Future of The Bat

Maverick44

I was not sure if there was a topic on this already.

With Vortex being removed how long can we see The Bat sticking around? I know its not as old as Vortex but I feel like going up the lift gets slower and slower every season and there is also never a long line.  I rode it once this season and it was way more rough then its ever been IMO.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

I was not sure if there was a topic on this already.

With Vortex being removed how long can we see The Bat sticking around? I know its not as old as Vortex but I feel like going up the lift gets slower and slower every season and there is also never a long line.  I rode it once this season and it was way more rough then its ever been IMO.

Thoughts?

Bat goes up the lift slower due to the blocking.  The train on the brakes comes off that block section slower as the bottom used to hit the centering rail too fast and led to people banging their heads on the restraints, and its less hard on the chain motors to slow than to stop then start.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

Bat goes up the lift slower due to the blocking.  The train on the brakes comes off that block section slower as the bottom used to hit the centering rail too fast and led to people banging their heads on the restraints, and its less hard on the chain motors to slow than to stop then start.  

Any thoughts on how long we may see The Bat hanging out back there? It is one of my favs in the whole park. I know Arrows are getting harder to maintain with parts and whatnot. Just seemed real rough to me  this season.

I know people say this a lot, but I'm gonna say it.

The Bat is quite a walk from the rest of the park, which is a strike. From several accounts of riders it has a slow lift hill (which I'm pretty sure everyone is aware of) and its getting rougher, which is another strike.

But other than these factors, it would depend on The Bat's ridership and how much it takes to maintain it. If ridership is low and/or it become to expensive to maintain a ride, it would probably be in the parks interest to remove it. Parks have to make so much per acre, and if the park starts losing money, again, its in their best interests (business wise) to remove whats there and find an alternative to make better use of that specific land. But I do not know how much it costs to maintain The Bat or what it's ridership statistics are, so there are several known and unknown variables here.

• Sad 1

I agree it vibrated a lot, but I think that's just due to needing a paint touch up.  I wouldn't qualify that as being rough though.    Parts aren't a concern because S&S still churns them out.  

Several suspended coasters are defunct from age, but all those were either pretty aggressive compared to Bat and I have to think with BBW that with Schwarzkopf starting it and Arrow finishing it that something with the design unique to it led to it going early along with some aggressive swinging as well.   Ninja is one to watch in that regard.  

I would say Bat's got between 5-10 years, and that might be generous. 

• Like 5

The location of the station is not exactly ideal. Is there potential there if it's removed? Eh. Maybe. If Bat goes then I can see Xtreme Skyflyer going with it or at least being relocated. That area used to have two major coasters, but that was before Banshee. I don't think there's a whole lot of room for a modern day Cedar Fair-esque plaza should they build another major attraction. For that reason, I don't see the removal happening for quite awhile, assuming it's still sound mechanically, especially when The Vortex plot will be open. It's actually, in my opinion, quite an ugly area back by Bat. A huge gravel service road with a giant concrete and steel station over it; it doesn't have the charm other areas have.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I hope it stays for quite a while longer. I don’t see Kings Island removing another coaster anytime soon (although I also said the same after Firehawk was removed). I think The Bat will be here at least till Vortex is replaced. If Action Zone ever gets a much needed retheme and overhaul I think that could help with The Bats ridership. 

4 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

It's actually, in my opinion, quite an ugly area back by Bat. A huge gravel service road with a giant concrete and steel station over it; it doesn't have the charm other areas have.

Minus the gravel road, I would say Action Zone fits that category.

• Like 2

I can see it going two ways for The Bat. It will either be removed to make way for a more modern coaster within the next few years or they will build up the traffic around it with a modern coaster nearby, giving it a few extra years of operation. Either way, I suspect that said coaster will likely be using Son of Beast's old station. I'm not very fond of it, but we can definitely expect the Adventure Express to be the last operating Arrow coaster at King's Island within ten years or so. Personally, I'll be ultimately content with that so long as AE gets to live indefinitely. Wooden supports and low G's are beneficial attributes that The Bat just doesn't have.

