Six Flags Entertainment (SIX) in Bid to Acquire Cedar Fair L.P. (FUN) - Reuters

ohiocoasterfan

My first thought is that I hope it isn't true.  Secondly, if it were true, I would wish for it to be reversed, with FUN taking over SIX.  However, the money needed to bring SIX parks up to FUN standards would be astronomical.  I say it's best to let them stay separate.

• Like 1

I know many of you are new here, but as CoastersRZ mentioned above, The Interpreter often mentioned this merger / acquisition, and told us that it was on the horizon for sooner than later. He predicted this long ago, and as for his reasoning, it all makes sense now. 

Just a side note here, but if any of you think this wont happen, you may be right. For now. But it will come back up, and eventually, chances are that this will be a thing. 

• Like 2

Just now, TheBEASTunchained said:

I know many of you are new here, but as CoastersRZ mentioned above, The Interpreter often mentioned this merger / acquisition, and told us that it was on the horizon for sooner than later. He predicted this long ago, and as for his reasoning, it all makes sense now. 

What was his reasoning?

It's long been speculated that one of the bigger factors preventing a Six Flags merger is Cedar Fair's tax advantage as a limited partnership. A merged entity would almost certainly be a taxable corporation rather than a pass-through partnership.

I really hope this doesn't go through. I'd hate to see a combined chain with as much debt as this deal would create, and I'd hate to see the Six Flags management style applied to any of the Cedar Fair parks.

• Like 7

Agreed.  If this was Cedar Fair purchasing Six Flags, I would be more for it, but would still be weary of the debt that is being incurred.  Since this is just speculation right now, I wonder if and when we get confirmation that this deal is a go or no go.

• Like 2

image.gifimage.gifInterpreter's post from 2013.

The nature of business is such that it's highly unlikely. I think it is most likely that at some point Six Flags and Cedar Fair will merge. Barring that, I can see Disney or Universal's owner (whoever THAT may be at the time) acquiring Cedar Fair. Currently, the limited partnership structure, after Mr. Dick Kinzel's attempt to sell out the unitholders (while saving a King's ransom for himself and his family) will make any sale or merger difficult.

image.gif

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fitzcoasts14 said:

This most likely won't happen. Six Flags takes pride in important and iconic rides like any other park. The Beast is probably the most iconic coaster in history.

Important and iconic rides like Colossus or Rolling Thunder, right?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Kifan6754 said:

I really don’t think this will happen Cedar Fair is to smart to let sixflags take over there big parks 

Why would Cedar Fair care who takes them over? If they pay enough money that’s all the shareholders care about.

• Like 4

I am sure that the board is doing their due diligence on the proposal.  

Yes, back in the day, not long after Cedar Fair had purchased the parks, the unit price was really low, and they struck a deal with Apollo to take the company private, paying something ridiculous like $11.50 a unit for them.  Read more on that here:  https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cedarfair/apollos-deal-for-cedar-fair-collapses-idUSTRE6353ZU20100406

1 hour ago, JonahWilliamson said:

I have been to two six flags parks.... it only took me the first hour in the first one i visited to realize how much i love Cedar Fair.

A deal like this would CHANGE EVERY ASPECT

bye. Tony.

Bye. Don

Bye. Simple dinning plan.

Bye. Good maintance of coasters, park, landscape.

Hellllloooooo One train ops

Okay, I get why enthusiasts don't like Six Flags. Train wraps aren't pretty. Magic Mountain and SFA are dumps. SFNE's operations almost seem like they're intended to be as exasperating and slow as possible.

This post, however, is hyperbolic. You realize that Six Flags parks HAVE PR folks, right? And many SF parks have decent operations? And some of their parks like Great America, Great Adventure, Over Texas, Over Georgia, and Fiesta Texas are, dare I say it, pretty? This is like saying all Cedar Fair parks are sterile because you maybe didn't like how treeless and concrete-y Michigan's Adventure and Dorney Park are. A lot of enthusiasts are determined to paint the entire SIX chain with broad strokes, and I personally don't feel like that's particularly fair.

Not to mention that the folks at SIX HQ aren't the same ones who acquired parks twenty years ago, and we have no true indication yet how this administration will handle the Six Flags-ification of places like Darien Lake and Frontier City (outside of a name change.) The people at the top surely aren't robots who sit in meetings and go, "Beep boop, must change the ride names to DC characters' names." Note that both parks' 2020 additions do not feature IP. I think that sort of polarized expectation makes more sense for Kinzel's Cedar Fair, actually.

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the idea of SIX buying FUN. Why? Because, if I can do some armchair CEOing, I honestly don't feel like SIX's current "add something to every park every year" is that great of a business model. Perhaps that brings in people, but the scope of the rides they're adding feel a little small across the board, except for whichever park happens to get the coaster for the year. It feels like the highly-performing parks are carrying the dead weight of the underperforming ones. That, combined with the "guess when it's gonna open" construction schedule, makes a lot of their additions feel a little forgettable. But at the same time, they're adding flat rides, which Cedar Fair seems to be a little hesitant to do across all of their parks, so it's not the worst thing ever. At least they don't have any completely stagnant parks.

• Haha 1