Six Flags Entertainment (SIX) in Bid to Acquire Cedar Fair L.P. (FUN) - Reuters

ohiocoasterfan

Here's a better link from @BeeastFarmer

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3503468-cedar-fair-six-flags-merger-report-discounted

Wells Fargo isn't sure that a combination of Cedar Fair (NYSE:FUN) and Six Flags Entertainment (NYSE:SIX) makes sense.

The firm calls the Reuters report a "stretch" because Six Flags doesn't have a CEO, the two theme park cultures are much different and a substantial premium would be required to acquire FUN to cover tax considerations for shareholders.

Cedar Fair is now only up 2.22% and Six Flags is down 1.20%.

In all honesty, I couldn't see CF working with Six because they're polar opposite companies imo.

I don’t see it happening to be quite honest, but maybe that’s just me really really hoping they don’t buy Cedar Fair. These past few years have been great for Kings Island and unfortunately I don’t think Six Flags would do a good job running the park.

I have been to two six flags parks.... it only took me the first hour in the first one i visited to realize how much i love Cedar Fair.

A deal like this would CHANGE EVERY ASPECT

bye. Tony.

Bye. Don

Bye. Simple dinning plan.

Bye. Good maintance of coasters, park, landscape.

Hellllloooooo One train ops

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

Saw this on twitter of course nothing is confirmed, maybe this has something to do with Six Flags being at Kings Island a few weeks ago, thoughts?

I remember when this happened and thought nothing of it at the time, but does anyone have a link to the thread, I am having trouble finding it.

3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I made a petition to try and make this not happen.

http://chng.it/KmLPyd2r5B

Not to pop your bubble or anything but a petition isnt going to do anything. Like the one for the Coney Island rides. It's the fact if this does happen which i hope it DOES NOT. There is nothing we can do about it besides sit back and watch our beautiful park come tumbling down. :( 

Potential pros:

Cheaper season passes/memberships, longer operating season, more coasters and rides open for Winterfest, Winterest open during the early afternoon, free souvenir cup with refills with the top dining plan, more dining plan options, a snack with the dining plan, more parks in the chain get a new ride almost every year, cheaper All Season Flash Pass/Fast Lane.

Potential cons:

more restrictive dining plan hours, extra fees like tube rentals in water parks and some rides may not allow phones in line, possible worse operations and more closed rides, parks with a current Six Flags near them could suffer, parks are more crowded because of cheap season pass prices, more ads throughout the parks and coaster trains could be wrapped with advertisements, few or no more major coaster investments.

• Like 1

Aight. I'mma head out.

The only thing worse in my mind than a Vortex-less Kings Island is a Flagged Kings Island. I've been to many Six Flags parks. Only one of which qualifies as "better than average" in my mind and that's Great America. The only winner here would be Six Flags who would finally have a few decent parks in their portfolio.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Six Flags is synonymous in my mind with cheapness (and not in the way that means affordability). It's the McDonald's of amusement parks, and I can't see Six Flags lavishing the care on parks and respect for history that, say, Kings Island did last summer. 

I really hope this isn't true; it would really mean the downfall of many of these parks. 

• Like 3

Back in August Jim Cramer talked about both Six Flags and Cedar Fair stock, saying the latter was the better buy based on the stock being cheaper (based on earnings estimates/share) and having a higher dividend yield. I wonder if Cramer had any idea about a buyout. 

I wonder, if true, what the actual offer price is for Cedar Fair.  If it were the other way around (Cedar Fair purchasing Six Flags), I would be all for it.  As others have expressed, Six Flags, while there are some good parks, do not seem to keep their parks as well maintained as Cedar Fair does.  I believe it was The Interpreter that long said the two chains would eventually unite.

• Like 2

The thing I would approve of is a merge. Like Cedar Fair still runs the parks the way they are and they also upgrade the Six Flags parks too. I would not approve of Six Flags themselves just running the parks. That would be a mistake. I say what should happen if something is reached is Cedar Fair keeps running the biggest parks and maybe gives Six Flags the smaller parks.

• Like 2