Which coasters are rough? First trip in a long time this Sun (10/6)

Buck9s

Which are the roughest coasters at KI, and how bad are they?  Which are the smoothest?  

It's been 15 years since I've been to KI to focus on the coasters (due to life...) but I'm going this Sunday with my 10 year daughter.  We do CP every year and she rides everything there but I want to avoid a coaster that will just shake me around and give me a headache, like (the old) Mean Streak and Corkscrew do at CP.

Also, any idea what the crowds will be like on a Sunday in the fall?  I thinking about buying a Fast Lane pass, because along with not wanting a headache I don't want to wait in long lines either (I'm definitely a fair-weather coaster lover).  I good with 30 minutes but if lines for the best coaster will be a hour then I would want the Fast Lane.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Have your eyes set on Diamondback, Banshee, Beast, Mystic

Beast is rough for older people (not calling you old)

My technique with beast is lean forward just a tad and keep my hand on the seat in front of me.

moving on...

After those coasters next in line would be Flight of Fear, The Bat, and Adventure Express is a zippy mine train.

Racer is a old woodie but not bad.

I would say Invertigo (aka faceoff for the last time you might have been there) and Vortex are rough

I recommend one final ride on Vortex but all up to you. Invertigo and Vortex are the only ones that give me a headache. 

Hope you enjoy your trip man! Dont be afraid to message me if you have any other questions!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Buck9s said:

Which are the roughest coasters at KI, and how bad are they?  Which are the smoothest?  

It's been 15 years since I've been to KI to focus on the coasters (due to life...) but I'm going this Sunday with my 10 year daughter.  We do CP every year and she rides everything there but I want to avoid a coaster that will just shake me around and give me a headache, like (the old) Mean Streak and Corkscrew do at CP.

Also, any idea what the crowds will be like on a Sunday in the fall?  I thinking about buying a Fast Lane pass, because along with not wanting a headache I don't want to wait in long lines either (I'm definitely a fair-weather coaster lover).  I good with 30 minutes but if lines for the best coaster will be a hour then I would want the Fast Lane.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Depends on your definition of what rough is. I’m having a milestone birthday this upcoming week, and really don’t find any of the coasters rough. Racer and The Beast can be rough if you sit on the wheels. Vortex can be rough if you don’t watch the track for its changes. Be a smart rider, and you’ll do well.

He is my thing with Vortex and kids.  With the old overhead restraints kids heads can get slammed around pretty bad and a few years ago it completely ruined our day at the park with my then 11 year old and we had to go home.  He is now 5"9' and rode it this summer and was fine, still rough but no headbanging like last time.  It is one of the coasters that is survivable if you know how to "ride it correctly".   If you want to give it a go maybe make it the last ride of the day.

• Like 1

Beast in back wheel seats (1-3, 2-3, etc) can be pretty bad.  Racer is bad in pretty much any wheel seat sans 1-1, though, Blue Racer has been getting much, much better in front wheel seats.  I had the best Racer ride of my life at the Haunt opening night in a wheel seat towards the middle of the train on Blue (I want to say 4-1). 

I have noticed Bat has been getting a more noticeable vibration this season, mostly around the far helix, not really rough though.  More like a light rumble strip on the highway.  Flight of Fear has that worse along with more of a rattle than most people say DB and Banshee have (BTW, the 'rattle' on our B&M's don't bother me in the slightest). 

I wouldn't say Vortex and Invertigo are 'rough' per say, its just the way Vekoma and Arrow set their wheel bases, it has a lot of give for shuffling, which results in headbanging.  I can ride both pretty comfortably, albeit with some body control.  Adventure Express is that way as well, but it gets points for only having a lap bar.  

Invertigo is hands down the roughest and worst ride in the park. But thats just my opinion. Way way too much headbanging. While I sometimes get lucky and get good rides on Vortex I never get a good ride on Invertigo. I've rode my favorites like Diamondback, Banshee, Mystic Timber, The Beast, and Flight of Fear over 50 times this year. Invertigo maybe twice. I agree that The Racer can be Rough. Beast on the other hand I will ride back row all night long if given the chance. 

You may not need fastlane on Sunday.

• Like 1

Invertigo is a pretty terrible ride as far as roughness.  It will bang your head and possibly whip your neck around.  Esp if you have a child, this ride could easily ruin their day and possibly yours.  The Train they use this year is from Stinger and is a lot worse of a ride than our old train was IMO.  After riding this back in August, I swore it off and will not go on it ever again.  

Flight of Fear is probably the next most intense.  It's old and rough and jerky.  I enjoy riding it, so does my son, but my daughter does not. They are 12 and 11.  

Sit in a middle seat of Beast or Racer.  Row 2, Row 5 etc.  Stay in these seats that do not have wheels directly below.  The farther towards the front, the better.  Front seat Row 1 isn't too bad either.  If you ride Racer, don't ride Red, it is a lot more rough than Blue.  Stick with Blue for this one.  

AE is a fun Mine ride.  Smoothest rides are in the middle part of the car again.  Get whipped more the farther back in the train you are which I enjoy and usually opt for backrow or closest to it.

Vortex can be crazy for shorter people because of head banging on the old over the shoulder restraints. Can lean forward to avoid getting ears boxed, but could still hurt neck if younger and neck is not as strong.   If you do ride it, sit in the front part of Car 7 of the train.  This will be the best ride.  

Italian Job can be a bit rough depending which train and where you sit at on the train.  Try sitting closer to the front even though they assign seats.  

Pro Tip:  Don't brace yourself on any of the coasters.  Relax and stay loose and this will help to go with the ride and not get as much of a beat up feeling on those that are rougher.  Esp the woodies.

Have fun  

• Like 1