Jump to content

Webcam Outage Discussion


JonahWilliamson
 Share

Recommended Posts

Read into the context of some of my other posts. That may help you understand a few things. 

  1. I'm not upset at our new attraction. I think it's going to be amazing. 
  2. I have every right to be upset about the cameras being down. We have several other members on here that cannot see it in person, and maybe want to watch construction over 200 miles away. 
  3. Like others here, I dont believe the story they are giving out. As with others, I'm calling them out over it. 
  4. If I was really that ****ed off, I wouldnt even go to the park. 
  5. I love Kings Island, like most people here. I just think they mishandled this webcam debacle. 

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Read into the context of some of my other posts. That may help you understand a few things. 

  1. I'm not upset at our new attraction. I think it's going to be amazing. 
  2. I have every right to be upset about the cameras being down. We have several other members on here that cannot see it in person, and maybe want to watch construction over 200 miles away. 
  3. Like others here, I dont believe the story they are giving out. As with others, I'm calling them out over it. 
  4. If I was really that ****ed off, I would even go to the park. 
  5. I love Kings Island, like most people here. I just think they mishandled this webcam debacle. 

 

Construction webcams aren't a right for enthusiasts, nor is it something that they HAVE to do or that some parks do at all. It's a nice thing the park doesn't have to do, yet they do it. Nobody is entitled to anything. I get the frustration, but to act like this is some outrageous thing and that you deserve some sort of explanation is just insane.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Delirium13 said:

Construction webcams aren't a right for enthusiasts, nor is it something that they HAVE to do or that some parks do at all. It's a nice thing the park doesn't have to do, yet they do it. Nobody is entitled to anything. I get the frustration, but to act like this is some outrageous thing and that you deserve some sort of explanation is just insane.

They messed up. It’s okay to admit that KI shouldn’t have done this now and that their PR has been bad when handling it. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Delirium13 said:

Construction webcams aren't a right for enthusiasts, nor is it something that they HAVE to do or that some parks do at all. It's a nice thing the park doesn't have to do, yet they do it. Nobody is entitled to anything. I get the frustration, but to act like this is some outrageous thing and that you deserve some sort of explanation is just insane.

Agree. I was curious, but the second it went down it was "oh, well" in my book.   I'm way more worried or interested in what happens after Vortex and even that won't effect me all that much. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not trusting them over an explanation for something important like a ride accident or malfunction... sure. But acting like there's some huge breach of trust because the webcams are down... come on. This isn't some government conspiracy people. The entitlement...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrSourNinja said:

They messed up. It’s okay to admit that KI shouldn’t have done this now and that their PR has been bad when handling it. 

And do we still have an OFFICIAL statement from the park regarding the webcams being down and the reason?  All I see are third parties saying, "according to park sources..."  They completely botched the execution of whatever it is they're doing.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

And do we still have an OFFICIAL statement from the park regarding the webcams being down and the reason?  All I see are third parties saying, "according to park sources..."  They completely botched the execution of whatever it is they're doing.  

WHY do they need to issue an official statement about some webcams that only a small minority of people even check?!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

WHY do they need to issue an official statement about some webcams that only a small minority of people even check?!

Because the fact that people are responding to them on twitter and other social media about it means there is enough. That would be like McDonald’s going silent about 5% of their customer base who buys x when suddenly x isn’t available. Just weird and bad PR

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

4 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Haha. I spit out my coffee. Get out of your safety bubble. There are way more people than you think. 

 

Thank you Brad! :)

It's a very small minority.

1 minute ago, MrSourNinja said:

Because the fact that people are responding to them on twitter and other social media about it means there is enough. That would be like McDonald’s going silent about 5% of their customer base who buys x when suddenly x isn’t available. Just weird and bad PR

This isn't a product you purchased from the park. It's a free feature on their website.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Delirium13 said:

 

It's a very small minority.

This isn't a product you purchased from the park. It's a free feature on their website.

It doesn’t matter if it’s free. It’s still something their customers expect and they should issue a statement when it’s no longer available. Businesses do this all the time. Silent looks good on nothing. I don’t think it’s as egregious as other people here, but I do think they should say something. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

Construction webcams aren't a right for enthusiasts, nor is it something that they HAVE to do or that some parks do at all. It's a nice thing the park doesn't have to do, yet they do it. Nobody is entitled to anything. I get the frustration, but to act like this is some outrageous thing and that you deserve some sort of explanation is just insane.

