Webcam Outage Discussion

JonahWilliamson

2 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I stand corrected on the whole park not actually saying what it is issue.  I'm going by the call @IndyGuy4KI made to the park, but to me, that was good enough and is still the park going out of their way.  They didn't have to give him an explanation and it obviously isn't important enough to them given what they are working on currently, nor should it be IMO.  They're still documenting Orion going up without the webcams which is good enough for me.   

However, its still the case that the park doesn't owe an explanation and we're likely not going to get an explanation for something so insignificant.  This whole thing is stopped cold by that fact.  

I really don't think we need to fall into the trap of "They don't owe you an explanation… etc" conversation.  Again, it's a business not a charity.  They do what they do for a reason, and it ain't just to be nice.  However, in the interest of fairness I do believe their statement about it being turned off because upgrades involving WF.  I don't think they cut power to the tower or anything like that.  I think they are trying to fix the network issues they've had all year and the web cams are incredibly low on their priority list since they need to not only be ready for WF but also operate this entire weekend.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Oh, that's weird.  I know a ton of people that have both the cup plan and the refillable plan for no reason.  Like, the only paid for one.  That's an odd glitch.  Seems like your issue is different from that.  I'm a little surprised it allows that.

They told me that the option to have a paper and a souvenir cup on a single pass is "intended".  In fact, that was one of the "concessions" they offered to try to fix the problem because they said the cup is not actually tied to the pass, it's tied to the barcode on the cup itself.  Having 2 paper cup plans on a single pass is not "supposed to be able to happen."   At least according to the gold tag who is manager of the entire department. (Not wanting to name names).

8 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I stand corrected on the whole park not actually saying what it is issue.  I'm going by the call @IndyGuy4KI made to the park, but to me, that was good enough and is still the park going out of their way.  The other reason that's good enough for me is because I imagine Brad introduced himself as an admin here thus they knew in that context it would be spread as a kind of official statement.  

Yes, because everyone who watched the webcams was also on KIC to read this "Official Statement"... oh lord.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rallyomalley said:

They told me that the option to have a paper and a souvenir cup on a single pass is "intended".  In fact, that was one of the "concessions" they offered to try to fix the problem because they said the cup is not actually tied to the pass, it's tied to the barcode on the cup itself.  Having 2 paper cup plans on a single pass is not "supposed to be able to happen."   At least according to the gold tag who is manager of the entire department. (Not wanting to name names).

In his defense, he's a F&B guy, not an IT guy.  If something happens that isn't supposed to happen they're probably just as surprised (and maybe even frustrated) as you. My guess is that these programming errors will be fixed over time.  Maybe.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rallyomalley said:

I chose the paper cup plan and once in a while the employee working the checkout asks me if I want a bottle. I always say no for 2 reasons. I don't want to carry around a bottle all day and I assume I would have to pay extra for it.

10 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

In his defense, he's a F&B guy, not an IT guy.  If something happens that isn't supposed to happen they're probably just as surprised (and maybe even frustrated) as you. My guess is that these programming errors will be fixed over time.  Maybe.

Not trying to be contrarian, but I wasn't dealing with MB or anyone from F&B  I was dealing with the head of Guess Services (or whatever they call it).

SHE is the one who called Sandusky and had the IT folks investigate. 

I don't know what the issue really is but I do work in IT for large corporations.  If some type of upgrade caused an outage, then you work to get the most critical systems online first.  I am sure the webcams are closer to the bottom of that list.  It also could have been an outage that prompted them to attempt a long standing upgrade and has not gone as planned or hoped.  They could have been spending most of their week trying to get systems back online for more critical business systems.  Or they did start a planned upgrade that had issues but then another more critical system had an outage that the IT guys have to focus on.

Unless there is some legal reason they don't want the lift hill construction to be online and visible.  It has to be some similar scenario of an IT upgrade or outage they are experiencing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

Or maybe we could quit *****ing about it and let the park speak when and if they're ready??

