Webcam Outage Discussion

JonahWilliamson

I’ve thought about this a lot....

I think either the SSID or the password to whatever network these cams connect to has changed.  When they changed these is was because of a security issues(or maybe they got new wireless access points, etc). In order to update said password you need to have physical access to the webcam.  They do not have physical access to the webcams because of where they are mounted. 

I came up with this theory because I recently updated my home network.  In order to change the password on most of my IOT devices I had to physically hit a button on them. Luckily none of my stuff was located on the top of a tower or the side of a roller coaster. 

1 hour ago, JonahWilliamson said:

Yea but they didnt drop a 30 ton piece of yukon striker before this construction. 

I've been lurking on this thread since I do also find the timing of this webcam blackout curious, even if there's nothing to it. (Which, for the record: the loss of a webcam is not some grave injustice. Disappointing? Sure. But some perspective might go a long way for some folks.)

This is the first thing that has made a light go off in my head. *If* the park had any control over the timing of the webcam blackout, the Yukon Striker incident would make a lot of sense for why they chose when they did.

I'm still leaning towards the "something big went wrong and they're fixing it" explanation, though. If they wanted to control 100% of what the public sees of the lift hill construction, they would have blacked out the Weatherbug camera, too. You could argue that maybe the Weatherbug camera is too far away to see anything of importance or doesn't refresh often enough to capture anything if there is an accident, and I wouldn't disagree. But I'm arbitrarily choosing to believe that this wasn't 100% under their control, and they're doing their best to fix it.

Side note: didn't Chad say something somewhere about the old webcams reaching the end of their service lives? Am I mixing multiple things together and confusing myself? Is it possible that cameras of the quality the park uses aren't something you can have delivered quickly, so it's taking time to get their replacements?

• Like 3

Here is a statement from Kings Island:

The KI PR team confirms that the park webcams are still not working properly. They are working internally to resolve the issue. They understand that it's important to KICentral members and hope the resolution doesn't take much longer. They thank you for your continued patience.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Hello, Yardboss Campbell here. Just wanted to fill you guys in that I had to disable the webcams while I renovate my shed's living space. I promise I will give Kings Island back the remote to the webcams after this is done. Projected completion time of my renovation is shortly after they top off Orion. I apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 11/4/2019 at 11:12 AM, JonahWilliamson said:

Yea but they didnt drop a 30 ton piece of yukon striker before this construction. 

This is just absolutely crazy to me that an incident at a different park by a different construction company could have this much impact.  Did Kings Island hire a construction company with an unsafe work history?  Has there been any record of this happening on other projects?  Did this incident have significant impact to the success of Yukon Striker and/or Canada's Wonderland?  (Clearly, no.) 

Construction work has an inherent risk associated with it, maybe more so on this project than many others due to the size and scale.  But to turn off the webcams out of fear that something bad might happen, when there is a very low probability that it will is crazy.  If this is the case, they should probably just remove the webcams completely.  Someone might eventually spot an ambulance in the park some day, and who knows what they might think, eh?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

This is just absolutely crazy to me that an incident at a different park by a different construction company could have this much impact.  Did Kings Island hire a construction company with an unsafe work history?  Has there been any record of this happening on other projects?  Did this incident have significant impact to the success of Yukon Striker and/or Canada's Wonderland?  (Clearly, no.) 

Construction work has an inherent risk associated with it, maybe more so on this project than many others due to the size and scale.  But to turn off the webcams out of fear that something bad might happen, when there is a very low probability that it will is crazy.  If this is the case, they should probably just remove the webcams completely.  Someone might eventually spot an ambulance in the park some day, and who knows what they might think, eh?  

In no way am I 100% on this theory. From doing some video work for a construction company i know insurance plays a huge amount. Cedar Fair as a chain might have made this call. And yes the cam was up for Banshee. We also knew how much Banshee costed, we know Cedar Fair has stopped dropping the price tags so things change inside chains. If even a tool was dropped from that height (very unlikely everything is tethered to the worker) that could be a clip that would be tweeted from the enthusiasts. Not 100% but it isnt an impossible theory.

And the whole, different construction team different project different park. Well maybe there insurance is different as well and may not allow it. Makes me wonder is Cedar Fair as a whole under one insurance firm or does each park have their own. Anyone know?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

In no way am I 100% on this theory. From doing some video work for a construction company i know insurance plays a huge amount. Cedar Fair as a chain might have made this call. And yes the cam was up for Banshee. We also knew how much Banshee costed, we know Cedar Fair has stopped dropping the price tags so things change inside chains. If even a tool was dropped from that height (very unlikely everything is tethered to the worker) that could be a clip that would be tweeted from the enthusiasts. Not 100% but it isnt an impossible theory.

