which I think was the weakest Haunt in a long time.

I strongly agree about last year. Minimal effort seemed to have been put into the scarezones and the number and variety of scare actors. This year is definitely a step up, especially with the new music and props throughout the park.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Route 666 appeared only one year: 2003, so that wouldn't have been in 2001 (if that's what you're saying)

Also, you are correct about CarnEvil being in the Festhaus.  They might have called it Circus of Horrors in 3D at the time but... it was CarnEvil.  They built a temporary structure on the right side as you enter, in front of Panda Express, before Panda was there.

I must have combined my memories of my 2001 and 2003 visits.  I know when I mentioned the SOB rides and fog it was 2001.

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 12:10 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

Maybe it's just me and I'm going again Friday night but I thought last year was better... I hated the techno all over and not really having a maestro on IS. Just felt like a bad goth club most places I was at.

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Oh man... has anyone had the heart to tell @FUN&ONLY! the news? :D

Sigh... I really wanted to finally be able to enjoy an actual well-themed Halloween event at the park. The Snickers theming that Six Flags takes the time to incorporate into their event is miles ahead of Kings Island’s Halloween Haunt which is missing all of the high quality Snickers theming. Maybe some day though...

• Haha 2