How about you take the lead and stop talking about it. :lol: I understand what you are trying to get at, but you are severely contradicting yourself by your continuous responses to this thread.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Rallyomalley said:

I miss the webcams because it let me see if it was raining at the park.  I don't like the thought of diving 35 minutes to find out if it's raining.

If you Google weather bug Kings Island it had a camera facing Eiffel Tower from I street restaurant. I think it updates every 5-10 mins or so. Also the time laspe it's interesting to watch on it with the lights going off and weird spots that show up overnight when the park is dark. 

Edited by LuckyluvsKI
Spelling errors

1 hour ago, Rallyomalley said:

Not trying to be contrarian, but I wasn't dealing with MB or anyone from F&B  I was dealing with the head of Guess Services (or whatever they call it).

SHE is the one who called Sandusky and had the IT folks investigate. 

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying you dealt with the head of foods. 

9 hours ago, spooky21 said:

I know of a few longtime members who will remain nameless who have left the site. All because of how some of you are, posting something off topic, going on a debate, whatever. Look at other coaster forums. None of them are like this. Even TPR is more on topic and in line, and that's saying something.

1. This isn't a coaster forum, but a park-specific forum. I hate to knitpick at that point but I feel there is important enough a distinction to be made. Non-park specific coaster forums (CoasterForce, TPR, Coasterbuzz) etc. have a much broader following, spread out amongst several different parks, so you're not going to find as many intense disagreements over small things that some are very passionate about as you would find on a park-specific forum (I-Street fountains come to mind). We're also one of the most, if not the most active park-specific forums (sans the Disney ones) out there which makes it even harder to keep the culture under control.

2. There isn't much acting out on TPR, in large part due to their posters living under constant fear of being insta-banned and/or brutally lambasted by the mods/admins, sometimes at even the slightest disagreement or issue they have with said mods/admins. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer the "dangerous freedom" we have here even if it means threads like this happening every once in a while as a result. 

3. I feel this whole "KIC isn't what it used to be" has been claimed so many times throughout the years that its lost virtually all meaning.

In my time here alone (since 2010) I recall it being brought up during the Son of Beast SBNO era (2009-2012), Banshee speculation (2013), MT speculation (2016), and unsurprisingly it came up once again during Orion speculation, and is coming up once again now. I can't speak on anytime before 2009-2010, but I bet its brought up several times even before then.

As far I'm concerned, the "what has happened to KIC?" narrative has become the equivalent of older people claiming they "used to be able to leave their doors unlocked".

• Like 7

1 hour ago, JubJester said:

Wow. Awesome. Hey, have you heard about the webcams?

Not at all. I have a drone if I need pics for myself. I'm not an entitled enthusiast sorry but not sorry. I'm just curious though, if your so concerned about the cams why not direct that at the park? Instead of ya know clogging up this forum? My thoughts are that maybe for the lift and drop they don't want the cams up? Maybe it's a concern with safety after the YK incident? Could be wrong but don't really care. I'm done debating with you guys about this it's silly. Do you freak out on Walmart if their cams are off too? Does KI owe us an explanation for the removal of coasters too? Didn't think so....

47 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

I have a drone if I need pics for myself.

He claims he doesnt fly his drone directly over the park, so I'm removing my original comment. 

I'm just curious though, if your so concerned about the cams why not direct that at the park? 

Well, that's contrary to what you have stated before. 

Instead of ya know clogging up this forum?

Uhh. That's the point of this thread...

My thoughts are that maybe for the lift and drop they don't want the cams up? Maybe it's a concern with safety after the YK incident?

See? That is a valid point. You get a cookie!

Could be wrong but don't really care.

If you didnt "really care", you wouldnt still be here arguing...

Do you freak out on Walmart if their cams are off too? 

Walmart has public cameras? You must be one of them Walmart enthusiasts I've heard of, to know if they have public cameras. 

Not Does KI owe us an explanation for the removal of coasters too?

I mean, they have explained why they removed SoB(no brainer),Firehawk(end of service life) and Vortex(end of service life).So, what is your argument?

Edited by sixohdieselrage
First comment removed, due to assumptions.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, sixohdieselrage said:

So, you admit now that you dont follow the parks policy? At least now I can discredit everything you have said. Thanks!