It's definitely going to be sad to see such a unique type of coaster disappear from the world. I'm happy I was able to ride it and The Vortex so many times.

• Like 2

I enjoy the walk back there too.  I still remember that line being queued up to the midway when it first opened.

I just always wished it was longer and little higher drop.  Would have been nice if it had a double lift hill like the original Bat.  But there is that thing about costs, maintenance, capacity per hour, etc..

Recently re-discovered this ride with my kids hitting 48'' this year. Gotta say I love the setting and the ride itself. It's unique and great for kids and that first sequence is pretty intense if it's your first ride of the day. I hope it hangs around for a while. All that said, that terrain back there would be perfect for a Beast-like RMC if they wanted to re-purpose the station. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, rlentless said:

I enjoy the walk back there too.  I still remember that line being queued up to the midway when it first opened.

I just always wished it was longer and little higher drop.  Would have been nice if it had a double lift hill like the original Bat.  But there is that thing about costs, maintenance, capacity per hour, etc..

I have ALWAYS wished is was a longer layout. Its over in the blink of an eye lol. I have always loved heading into break run in the front seat. Feels like you are going right in to that support on the right lol

1 minute ago, Maverick44 said:

I have ALWAYS wished is was a longer layout. Its over in the blink of an eye lol. I have always loved heading into break run in the front seat. Feels like you are going right in to that support on the right lol

Keep in mind though, the longer the layout is the more costly it is to continuously operate. That's one reason among many that The Vortex was such a terrible candidate for retracking.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Keep in mind though, the longer the layout is the more costly it is to continuously operate. That's one reason among many that The Vortex was such a terrible candidate for retracking.

I understand. It just felt it was very short. 

I feel like I have to chime in as I'm one of The Bat's biggest fans...

I've loved the coaster since it was Top Gun; it used to be one of my standbys as a kid. I've pretty much loved it throughout its lifetime (there was a brief period where I resented the repaint because change!) and I'd hate to see it go. I do not mind the walk back there and I think it's one of the most photogenic (and unique) coasters in the park. Although it may not be as intense as modern coasters are nowadays (while people now think of The Bat as stepping stone coaster, it apparently was billed as a thriller when it came out), it has its moments ( like swinging above the station as well as that intense turn on the far end of the course, near Banshee). It is also very cool to watch as the individual cars swing and articulate to the track. All things considered, I also realize it is getting older and maybe it will lose its luster with me (there are some rides on it that aren't quite as thrilling as expected; it seems to happen when it's the first ride of the day- but maybe that's because my anticipation is more than the thrill provided, if that makes sense); see below*. When its time does come, I think an Axis coaster that could emulate the original Bat's feel and layout OR a floorless would be great replacements.

*However, I am very curious to see/experience how my relationship is with that coaster after riding Orion (which may or may not dethrone The Bat as my favorite coaster in the park).

• Like 2

The Bat provides a unique experience that is become rarer as time goes on. The entire east coast doesn't even have a suspended coaster anymore and it would really be a shame to lose such a unique attraction especially considering it was the last suspended coaster ever built.  Part of the reason I always loved Kings Island was because of the diversity of rides it has had. Growing up with Great Adventure as a home park there hasn't been much variety in recent years. I'd hate to lose a ride that can appeal to the masses as both a fun ride for the younger rider as well as adults, while at the same time providing a unique and increasingly rare experience. 

• Like 4

I hope it sticks around for at least the better part of another decade, but it'd be interesting to see how they use that land once The Bat is removed. I feel like it's only ideal for a specific kind of coaster and a suspended rollercoaster fit that bill perfectly.

In the meantime, I do wish there was something they could with the first half of that path. If they level it out, get rid of that are with the bridge and Wolf Pack, could they maybe fit in a flat or another attraction, a queue line for another coaster leading into that old SOB area perhaps? 

• Like 2