Too big for Drop Tower

Tim S

I took my 14 year-old daughter to Kings Island a few weeks ago. My last trip before that was probably 2009-2010, and I have gained some weight since then. At about 6'1" and 308 lbs., most of the coasters we rode (Diamondback, Beast, Racer, Mystic Timbers, Adventure Express, Vortex, Flight of Fear), I had to be smashed into to fit, but I fit. They were fun, but not too terribly comfortable. Then we tried Drop Tower. Much to my embarrassment, I was several inches away from being able to strap in, so I had to take the walk of shame, while my daughter rode it by herself.

I know I need to lose weight for my health anyway, but this gives me something fun as a reward. I'm determined to go back next year and be able to ride anything, and comfortably. I've lost 6 lbs. so far, but I'm not sure what to set my goal at. I carry my weight somewhat evenly, maybe more weighted towards upper body (shoulders/chest area). Can anyone with experience guide me a bit as to what a good goal weight would be for the Drop Tower specifically? I assume if I can fit that ride, then the coasters would be comfortable to ride too.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm 6'3" and 245.  I have successfully done DT 4 times, WOS 2 times.  The times I have been successful, my shoulders have killed me after (I have bilateral frozen shoulders).  Seat 22 is the only one that will work for me...The Drop Towers at Kentucky Kingdom and Dollywood are much more accommodating and comfortable.  In my opinion, KK's is absolutely, terrifyingly fun.

• Like 1

I tried DT at 255 and I am 6 ft and the bar would not come all the way down to lock so I took the WOS as well. They really need to adjust the locking piece to allow for more to ride but at least I was able to ride everything else just fine. That was two years ago when I tried to ride DT but was at the park this year and rode everything else. I am now down to 208 so I should fit now but that one WOS helped to motivate me to work hard on my weight loss. I love Kings Island and amusement parks more than most anything else and to be limited wasn’t something I wanted to accept for too long. I also tried Wicked Twister and was walking the walk there as well!!  Keep working hard to make a difference!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I went back to KI last Sunday down about 60 lbs. from two years ago and I can't tell you how nice it was fitting easily onto all the coasters. Unfortunately, Drop Tower was down the entire day so I didn't get to test that one out. I wasn't too disappointed. I got to ride Orion twice and that was amazing :)

I'm 6'3 260 and have trouble with it as well. Have been able to get it to go but it's a squeeze. I think the bigger thing for it is more the height, it is very tight around the shoulders and such. Think most people over 6' have some trouble with it based more on height than on weight. The  upper body I think gives more issues.

• Like 1

Good to hear that, Tim S. I'm not that big but I'm definitely bigger than I was years ago and the restraints on some rides have a way of making that obvious.

The Drop Tower restraints seem like they were designed for people who are either short or thin. I'm 5'11 around 220 and on my last ride the attendant had to shove the restraint a little to get that very-short belt to lock. It's my shoulders/chest area that seems to be holding it up. Maybe I'm just too manly for it :P

I have a similar issue with Arrow OTS restraints like on The Bat. While they come down plenty enough to ride, it seems like the same area keeps them from coming down a way that seems appropriate. There's always a huge gap between my belly and the restraint as a result.

• Like 1