Jump to content
ohiocoasterfan

Six Flags Entertainment (SIX) in Bid to Acquire Cedar Fair L.P. (FUN) - Reuters

Recommended Posts

I would be happy if the lower tier CF parks get sold. Valleyfair, WoF, Michigan's Adventure, Dorney, etc. They need some coaster work, as in better coasters than their current lineups (I'm looking at you Michigan's Adventure).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm starting to really doubt Cedar Fair will sell their company. I believe if anything they'd just sell a few smaller parks. I don't believe they would sell Kings Island or Cedar Point. Definitely not Cedar Point. Plus, Cedar Fair has been pouring a lot of money into Kings Island lately so I don't think they would sell it. Also, I believe there is always rumors of companies buying out other companies. Like last year with the Six Flags buying out SeaWorld rumors and Merlin buying out the Busch Gardens parks. I'm starting to doubt this would happen. I definitely don't think Cedar Fair would sell Cedar Point. Also with them really wanting to build up CGA and Carowinds I don't think they'd want to sell those either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it's real either. My theory is that CF and SF were working on putting together some kind of deal (selling off a park or two, etc.) and it caused the rumor mill to spin up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What few realize, is that the smaller Cedar Fair parks offer the company some geographic diversity.  If Ohio has a crummy wet summer, but Kansas City has record a record year, that will help to balance out the soft summer season at the Ohio parks.  That was one of the pitches of the Schlitterbahn acquisition, was that they were further diversifying their geographic reach, so a bad summer in one market won`t negatively impact the finances of the company.  If they sold off some of these smaller parks, they loose that advantage.

Hopefully, this turns out to be nothing but a nasty rumor.  I too would fear what would happen to events like Grand Carnivale and the Royal Finale.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

What few realize, is that the smaller Cedar Fair parks offer the company some geographic diversity.  If Ohio has a crummy wet summer, but Kansas City has record a record year, that will help to balance out the soft summer season at the Ohio parks.  That was one of the pitches of the Schlitterbahn acquisition, was that they were further diversifying their geographic reach, so a bad summer in one market won`t negatively impact the finances of the company.  If they sold off some of these smaller parks, they loose that advantage.

Hopefully, this turns out to be nothing but a nasty rumor.  I too would fear what would happen to events like Grand Carnivale and the Royal Finale.

Simple: “Grand Carnivale brought to you exclusively by Takis!” or “Enjoy the Royale Finale presented by Snickers!” And while they are at it, they can theme the left side of International Street to Left Twix and the right side of International Street to Right Twix!

  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

What few realize, is that the smaller Cedar Fair parks offer the company some geographic diversity.  If Ohio has a crummy wet summer, but Kansas City has record a record year, that will help to balance out the soft summer season at the Ohio parks.  That was one of the pitches of the Schlitterbahn acquisition, was that they were further diversifying their geographic reach, so a bad summer in one market won`t negatively impact the finances of the company.  If they sold off some of these smaller parks, they loose that advantage.

Hopefully, this turns out to be nothing but a nasty rumor.  I too would fear what would happen to events like Grand Carnivale and the Royal Finale.

That's a really interesting point that I hadn't considered at all. If I recall correctly though, aren't there parks in the chain that Cedar Fair has signaled they're open to selling? I feel like I've heard talk of CF wanting to sell Great America for a while.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect this might be very real as far as "the offer" is concerned. In 2010 the FUN shareholders did not approve the Apollo Global Management takeover, so we've sorta been her before. Although this is different for sure. Unfortunately there's a million details that have yet to see the light of day so who knows? But I bet we hear a lot more soon! The fact Cedar Fair did not immediately deny that an offer has been made tells me an offer has been made or is in the works.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ldhudsonjr said:

That's a really interesting point that I hadn't considered at all. If I recall correctly though, aren't there parks in the chain that Cedar Fair has signaled they're open to selling? I feel like I've heard talk of CF wanting to sell Great America for a while.

I thought CGA is one of the parks Cedar Fair wants to build up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I thought CGA is one of the parks Cedar Fair wants to build up. 

That's the one they recently bought land they had previously been leasing right? What I read was that they had done that to make it easier to sell in the future.

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t Cedar Fair still own a ton of that Geauga Lake land? I highly doubt this, but maybe Six Flags wants to buy some of that property off Cedar Fair for future development. I am not sure Cedar Fair would do this, however, because it would compete against Cedar Point. Last I heard, though, was that Cedar Fair was having a hard time selling that land. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I suspect this might be very real as far as "the offer" is concerned. In 2010 the FUN shareholders did not approve the Apollo Global Management takeover, so we've sorta been her before. Although this is different for sure. Unfortunately there's a million details that have yet to see the light of day so who knows? But I bet we hear a lot more soon! The fact Cedar Fair did not immediately deny that an offer has been made tells me an offer has been made or is in the works.

