Flight of Fear the good bad and the ugly

Kingsislandfanboy2017

4 hours ago, Shaggy said:

Here's some FOF trivia for you... 

KI's and KD's versions were built simultaneously.  However they were constructed in 2 different ways.

KI first built the building and then constructed the coaster inside - partially utilizing the crane built into the ceiling.

KD first assembled the coaster, then built the building around it.

KI won - they completed construction first.

If I recall, Jeff Gramke said at one of the enthusiast events that the intention wasn't to build the building before the ride at KI, but rather delays in the construction of the ride made them improvise.  That's why there are cranes within the building itself.  Can you elaborate on this?

Also, FOF is one of my top 5's in the park.  I love it!!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I don't think it's rough now, but when it had the over-the-shoulder restraints, it was the most painful ride in the park. The lap bar is tight, but man when it had the OTSRs, it felt like sticking your head in a pinball machine. 

Ride itself is fun. I've been on a few launch coasters, but this one's launch is one of the most effective; I think it's because the ride is indoors and you're staring into straight darkness. The launch is load, sudden and you don't have context of what you're going to. It's great. Aside from the slowdown mid-course, it's one of the great wild rides at KI. Sometimes, if the ride is just right, we hit the end brakes and I actually feel like we've stopped on an angle because I'm so discombobulated. 

If I had one thing i'd recommend changing, it might be to update the theme. The video has always been purposefully cheesy but now it just looks old (although I love the look of the hangar, the UFO and the launch station). Maybe update the story and some of the multimedia -- if they're turning the entire X-base into Area 72 with Orion, maybe create an overarching story. 

Also, I'd love some subtle updates in the spaghetti bowl. Nothing elaborate, but something that shakes the reminder that you're just looping around in a giant tin can. Maybe a way to make a starfield so you feel like you're hurtling through the cosmos. Play with the lighting and some effects work. Maybe just some fog (although not sure if the moisture would hurt the ride). But I feel like we're launched from some pretty good theming into what feels like a roller coaster set up in someone's garage. 

I do agree something more exciting in the main ride, but interesting story point. If you ever saw the original long form queue video (not sure if it’s still part of it) the ship “came to life” and the  video was a “acid brain trip” with swirling colors and patters” that the aliens were “broadcasting” as a brain experiment. That’s what the interior is referencing with the colored lights. We’ve never been “launching into space” rather being taken on a brain trip experiment by the aliens now that we are in their control. 

Flight of Fear is my number 5 at Kings Island but depending on if Diamondback gets the Intimidator effect, Orion could make it Flight of Fear drop out. Diamondback is my number one and barely beats out Mystic. But if Orion winds up being a Diamondback 2.0 in any way then I could see Diamondback falling from 1 to 6.

Editing this to say I love Flight of Fear. I realized being number 5 at other parks like say Carowinds would be taken as bad not a good thing. At that park the quality drops off a cliff after the first 4.

I enjoy the ride itself, but I don't ride it often due to the slow loading times. I think a big part of that is how they now rope you off in the flying saucer. 

As far as the queue video goes, I think they should just lean into it and go full b-movie. Make it black and white.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

Last time I rode it during Haunt I was in the front row and it was surprisingly smooth.  I still really enjoy the ride and have to agree with @Fitzcoasts14 that the launch and last corkscrew are my favorite parts of the ride.

The reason why I like the corkscrew so much is that when you go through it you go through it so fast and it whips you pretty hard, but not in the bad way. You also rise out of your seat during it.

30 minutes ago, Joshua said:

I enjoy the ride itself, but I don't ride it often due to the slow loading times. I think a big part of that is how they now rope you off in the flying saucer. 

As far as the queue video goes, I think they should just lean into it and go full b-movie. Make it black and white.  

Load times are slow due to the seats being so small and the seatbelt being in a weird place.

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 5:19 PM, silver2005 said:

It vibrates a lot, but I wouldn't call it rough. And there's not much you can do about the MCBR.  The way it works, it has to stay there until the train in the unload station is clear, so if you have a slow unload like it tends to do, its likely to stop there, which is awkward in the first 2 cars.  

Other than that, I enjoy it a bunch still. 

That's actually false. There is one block before Unload that can be used if a train is still at unload. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

Probably the best investment Paramount made to the park IMO. There are lots of very interesting stories from the development/construction of the coaster. It’s still a very enjoyable and very well-themed ride.

I definitely agree. This was really one of the few rides where every aspect came together well. It was a one of a kind ride (with the new launch technology), the theming was & still is in the park. The only real issue with it was it’s poor restraints upon its debut. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I do agree something more exciting in the main ride, but interesting story point. If you ever saw the original long form queue video (not sure if it’s still part of it) the ship “came to life” and the  video was a “acid brain trip” with swirling colors and patters” that the aliens were “broadcasting” as a brain experiment. That’s what the interior is referencing with the colored lights. We’ve never been “launching into space” rather being taken on a brain trip experiment by the aliens now that we are in their control. 

Here is the OG video before Outer Limits was stripped from it:

• Like 4

I need to add something.  I had been luggin my wife around to Kings Island and Cedar Point this season. My wife tried a few and liked a few and hated a few. She absolutely hated Magnum XL and Raptor. Those finished her off at Cedar Point.  She only really liked Gemini there.  She liked Beast but wouldn't even try any other rides.  Two rides have brought into now holding her hands up and keeping her eyes open on Diamondback. Those rides are Stunt Coaster and even more so Flight of Fear. Since Flight of Fear she has ridden them all. On the coaster pics, her eyes were closed and she looked terrified, but did it because I love roller coasters.  Flight of Fear was gateway drug, if you will, to opening her eyes and all that. She loves Banshee now!  So I owe Flight of Fear and for what it did, it makes it one of my all-time favorite roller coasters.  Plus I've ridden it tons and probably laugh during 80% of that on-ride time.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Thanks. I had forgotten how much more was in that. I loved that in the original the ship (and even the room) interacted much more with the video. Anyone remember the “groping blackouts” and the cut to live cams showing the actual people in line? Good fun! 

