Kings Dominion Rumored to get 2021 Wing coaster

This is pretty cool! I actually saw a Youtube POV of that "Hot Go" Wing Coaster model (called "Heaven's Wing") and I thought it looked like a very cool design (sort of like a regular B&M sitdown, but as a Wing Coaster). I'd be ecstatic if that actually happened; it would be another excuse to get back there (in addition to Dominator, The Crypt and everything else I didn't get to do in/has been added since 2001).

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Seems rather small but surprising they maybe getting something so soon.

https://kdfans.com/2019/wing-coaster-leak/ 

So from what I’ve gathered, from initial talks to opening a ride with B&M is about a 5 year turnaround. If they haven’t even hammered out a layout then they must be pretty early. Let’s say 2023 or so. Not sure if I’d say that the replacement is “so soon” although I suppose that comment would be relative. Glad to see they’ll be getting attention over there at KD, though.

4 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I like Wing coasters. We all know KD is due for a coaster. This looks ok. It is a little short in terms of height and length, but height especially. On the other hand it does pack a punch with five inversions in that time. Looking forward to see how this progresses.

I agree. Sometimes smaller is better. I’m in the minority here, but I prefer Twisted Timbers to Steel Vengeance. KD has a smaller version of everything but what they have seems to count pound for pound.

3 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Been on all the Norrh American wing coasters. Liked 2 of them. Thunderbird Wild Eagle.   This one doesn't look to make my nice list. 

Me too (except X Flight). Wild Eagle is okay but nothing to write home about but Thunderbird is really the only song coaster that blew me away. If KI were to get one I really hope it’d be launched.

3 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Kings Dominion just announced Volcano’s closure this year, and they might be replacing it in 2021! This gives me hope that Kings Island will also soon have plans to replace Vortex!

Ugh... You’ve got to remember that they could theoretically put in a new coaster as early as ‘21. If a coaster does replace it, it won’t be until KI’s cycle of a higher capex comes around, which historically is every 5 years. Kind of a bummer, but we will likely have an empty plot of land there for quite some time. 

• Like 3

I think this would be a great addition to KD. Wing coasters are crowd pleasers with the GP and that is all that matters. Some of the comments I have seen on twitter are just disgusting it really gives all enthusiasts a bad name. It is very unfortunate and I feel like we keep saying how it’s KI enthusiasts but now you see some KD and I have even seen some Busch gardens enthusiasts complaining about the 2021 project. If i was potentially getting 2 coasters back to back I don’t care what it is there is no way I would be complaining what it could be when they have no idea what it is yet. Just like KD this is the first draft so KD could end up with something totally different. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Maverick44 said:

I think wing and drive track is wider then others. Its just my opinion that doesn't look like wing track I could be wrong. Also why are they making track so early for a 2021 project not even confirmed yet?  

Respectfully, they were making Orion track and or supports in 2018 for a project that was not confirmed at that point too.

3 hours ago, Maverick44 said:

I think wing and drive track is wider then others. Its just my opinion that doesn't look like wing track I could be wrong. Also why are they making track so early for a 2021 project not even confirmed yet?  

I would think it would take alot of time to make track from sheets of steel.  These are very fine tuned measurements and eye balls cuts don't get the job done.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have you ridden an S&S 4d Free Spin coaster?

I've ridden 3 of them - and they are terrible. (I only rode the last two for the "count.")

If... and that's a big if... Kings Dominion is getting one... then shame shame shame.  Not of CF quality.

Shaggy

• Like 6

A quote from the article I can't agree with more! If KD wants to stay in the game and not be left in the trails of BG which most people already find the more supreme park in the area they need to strategize a game plan for the next decade.

"many folks feel that Kings Dominion needs to replace Volcano with a major coaster if they hope to compete with the incredible investments Busch Gardens Williamsburg is currently pursuing."

• Like 3

I love the 4D free spins! Not rough IMO, although I have plenty of padding. There's a couple real forceful rotations at the very top but it's nothing unbearable. If S&S could create a full scale custom layout with this track style I think it would go over really well, as long as the speed and rotations are controlled appropriately.