Kings Island is a business, and their primary business model is selling season passes. Season pass holders make up a very large percentage of the park's attendance--far more than most people believe. The webcams are easily accessible online and help spread publicity as people can watch this gigantic coaster being built live. Making more people aware equals more season pass sales, which equals more money for the park. The webcams act as a means of selling more season passes; the park has to operate them. That people believe that complaining about this stuff is "entitlement" is outrageous. Why has this become a mentality? If businesses do stuff "wrong," why do we have the right to complain, but when Kings Island messes up, its' "entitlement" and "insane?"

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

It doesn’t matter if it’s free. It’s still something their customers expect and they should issue a statement when it’s no longer available. Businesses do this all the time. Silent looks good on nothing. I don’t think it’s as egregious as other people here, but I do think they should say something. 

Frustration is fine, but people are treating this like it's a huge deal. It's not.

1 minute ago, sixohdieselrage said:

In the words of Amusement Insiders Brendon Cross "Alllllllrighty".

Cool.

Just now, KIghostguy said:

Kings Island is a business, and their primary business model is selling season passes. Season pass holders make up a very large percentage of the park's attendance--far more than most people believe. The webcams are easily accessible online and help spread publicity as people can watch this gigantic coaster being built live. Making more people aware equals more season pass sales, which equals more money for the park. The webcams act as a means of selling more season passes; the park has to operate them. That people believe that complaining about this stuff is "entitlement" is outrageous. Why has this become a mentality? If businesses do stuff "wrong," why do we have the right to complain, but when Kings Island messes up, its' "entitlement" and "insane?"

Nobody has talked about season pass sales. But the giant ride their building will take care of that. Nobody (reasonable) is buying their season pass based on a webcam.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

I'm so tired of people here kissing the park's ass.  They're clearly in the wrong here.

Get over yourself. I've criticized the park plenty of times when deserved. This isn't a big deal. But I'm done. I'm not changing any minds. My mind is not changed. This has been a nice reminder of why I and many other members have stopped frequenting this site.

Edited by Delirium13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Delirium13 said:

Get over yourself. I've criticized the park plenty of times. This isn't a big deal. But I'm done. I'm not changing any minds. My mind is not changed. This has been a nice reminder of why I stopped frequenting this site. Enjoy your Microsoft paint roller coaster drawings!

I wasn't referring to you in particular.  I was referring to a lot of different users in general.  But if the boot fits..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am not familiar with their network setup or what all they are updating, but I am quite surprised that they did not at least keep the Orion webcam or place a temporary webcam up by putting it on network hotspot like a Verizon Mifi. Then any network updates/outages they are working on would not have been affected. My guess is that they were not expecting this outage to take so long to get back up.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

Frustration is fine

So, why is it still an issue for you?

6 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

Cool.

Cool as a cucumber. 

 

6 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

But the giant ride their building will take care of that. 

Unless you cant see it. It also build hype. Do you know what hype is?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Delirium13 said:

Nobody has talked about season pass sales. But the giant ride their building will take care of that. Nobody (reasonable) is buying their season pass based on a webcam.

It's one thing to hear about Orion, but it's another thing entirely to "watch" it be built via webcam. With it being free, online, and easily accessible, it helps to spread awareness of the ride outside of the local circuit. Nobody is making the decision to buy a pass just because of the webcam, but it definitely doesn't hurt to spread publicity and awareness.

The park absolutely owes us an explanation over what is going on. This whole situation looks terrible in the eyes of season pass holders, which is the park's biggest demographic. The fact that the PR division at the park itself has not even made a statement directly is very telling in regards to what they think of pass holders and enthusiasts at large. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When working on websites, you don't need to take down features in order to work on/improve on them.  In my business, we develop applications and test everything in UAT environments.  Because of this, we don't have to bring down anything completely.  Upgrades are made during non-business/non-peak hours to limit user impact.  And we're a rather small enterprise.  You're telling me that Kings Island needs to bring down some simple webcam streams for what, going on 6 days now, in order to so some "software upgrades"?

Please.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, sixohdieselrage said:

Do you know what hype is?

Are you even serious? So no ride in the past without a webcam has had hype? No rides at Universal or Disney have construction webcams. I don't think Hershey Park has a cam for their new coaster. It's called advertising. They're doing it and still posting pics on social media. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...