Jim Reid-Anderson, CEO of Six Flags, used to be an adviser to Apollo Global Management. That's an interesting tid-bit. I think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I thought CGA is one of the parks Cedar Fair wants to build up. 

Priorities change. They were supposed to get a hyper in 2020 but that hasn't gone past speculation found when they announced their future development plans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Priorities change. They were supposed to get a hyper in 2020 but that hasn't gone past speculation found when they announced their future development plans. 

Things can be delayed though. I believe Yukon Striker was delayed a few years. I still believe CGA will eventually get their hyper. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Things can be delayed though. I believe Yukon Striker was delayed a few years. I still believe CGA will eventually get their hyper. 

I’m on the same page as you, I wouldn’t be surprised if their hyper is in the same situation Yukon striker is and is already paid for and it’s just postponed. It would also explain the “missing” hyper coaster track letter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't quite understand what you mean here. 

Two parks one city maybe? If that's the case there are a couple metro areas in California with two professional baseball teams, two football teams...I'm sure they can handle two Amusement Parks as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Isn't the city of Aurora trying to develop that land? 

I think it is something like that, but last I’ve checked, Cedar Fair has still not been able to sell it all off. They had to hire a price real-estate group to sell it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think it is something like that, but last I’ve checked, Cedar Fair has still not been able to sell it all off. They had to hire a price real-estate group to sell it.

Idk why they haven't tried something like a campground with ziplines, lake activities, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would think Cedar Fair would want to get a statement out on this issue in the near future. This will definitely not help with 2020 season passes if they let this roll on throughout the rest of haunt and winterfest without a response.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SonofBaconator said:

Idk why they haven't tried something like a campground with ziplines, lake activities, etc.

That would be a great idea honestly. That would make it more like it was before Six Flags took over, and the locals would also be excited about that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ohiocoasterfan said:

I would think Cedar Fair would want to get a statement out on this issue in the near future. This will definitely not help with 2020 season passes if they let this roll on throughout the rest of haunt and winterfest without a response.

Maybe Six Flags is just trying to sabotage Cedar Fair’s season pass sales? LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I would think Cedar Fair would want to get a statement out on this issue in the near future. This will definitely not help with 2020 season passes if they let this roll on throughout the rest of haunt and winterfest without a response.

So you think the average season pass buyer is contemplating buying 2020 based on a transfer of ownership? I highly doubt that. Not in the short-term, and certainly not at Kings Island when the 300-footer is already being built. Anyone who owns a few shares of FUN might be very interested in a statement, though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ohiocoasterfan said:

I would think Cedar Fair would want to get a statement out on this issue in the near future. This will definitely not help with 2020 season passes if they let this roll on throughout the rest of haunt and winterfest without a response.

https://ir.cedarfair.com/news/news-details/2019/Cedar-Fair-Executives-to-Participate-in-the-B-Riley-FBR-Consumer--Media-Conference-October-3rd-in-New-York-City-Webcast-Available/default.aspx

Whatever this is supposed to be, well it is apparently tomorrow. It mentions a webcast of some sort with the CEO, so maybe, just maybe, some questions will be answered here. I am not saying that this is for sure, and I really don't know what this is exactly, so feel free to correct me if I am completely wrong.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

https://ir.cedarfair.com/news/news-details/2019/Cedar-Fair-Executives-to-Participate-in-the-B-Riley-FBR-Consumer--Media-Conference-October-3rd-in-New-York-City-Webcast-Available/default.aspx

Whatever this is supposed to be, well it is tomorrow. It mentions a webcast of some sort with the CEO, so maybe, just maybe, some questions will be answered here. I am not saying that this is for sure, and I really don't know what this is, so feel free to tell me if I am completely wrong.

Nice! Gonna be a big elephant in the room too, so...hopefully some answers.  :-)  Thank you!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hoeter said:

Something I’ve thought about over the course of the last few hours. Let’s say it goes through. Take LA for example as you have SFMM and Knotts. What happens there?

 

I’m not sure what other markets besides that one in particular is there an overlap between CF and SIX.

 

If this has already been discussed, please forgive me.

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Likely nothing would happen. There’s still Disney. Might have to sell a Bay Area park, but I kind of doubt that. 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...