It still shows the live camera on some of the TVs under the saucer for part of the show.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Thanks. I had forgotten how much more was in that. I loved that in the original the ship (and even the room) interacted much more with the video. Anyone remember the “groping blackouts” and the cut to live cams showing the actual people in line? Good fun! 

The live feed was removed because the system was changed.  It is actually run out of FunTV now.  I'm sure they COULD have added the live feed back, but they didn't.  @Delta mentioned that some of the older TVs under the saucer still showed the live feed, which I didn't know.  That's cool!

How many of you are old enough to remember the "vertical" and "horizontal" projections from the saucer?  When they played the Outer Limits theme when they said, "we control the vertical and horizontal" the saucer would project horizontal and vertical lines onto the wall, they shot out from just above the entrance to the saucer.  The hole where the projector was is still there. 

A few people in tech services took it upon themselves to refurbish FOF a few years ago using the current LED lights.  They went to pretty strong lengths to make it accurate including coming to yours truly looking for any photos or videos I might have.  What they have now is as close to the original (sans Outer Limits stuff) as it has been since the early 2000s.  

Did you know?

The original concept for Outer Limits Flight of Fear was similar to what we have now, but with one major difference...

Instead of having people queue within the hangar, the main queue area would be outside in the Press Area.  A certain number of guests at a time would be "invited to see what's inside the hangar"  once inside they would watch the video (not sure if it would be the same video or not.  I imagine that banter of the army people would have been cut out and just have the mystical stuff) and when the video said, "Join us, come aboard our vessel" the hatch would open up exposing the staircase.  Everyone in the hangar would enter the saucer and it would close.  Then they would proceed to the ride area.  The next group would be invited to enter only to find an empty hangar, missing the participants they had previously seen enter.

Logistical concerns nixed the opening hatch which ultimately resulted in that ride that we have today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CoasterOhio said:

That original concept would have been fun, and interesting experience which would be very unique today if Cedar Fair would have kept it given the merger. 

Let's be honest: the hatch would have been kept open due to either mechanical failure or staffing and would have ruined the preshow long before Cedar Fair took over.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:22 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Logistical concerns nixed the opening hatch which ultimately resulted in that ride that we have today.

And if I recall correctly: when this was nixed the idea was that the video and outside audio recordings were "timed." I.E. if the ride was running at full capacity, proper operation—you'd hear the outside radio announcements one time through and only be in the building for one showing of the video. As we all know, however, FoF never moved that fast. 

Truly amazing when it opened, though. I remember walking with my parents through the queue that first year. I was too afraid to ride, but loved the theming. The audible "ohhhh" when an empty train showed up in the station.... so cool. 

Also loved seeing Flight of Fear employees get sent to other rides. Nothing quite like an associate clad in the uniform for the Bureau of Paranormal Activity operating the Scrambler. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
12 hours ago, Aha! Did you know that? said:

Does anyone actually know why it stops so hard in the middle of the ride? I don't remember it ever doing that before. I took my kid on it during Haunt, really excited to show him the ride, and this ruined his experience.

I'm going to assume it has something to do with putting less load on a part of the track after it. It could also be an attempt to make the final brake run crack less skulls.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I'm going to assume it has something to do with putting less load on a part of the track after it. It could also be an attempt to make the final brake run crack less skulls.

I wish the safety brakes would be retrofitted (or supplemented) with some magnetic brakes. Would make that stop way less painful, and would probably cut down the friction brake wear. 

• Like 1

I thought I always remember FoF slowing down a ton on the MCBR, but I have only been riding it since 2007.  I kind of like it slowing down a lot, because it's like sideways hangtime (if that's a thing), but the restraints aren't the most pleasant thing to lean against which takes away a bit from just hanging there.

I will say after riding Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas this past month I wish FoF didn't have a MCBR because Poltergeist is the exact same layout, but doesn't have the MCBR and it haaaaauls through the second half of the layout. I know they need to have it there to run 3 trains effectively without stacking, but one can wish.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

I thought I always remember FoF slowing down a ton on the MCBR, but I have only been riding it since 2007.  I kind of like it slowing down a lot, because it's like sideways hangtime (if that's a thing), but the restraints aren't the most pleasant thing to lean against which takes away a bit from just hanging there.

I will say after riding Poltergeist at Six Flags Fiesta Texas this past month I wish FoF didn't have a MCBR because Poltergeist is the exact same layout, but doesn't have the MCBR and it haaaaauls through the second half of the layout. I know they need to have it there to run 3 trains effectively without stacking, but one can wish.

The problem for me is that they have the mid course break run there to run three trains, but they never run three, always two. They cycle one of the three trains off each season, so one train just always stays in a maintenance shed.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The problem for me is that they have the mid course break run there to run three trains, but they never run three, always two. They cycle one of the three trains off each season, so one train just always stays in a maintenance shed.

I rode it during Winterfest 18 and the MCBR was either not coming on or was coming on light when I rode it. It was hauling through the 2nd half like I remember in the 90's.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, KIghostguy said:

Probably the best investment Paramount made to the park IMO. There are lots of very interesting stories from the development/construction of the coaster. It’s still a very enjoyable and very well-themed ride.

It’s really the only good thing Paramount did in the park during their quest to destroy the original park.   All of their other major installations are eye sores and did not match the theming of where they were plopped down. 

Although Flight of Fear didn’t match the theme of Coney Island they at least build it off to the side and now we are getting a new themed sub area. 

• Like 1