Well, that's contrary to what you have stated before. 

Uhh. That's the point of this thread...

See? That is a valid point. You get a cookie!

If you didnt "really care", you wouldnt still be here arguing...

Walmart has public cameras? You must be one of them Walmart enthusiasts I've heard of. 

I mean, they have explained why they removed SoB(no brainer),Firehawk(end of service life) and Vortex(end of service life).So, what is your argument?

When did I say I wasn't following the parks policy? So flying a plane over the park is all fine and dandy, but Lord forgive if I'm 1000ft off the parks property getting pics for myself and not here? If that's the case why are the parking lot pics when the park is closed allowed?

Edit: also said "if" I wanted pics so clearly you don't get the point and can't read. 

Just now, spooky21 said:

When did I say I wasn't following the parks policy? So flying a plane over the park is all fine and dandy, but Lord forgive if I'm 1000ft off the parks property getting pics for myself and not here? If that's the case why are the parking lot pics when the park is closed allowed?

You said it yourself. And planes have completely different rules than drones. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

FAA states drones can fly up to 400ft, just not over large crowds. Last I checked there isn't crowds in the forest. 

Ah! I didn't say the FAA rules. I said Kings Island rules. So, yes, you dont follow their policy of no drones. Now, if I was a homeowner there, I would be happy to shoot your little drone out of the sky, as that is technically trespassing.  

You are silly. Btw, thought you werent going to keep arguing? 

• Like 2

Just now, sixohdieselrage said:

Ah! I didn't say the FAA rules. I said Kings Island rules. So, yes, you dont follow their policy of no drones. Now, if I was a homeowner there, I would be happy to shoot your little drone out of the sky, as that is technically trespassing.  

You are silly. Btw, thought you werent going to keep arguing? 

Where did I say I would be on their property??? And trespassing in the air ya good luck with that. Does that mean your trespassing in the air too? I really am done with you. Your points are silly and you take this webcam thing too serious.

Just now, spooky21 said:

Where did I say I would be on their property??? And trespassing in the air ya good luck with that. Does that mean your trespassing in the air too? I really am done with you. Your points are silly and you take this webcam thing too serious.

Alright. I'll edit my comment to reflect that and you should change your comment so it isnt assumed.

You clearly dont know the laws. @PilotDudecan explain the laws better than I can, but yeah. Any UAV above any property is considered trespassing.

So, I am taking this webcam thing too seriously, but you commenting on it as well isnt? Hypocritical indeed. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, spooky21 said:

13 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Alright. I'll edit my comment to reflect that and you should change your comment so it isnt assumed.

You clearly dont know the laws. @PilotDudecan explain the laws better than I can, but yeah. Any UAV above any property is considered trespassing.

So, I am taking this webcam thing too seriously, but you commenting on it as well isnt? Hypocritical indeed. 

Okay, Drone laws are super complicated and ever changing. First we have two different class of drones. One is considered a "model aircraft", this is the consumer grade/sized drones. The second requires a part 107 drone license. Both require a line of site from the pilot to the drone at all times. Now the funny part is a drone can be in both categories depending on what it is being used for and who is flying it.  This depends on if you are flying it for compensation, what airspace it is in, among other things.  So you both are right and both are wrong.  Although a plane or drone can't trespass, but they can get you on a slew of other things.  But if a drone was harassing you and was within reach you can defend yourself with say a broom. The most important thing is local police have no jurisdiction over anything that goes in the air.  Only the FAA has this authority. So if you flew a drone over Kings Island or a random persons house, and were standing in either public property or a place you can legally be, no one can legally make you stop. They can report you to the FAA though and I would rather deal with local police.  Kings Island could trespass you off the property and ban you for life, but can't charge you with anything.

