I’m Writing the First KI History Book!

KIghostguy

• 1 month later...

I can’t wait for everyone to read Kings Island: A Ride Through Time in spring 2021, when it will be published by Rivershore Creative! The book is moving full-steam ahead once again now that I have a contract signed with the new publisher. I promise that the wait will be worth it, as I’ve been spending this time filling the book with more content, more interviews, and more incredible stories.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MDMC01 said:

That is great news; still looking forward to it! Thanks for the update! :D Is it known where the book will be sold (online, in the park, at Barnes and Noble, etc.)?

We don’t have anything finalized since I just signed the contract, but we certainly want this sold in bookstores, the park, etc. I know that the book will be sold in paperback, hardcover, and Kindle editions.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

So would we expect it to be out this next Spring or earlier?

Nevermind, I found the details above and see Spring 20201

Yes, next spring just works better. I think it's better to use this time to add more to it, rather than try to rush it out before the end of the season or Christmas. Plus, I don't think people are in the mood to buy a Kings Island book right now with everything going on. At least by the spring, the presidential election will be over!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIghostguy said:

At least by the spring, the presidential election will be over!

That’s what I miss about being young...I haven’t been an optimist in years! :lol:

I am really looking forward to your book! (The delay also gives you the opportunity to include a little bit about the park during this COVID time period if you choose.)

• Like 2

I think from a historical perspective, looking at how KI and other parks are handling (in the future, it will be the past tense of handled) the COVID-19 pandemic will be valuable information to future readers. I have quite a few Time Magazine issues that I'm planning to keep around for purely historical reasons (such as the Blackout that occurred in 2003 or information on the SARS pandemic). Also, I think there are lessons to be learned from past events; hindsight is 20/20 after all...

• Like 1

I went back and forth over whether or not to do a section on COVID, and ultimately I decided not to. It's still an ongoing situation, so I feel that writing a section about it and its impact would be premature. Additionally, I want to end the book on a positive note. Right now, the narrative ends with Orion's opening, and that's what I want the book to end on, not on COVID. There will be a portion within the Orion section talking about how coronavirus impacted the construction and opening of Orion, but there will not be a dedicated COVID section in the book.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

2 years, 2 publishers, and 43 interviews later, I sent the final manuscript into the publisher today! One step closer to its release this spring. There’s a lot of amazing things going on right now with Kings Island: A Ride Through Time, so stay tuned for more details in the coming weeks!

• Like 10

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this project in print as I think Kings Island is honestly one of the few parks out there that really deserve more regard for the historical importance it has. Hopefully you have some waterpark history in there as I think it is more interesting than what most would be led on to believe. (and personally is one of the only places I can 100% say I've seen/heard paranormal activity at in the park)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BB1 said:

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this project in print as I think Kings Island is honestly one of the few parks out there that really deserve more regard for the historical importance it has. Hopefully you have some waterpark history in there as I think it is more interesting than what most would be led on to believe. (and personally is one of the only places I can 100% say I've seen/heard paranormal activity at in the park)

Yes, there are sections delving pretty deep into the development of the waterpark through the years. The story behind why it was built in the first place is one of the most interesting in the whole book, in my opinion! I can’t wait for you to read it!

I’m curious about your paranormal experiences? I know you’ve mentioned it before on here, but I don’t think you’ve ever gone into detail.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Yes, there are sections delving pretty deep into the development of the waterpark through the years. The story behind why it was built in the first place is one of the most interesting in the whole book, in my opinion! I can’t wait for you to read it!

I’m curious about your paranormal experiences? I know you’ve mentioned it before on here, but I don’t think you’ve ever gone into detail.

So background: KI MVRR used to circuit near/around the lazy river area of the park, this will be of importance later, and did such a circuit until Water Works was built. As well, the waterpark/parking lot is where many have seen/heard Missouri Jane, again this is important for later.

