Webcam Outage Discussion

JonahWilliamson

1 hour ago, I'mInTheShed said:

The point of Kings Island/ Cedar Fair being self insured is irrelevant. The real factor here is Liability, I am sure Kings Island's legal counsel is the one that pushed for the webcams to be off until the ride has been topped off. 

Yeah, because no other part of the construction carries liability issues:P

On the flip side, in today's litigious society, wouldn't they want as much coverage as possible to try to push liability on to someone else...unless it is truly a software issue beyond their control...

7 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

Yep. Its happened......and sadly without the webcams........

Are any of us really surprised? I suspect the cams will be back up tomorrow...It's literally a middle finger to the entire enthusiast community. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

13 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

With all the conspiracy theorist negativity over a simple webcam its mind blowing how anybody became an enthusiast before the advent of webcams.

Age. Times have definitely changed. If we didn’t see it on our local news or commercials we didn’t see it. 

It’s amazing how people have changed with technology. No one has any trust of another’s word anymore. It’s both understandable and sad all at the same time. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

With all the conspiracy theorist negativity over a simple webcam its mind blowing how anybody became an enthusiast before the advent of webcams.

That's just how people are sometimes. I would choose to not even give people your time and effort by explaining how ridiculous the theories are. It will prevent a lot of useless content.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Browntggrr said:

(In an old man’s voice) Well I remember showing up at the park for my first visit of the year Back in the day only to find that Kenton’s Cove Keelboat Canal had been removed... I had no idea it was happening. :P

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, standbyme said:

(In an old man’s voice) Well I remember showing up at the park for my first visit of the year Back in the day only to find that Kenton’s Cove Keelboat Canal had been removed... I had no idea it was happening. :P

I remember being irked that they replaced the original Enchanted Voyage with the Smurfs.  Seriously aggravated.  To this day, I still have a deep seated wish that they would bring it back.  I was also irked when they replaced the Phantom Theater.  I miss being asked, "What are you looking at?"  Must be something about that particular location.  If I like the ride that is there, they take it out.

While I understand why people want to see the topping off, I just can't too excited about not seeing it via webcam.  They still have a long way to go.  I'm sure that they will have several pictures on the Blog.  I still can't ride it yet but, come April or May, I'll be geared up.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Post from John Matarese Instagram:

So do people really think the park shut down the webcam:

• from a liability standpoint; or
  • to give Channel 9 an exclusive with their 90's resolution quality chopper 9?; or
  • it really is a software upgrade issue with unforeseen issues.

Personally I think a helicopter flying around during the installation would be more of a liability than the webcam...

15 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Liability theories were posted long before you mentioned it, and they will continue after...

Plus... I was there for Diamondback’s topping off. They let me take photos and film. Wasn’t an issue then and probably wouldn’t be an issue with this.

Plus...

They literally let Clink Novak in the crane bucket for the topping off of I305...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Browntggrr said:

Even as I get older, it still continues to blow my mind the kinds of things people get upset over (webcams, reboots, etc.) and the kinds of things they don't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

It has now been three weeks for what is apparently “software upgrades”.  The Kings Island IT staff looks incredibly inept right now.

Didn't they first say it was because of lights being installed, then IT upgrade?  What its really about is that Cedar Fair probably saw KI web site was getting more hits than CP's because of Orion construction, then decided to pull the plug. This sounds like another "Reached end of service life". excuse to me! ;):lol:

• Like 1

On 11/6/2019 at 12:31 PM, standbyme said:

Same, but with that playplace in the mini Nickelodeon area (pre-Nick Central) that was (seemingly) suddenly removed for no reason. I do (barely) remember seeing construction walls around where KCKC was back in the day.

• Like 1

Ya cause webcams are the priority with haunt tear down into winter fest setup. Not to mention them building their biggest investment in history and also removing one of their most historic coasters, ya I'm sure the webcams are a bigger priority.

On the same note, whatever software runs the cameras for webcams, likely does the same for security cameras. Think about that for a second...no security cameras at all... That would cost way more than fixing or replacing the camera server.