As for the drone policy, KI has a policy of outlawing drones. This forum has decided since KI says drones are against their rules, this site has an outlaw on posting pictures of them in the ToS. The ToS is silent on pictures from manned aircraft.  But aircraft is an entire different beast on laws but the jist is a helicopter could legally hover over the park live streaming a video if someone wanted to spend the $$. It would be a ton of $$ though.  And KIC if they wanted too could go through the process of updating the rules to outlaw the posting of media gained from aircraft if they wanted too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeastForever said:

As far I'm concerned, the "what has happened to KIC?" narrative has become the equivalent of older people claiming they "used to be able to leave their doors unlocked".

I agree with the spirit of your post...but took a little offense to this part...us older people are not just claiming that we used to leave their doors unlocked, it’s a fact. When I was a kid getting home from school I didn’t have to worry about being locked out if no one was home, the door was just always unlocked...sure we locked the doors at night, but during the day we never felt the need...same way with our cars, unlocked with the keys thrown under  the front seat!

It all seems like science fiction now, even to me...but it is really true. It’s too bad those days are gone.

I have been a member here since the very beginning. In my humble opinion, things around here do not have the “one big happy family” feel that they once had... but that has been an eternity ago, and even then, that didn’t last more than about 5 or so years. I miss that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PilotDude said:

Okay, Drone laws are super complicated and ever changing. First we have two different class of drones. One is considered a "model aircraft", this is the consumer grade/sized drones. The second requires a part 107 drone license. Both require a line of site from the pilot to the drone at all times. Now the funny part is a drone can be in both categories depending on what it is being used for and who is flying it.  This depends on if you are flying it for compensation, what airspace it is in, among other things.  So you both are right and both are wrong.  Although a plane or drone can't trespass, but they can get you on a slew of other things.  But if a drone was harassing you and was within reach you can defend yourself with say a broom. The most important thing is local police have no jurisdiction over anything that goes in the air.  Only the FAA has this authority. So if you flew a drone over Kings Island or a random persons house, and were standing in either public property or a place you can legally be, no one can legally make you stop. They can report you to the FAA though and I would rather deal with local police.  Kings Island could trespass you off the property and ban you for life, but can't charge you with anything.

As for the drone policy, KI has a policy of outlawing drones. This forum has decided since KI says drones are against their rules, this site has an outlaw on posting pictures of them in the ToS. The ToS is silent on pictures from manned aircraft.  But aircraft is an entire different beast on laws but the jist is a helicopter could legally hover over the park live streaming a video if someone wanted to spend the $$. It would be a ton of $$ though.  And KIC if they wanted too could go through the process of updating the rules to outlaw the posting of media gained from aircraft if they wanted too.

Very well done on that explanation. Like I said it was an "if" anyway. I'm not in the majority that can't wait for webcams to be back. Is there anyway I could pm you with some questions regarding on what I was wrong on? Also have some other questions.

Going to the park tomorrow though, looking forward to seeing the size of this thing. Did anyone ever find a link for the channel 9 chopper footage?

3 hours ago, standbyme said:

I agree with the spirit of your post...but took a little offense to this part...us older people are not just claiming that we used to leave their doors unlocked, it’s a fact. When I was a kid getting home from school I didn’t have to worry about being locked out if no one was home, the door was just always unlocked...sure we locked the doors at night, but during the day we never felt the need...same way with our cars, unlocked with the keys thrown under  the front seat!

Apologies for the last part; did not mean any offense!

It was just the first analogy that came to my mind when assessing this situation. Its something I've heard a lot, but have always been skeptical of. Granted, I'll admit that I can't speak on how things truly were back then, whether on KIC or in society in general. So I'll take your word for it. 

All I'm trying to get at is that the past is often viewed through rose-colored glasses, and I feel that this is just another case of it (comparing 2019 KIC to KIC 2010-2018, that is). 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Now, if I was a homeowner there, I would be happy to shoot your little drone out of the sky, as that is technically trespassing.  

"Shooting down a drone"...aka with a firearm...is a federal offense. Good luck with that!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, spooky21 said:

Going to the park tomorrow though, looking forward to seeing the size of this thing. Did anyone ever find a link for the channel 9 chopper footage?

I have been looking for one but can not find one so if anyone does find one please post it. 

• Like 1