And the whole, different construction team different project different park. Well maybe there insurance is different as well and may not allow it. Makes me wonder is Cedar Fair as a whole under one insurance firm or does each park have their own. Anyone know?

Cedar Fair is self-insured....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Cedar Fair is self-insured....

yes they are self insured for internal things in the park. But they still would have to have some sort of firm they go through for external things such as construction, injured guests, anything that has to be filed as an accident. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JonahWilliamson said:

yes they are self insured for internal things in the park. But they still would have to have some sort of firm they go through for external things such as construction, injured guests, anything that has to be filed as an accident. 

Not necessarily....a company can self insure on everything associated with their business...it is simply a matter of having enough in reserve funds and bonds/etc. to cover your activities and file such with the government...

Fun fact...you can self insure your automobile liability insurance with enough funds and bonds..most don't because it is cost prohibitive but it can be done...

Many contractors building things much taller and expensive than Orion are self insured...

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Not necessarily....a company can self insure on everything associated with their business...it is simply a matter of having enough in reserve funds and bods/etc. to cover your activities and file such with the government...

Fun fact...you can self insure your automobile liability insurance with enough funds and bonds..most don't because it is cost prohibitive but it can be done...

KI would not insure outside contractors that are not employees of KI.  Also- KI has not taken "possession" of the ride yet.  "Possession" would take place after the ride has been tested & then approved by Ohio Department of Agriculture.  Up until then, the ride would not fall under KI's umbrella.

Now if KI was under CF's umbrella when SoB was being constructed, that may be a different story & a great question.

43 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

KI would not insure outside contractors that are not employees of KI.  Also- KI has not taken "possession" of the ride yet.  "Possession" would take place after the ride has been tested & then approved by Ohio Department of Agriculture.  Up until then, the ride would not fall under KI's umbrella.

Now if KI was under CF's umbrella when SoB was being constructed, that may be a different story & a great question.

They would if they created an OCIP as many owners do during construction of a project... especially owners that are self insured...

But we are digressing into an insurance education discussion..the point being made is the park has stated multiple times it is an internal software issue and people keep bringing up maybe insurance won't let them show them...the park is self insured so that would solely be their decision, not an insurance companies decision ..

If that were the issue why wouldn't the park simply state that and not have 14 pages of conspiracy theories on an enthusiasts forum? 

We can handle the truth on this one - if they said for liability reasons they are shutting down the webams, most would accept that.

As I stated earlier, the video coverage enthusiasts are obtaining from legal vantage points will be far better quality than the webcam and would be far more valuable if an accident where to occur than from this webcam...

23 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

What if they created an OCIP as many owners do during construction of a project...

But we are digressing into an insurance education discussion..the point being made is the park has stated multiple times it is an internal software issue and people keep bringing up maybe insurance won't let them show them...the park is self insured so that would solely be their decision, not an insurance companies decision ..

If that were the issue why wouldn't the park simply state that and not have 14 pages of conspiracy theories on an enthusiasts forum? 

We can handle the truth on this one - if they said for liability reasons they are shutting down the webams, most would accept that.

As I stated earlier, the video coverage enthusiasts are obtaining from legal vantage points will be far better quality than the webcam and would be far more valuable if an accident where to occur than from this webcam...

Purchasing an OCIP for Orion's construction, KI would not be considered "self insured" for the project.

If the park says the issue is with internal software, we have no reason not to believe them.

Conspiracy theories run rampant with everything due to social media.  From 9/11, to vaccines, to fluoride in the water, the crap some come up with is quite disgusting and often take good people or businesses down.  All it really comes down to is ego.  Some people have this incessant need to be right that they will literally make stuff up.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Purchasing an OCIP for Orion's construction, KI would not be considered "self insured" for the project.

If the park says the issue is with internal software, we have no reason not to believe them.

Conspiracy theories run rampant with everything due to social media.  From 9/11, to vaccines, to fluoride in the water, the crap some come up with is quite disgusting and often take good people or businesses down.  All it really comes down to is ego.  Some people have this incessant need to be right that they will literally make stuff up.

But an OCIP can be self insured as well...

I certainly agree with your other points!

7 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

But an OCIP can be self insured as well...

I certainly agree with your other points!

Knowing that CF is a publicly traded company, the funds necessary to create a self insured OCIP for every capital project would show up on quarterly reports.