KICentral Throwback Thread

Hawaiian Coasters 325

19 hours ago, PilotDude said:

Wow, that looks awesome. When is something like this going to happen again? Can't wait to get to be part of it this time.

With the advent of Coasterstock you probably won't see KIC have another event involving ERT backstage tours and whatnot.  It's just a tough sell to the park when they put so much time and effort into that event.

What I would encourage them to do is reserve the IR and have a meal together.  The SP group did it two years ago at Winterfest and it seemed like it was a pretty good success.  They'd have to worry about getting the money together and paying in one lump sum (with a minimum, I'm sure) but it would be a great way to have Facetime with everyone. 

• Like 1

Apparently this is the account linked to my email? I'm guessing my main account was linked to my old college email address.

Hi, it's Brad. You rang?

Yep, been in California coming up on a decade now. Traded in KI for Disneyland (though I do still make it out to KI when I can). How's the old Beast holding up?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, KIC Mole said:

Apparently this is the account linked to my email? I'm guessing my main account was linked to my old college email address.

Hi, it's Brad. You rang?

Yep, been in California coming up on a decade now. Traded in KI for Disneyland (though I do still make it out to KI when I can). How's the old Beast holding up?

It's still running good. Although, I found it to be running a little rough this year, but not as bad as let's say Son of Beast was. 

3 minutes ago, KIC Mole said:

Hi, it's Brad. You rang?

It's getting the RMC treatment, it's also going to be a Giga (but not really). Welcome back UncleHenry. When is KIC Survivor season 3?

Just now, Captain Nemo said:

It's getting the RMC treatment, it's also going to be a Giga (but not really). Welcome back UncleHenry. When is KIC Survivor season 3?

Season 3 will involve a Calicoaster tribe and a Koasterisland tribe. Challenges will be in person and will take place at parks both in California and Ohio. Get yer frequent flyer miles ready peeps!

I love seeing all of this old stuff in one thread. :)

Here are a couple of my own photo trip reports from back in the day. (I can’t believe that the photos are still being hosted somewhere after all these years.)

On another recent thread, @BeastForever was wondering why some people would throw around things like “this site ain’t what it used to be”...I think some of the above things, and these trip reports are an example of why some of us miss the “good old days”. :rolleyes:

I would count KIC Day as one of the best days of my (arguably pathetic) life...I made some friendships that day that have lasted all these years.

KIC Day Photo Trip Report (2008)

Then, with the relationship still going strong between the park, and this site we were given an off season event!

standbyme’s Blues Party PTR (2009)

And here is @Gordon Bombay’s excellent trip report for the same event...I wish the photos were still visible...hint hint!)

Battling the Off Season Blues - The Day in Photos

Good times! I miss a lot of our past members. :(

For the record, I am not saying that we all got along back then...just like every “family”, people argued...but it did seem like we were at least more of a cohesive unit than we are now. 

And also for the record, I appreciate quite a bit of you “newer posters” that have tried to keep this spirit alive over the past few years. (I gave up for a few years and just lurked because I didn’t think it was worth trying to keep a presence going on here.) I am glad that your passion for the park has kept this site going... I really need my daily Kings Island fix!

It would be nice if everyone could meet face to face again like this again..I think it’s a lot harder to be mean/disrespectful to someone once you can put a face to the name and know what they are actually like.

One last “shout out”... I think Brad @IndyGuy4KI & @malem are doing an excellent job at moderating! It’s got to be a nightmare of a job trying to please both us and the park...I know most of us appreciate it. (At least the ones of us who aren’t jerks do...just kidding, just kidding. :rolleyes:)

• Like 7

I'd kinda like to know the story on how Coasterstock came to be. Its only 5 years old meanwhile Coastermania goes all the way back to what Gemini Mania then Magnum Mania? Would be nice to know why Coasterstock is only 5 years old? How long the first one took to pla?, Why they did it in the first place? Was there events like it that it may have replaced?  etc.

10 hours ago, standbyme said:

KIC Day Photo Trip Report (2008)

Then, with the relationship still going strong between the park, and this site we were given an off season event!

standbyme’s Blues Party PTR (2009)

And here is @Gordon Bombay’s excellent trip report for the same event...I wish the photos were still visible...hint hint!)

Battling the Off Season Blues - The Day in Photos

Good times! I miss a lot of our past members. :(

If anyone wants to donate their pics for a KIC Event Gallery,  I would love to put a past event page together on the main site. @Gordon Bombay, @Captain Nemo, @BoddaH1994, @TOPGUN1993

• Like 2

On 11/9/2019 at 6:17 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

If anyone wants to donate their pics for a KIC Event Gallery,  I would love to put a past event page together on the main site. @Gordon Bombay, @Captain Nemo, @BoddaH1994, @TOPGUN1993

Has the link to the old gallery been included in the current version of Kic yet? 

Assuming photos already are these......

• Thanks 1

I really had to dig to find these these. 2006-2009 were definitely peak for me! Working at the park, Diamondback construction, disco Crypt, the backstage/ERT day..

I know I have an butt load of pictures with Capt Nemo from the 2009 Diamondback year. I honestly think I rode it around 1000 times that year haha.

10399537_130782125276_510_n.jpg

darn I miss my Penguins of Madagascar hat. The only hat that fit me, haha.

215934_1057286558450_1347834_n.jpg

"If you reach your hand out to touch the hand rails on the lift, you're going to get a gosh darn splinter. I told you 100x."

-Zach B

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

That is a really cool trailer! I love how the rainforest/adventure elements of the park were highlighted there (Congo Falls, Wild Thornberries, Adventure Express, etc).

Also, I still have my lanyard from the 2013 KIC event (I think that was the first time I met some of ya'll in person!) as well as the #decoding2017 paper that had our predictions before the Mystic Timbers announcement. I also have a nametag from some event, but I'm not sure where that is from (maybe Mystic's announcement too?)