I had a tenure as a lifeguard at KI for awhile as I wanted to work the park that I knew and loved. While at the park however, I learned a lot more about waterpark operations and just how the whole place operates. I also was trained as a lifeguard so I did the bobbing head motion, this is also important. So the first occurrence happened when it was overcast and it was pretty slow. I was at the scanning area after the mushroom, with a clear view towards the tube shed. While I was scanning (Bobbing my head up and down mind you) in the corner of my eye I swear I saw a tall man, in bib overalls (akin to what train engineers wear), walking briskly towards me as if he was trying to get somewhere quick. He was about maybe 7-9 feet away minimum. I bobbed my head again and looked down towards where he was coming from (not taking my eyes off the water but you can notice things coming by, by looking down the water) and he was gone. This was within just a moment, no chance for him to have moved away or past me at all. Remember how the train went in this area? Just so happened that this area is again next to where the train used to operate around the same curvature that a conductor would walk!

Later on that same week mind you, we went down for weather and everyone was at the entrance of the river. As we were standing there I hear, clear as day, "Hey OP!" in a feminine voice. Now, this voice came from up towards the walkway going to the children's areas. Two female guards were making their way down to our area and I decided to just wait to see what they say. So, they come down, I ask them hey what did you want? They did not hear any voice calling my name, nor did they call out for me. Mind you, I've been coming to the waterpark since 2004, I worked at the waterpark for about two years at this point, I know when people call my name. This was honestly creepy as I know of the Missouri Jane stories, but I haven't heard of the name calling before. I knew in that instant, that had to be her, and after the "engineer" sighting it only solidified my opinion that the waterpark is the most haunted part of the park period. Mind you, I have had a few paranormal experiences, uneasiness at battlegrounds, burial sites, but never have I ever seen a full body apparition and heard a voice call me at any point ever after this. 

Just some food for thought: it is believed that storms with electricity can help facilitate the capacity for ghosts to manifest. Also, water could also help that in some circles.  

I know this is probably more like a page in a book, but there was a lot of details that need to be said. I never felt like I shouldn't be at the park, nor that any entities didn't like me being there. Rather, it was more like they were showing themselves as hey we are here too. 

• Like 2

On 1/14/2021 at 7:25 AM, Dj325 said:

Is the book by any chance available for pre-ordering? If so, where?

Not yet. Still a little too early. Right now, we're finalizing the actual contents and layout of the book.

1 hour ago, Dj325 said:

Maybe after you do the history book for KI, maybe you could do a book explaining the lore/backstory behind Area 72. It could be called, "Tales From AREA 72: And Other Extra Terrestrial Discoveries".

Within the Orion section, there's a part walking through the different storyline concepts for Orion and Area 72, and how it developed into what we ended up with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

Not yet. Still a little too early. Right now, we're finalizing the actual contents and layout of the book.

Within the Orion section, there's a part walking through the different storyline concepts for Orion and Area 72, and how it developed into what we ended up with.

https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/37680-the-orion-theory/&tab=comments#comment-880551

• 1 month later...

Any updates on this book yet?

I just bought Ken Miller’s Rolling Through The Years book for Cedar Point, and am excited for this one now. I loved the annual park maps/year by year break down in Ken’s book. Does your book include these at all, or is it more narrative driven? I feel super spoiled after Ken’s book, and am SO excited to have a book from my home park now. 

7 hours ago, thejej said:

Any updates on this book yet?

I just bought Ken Miller’s Rolling Through The Years book for Cedar Point, and am excited for this one now. I loved the annual park maps/year by year break down in Ken’s book. Does your book include these at all, or is it more narrative driven? I feel super spoiled after Ken’s book, and am SO excited to have a book from my home park now. 

We’re finalizing the last couple details right now. Expect a formal announcement very soon!

The book will be very narratively-driven. There are photos, concept art, and maps, but the focus is on the personal stories of the 41 executives I interviewed from throughout the park’s history.

• Like 5

Since you are a KI expert, could you tell us the reason why Space Ghost and Birdman didn't appear in the parks? They are my two favorite HB characters (besides the Phantom Virus, but he's from 2001) and I wonder why they never used the action characters. I bet kids would love them.

• 2 weeks later...