Kings Dominion Rumored to get 2021 Wing coaster

Kings Dominion already had an S&S air launch.  Hypersonic XLC.  It lasted from 2001 to a couple years after that.  I would not look for a new S&S air launch to come back to Kings Dominion.

I agree with Shaggy (although I have not ridden an S&S free spin), I feel like that is not the type of coaster that Kings Dominion needs.

17 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

They lack in the floater air department.

After my visit last summer, I've decided that KD is the positive G capital of the world. I like strong forces just as much as the next guy, but I think their lineup is really missing something that doesn't make you feel like you got hit with a Mac truck

• Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 8:19 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

A S&S free spin would be fine if they were getting tight on space, we know that is not the case for KD. 

I think they need a B&M hyper. They lack in the floater air department.

I would say no because there's literally the first B&M hyper not too far away.

A flyer or a wing would do that park good. I would even argue that they need both considering the the speculation that Anaconda won't be around much longer.

• Like 1

I really like 4D Freefly coasters, they don't seem too expensive, and give great rides, granted I've only been on Joker at Six Flags Great America, but if it runs anything like Joker does, it'll be a fine addition to a park that desperately needs something new, and if you forget about Volcano for a minute, a 4D Freefly is a great replacement for The Crypt. I'm sure Kings Dominion will have something eventually for Volcano's plot of land, maybe that's why they shelved their wing coaster, which also would've been a fine addition, but not a true worthy replacement to the ride Volcano was, just maybe they're going to hold out for something bigger than a wing coaster.

• Like 2

They lack in the floater air department.

Wouldn't Rebel Yell have floater? It's basically just the younger brother of Racer.

Oh, wait I'm sorry, I mean RaCeR 75!!

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I had a brainfart and forgot I posted one just 1 minute ago.

• Haha 1

I think they need a B&M hyper. They lack in the floater air department.

This 100%.  Intimidator 305, for all intents and purposes, was a flop.  It very rarely has a line more than 10 minutes, and very few people want to re-ride it.  It took 8 years after I305 debuted for another large coaster install.

On the other hand, the B&M hypers that Cedar Fair has installed in 2008 (Behemoth), 2009 (Diamondback), and 2010 (Intimidator - Carowinds) quickly led to even larger B&M hyper installations in the form of the B&M gigacoasters.  The B&M exclusivity contract tied with Apollo's Chariot should have run out by now, so this should be at least an option.  A coaster like Goliath at either SFOG or La Ronde would be absolutely perfect for KD.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 4 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I wonder what Cedar Fair thinks of this park. Its got a lot of competition with BGW not to mention the Six Flags parks only hours away. 

Do you try to compete with BGW or do you try to change your target customer base?

I think the answer is change your target customer base. They used to be very much a thrill oriented park, former launch capital of the world. However under Cedar Fair they've really focused more on the family's.  They've invested heavily into their kids area and its now the largest Peanuts themed Kids area in the world.  They still certainly cater to thrill seekers but I no longer think that is who they want their primary market to be, it seems they're more geared toward the family. Another major aspect, especially for southern parks is their water park. That is also a major draw for them id assume. BGW was historically the more family focused park until recent years, however it seems they're now targeting thrill seekers more. Overall I think the parks that perform very well are those that cater to families, just look at Kings Island

• Like 3

• 3 months later...
On 4/2/2020 at 6:51 PM, Benjamin22 said:

I think the answer is change your target customer base. They used to be very much a thrill oriented park, former launch capital of the world. However under Cedar Fair they've really focused more on the family's.  They've invested heavily into their kids area and its now the largest Peanuts themed Kids area in the world.  They still certainly cater to thrill seekers but I no longer think that is who they want their primary market to be, it seems they're more geared toward the family. Another major aspect, especially for southern parks is their water park. That is also a major draw for them id assume. BGW was historically the more family focused park until recent years, however it seems they're now targeting thrill seekers more. Overall I think the parks that perform very well are those that cater to families, just look at Kings Island

Could they become A knotts east coast had some dark rides family fun at family pricing a signature village plaza at the entrance maybe a Mrs knotts East ??

4 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

^^KD will lose spectacularly in a theming war with BGW. 

To be fair Cedar Fair recently has been theming their attractions more and more. Weber group, who did theming for Copperhead strike frequently does work for SEAS, could maybe work with KD. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Benjamin22 said:

To be fair Cedar Fair recently has been theming their attractions more and more. Weber group, who did theming for Copperhead strike frequently does work for SEAS, could maybe work with KD. 

westcoaster was suggesting they become Knott's East, which is a far cry from what the other CF parks are doing and would require Carowinds' level of investment in what I think would be a losing strategy to compete with a park very well known for it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Dennis Spiegel said one big mistake with KD was not naming it Kings Island.  Suppose they had named it Kings Island instead of Kings Dominion.  What would you expect to have changed at both Kings Island parks if this had happened?

Wow  never heard this thank goodness they were not named samed..Now going back generations my Granparents loved Coney Cincinnati. they loved kings dominion the eifel tower n keepsakes all from Dominion not the Island.  

I think two Kings Islands would have veen too much. 

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, gforce1994 said:

The Free Spin is going to be a custom model, not the model found at SF or Adventureland parks.

Looking at the supports, it is clear that Kings Dominion is not getting the Six Flags model.  The four  \|/ shaped supports that get bolted to the foundation are not there.  We don't know if this coaster is the same model as Adventureland Park or not.

https://twitter.com/KDFansOnline/status/1335308941694291968

Six Flags model:

spacer.png

Dragon Slayer at Adventureland Park:

spacer.png