Jump to content
Maverick44

Future of The Bat

Recommended Posts

I'd rather not be the first park to receive the S&S Axis. I'd wait until the kinks are worked out and we can build one on a much larger scale than the prototype that goes to whoever.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bat ... it's fine! 

I loved the ride when it was Top Gun (and I was much younger). These days, I might not always trek out there (which is really weird, since I ride Banshee several times a visit...and can't walk a little bit more to The Bat?), but I rode it with my nephew this year and we had a good time. I grew up with Iron Dragon, which is a ride that has definitely seen better days (it's slow and dull). The Bat swings you around and is a gorgeous photo spot. 

That said, I feel like Action Zone is way overdue for an update. It's the one area of the park where the theming is incoherent or, honestly, non-existent (except: ... action?) . I'm not a big fan of all-year haunts (or, to be honest, haunts in general). But I feel like using The Bat and The Banshee to establish a kind of supernatural theme -- haunted castle/woods? -- ripping out Invertigo and Congo Falls and really doing something with that area would be a good call. It's the corner of the park that feels most Six Flags-ish and thrown together, even if there are some legit great rides (Banshee, Delirium, Drop Tower) there. But everything from Timberwolf back through Invertigo/Congo Falls really needs an overhaul. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bat isn’t getting slower and slower because of age, The Bat has a VFD motor or variable frequency drive and can be sped up or slowed down in the programming of its PLC. I adjusted some of its ladders logic back in 2002 and I’m sure by now it’s been modified many times since. There is multiple position sensors along the entire lift and I programmed the PLC to start slow up the lift until hitting the first sensor to reduce wear on the lift chain from the start then it was programmed to speed up and would maintain its full lift speed as long as the other train wasn’t occupying the block brakes before the station, if it was then the PLC would slow the VFD to allow time for the block brakes to clear and if by the time it reached the last sensor at the crest and the block wasn’t clear it was programmed to stop, again that was done to reduce wear on the lift motor. 

  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

The Bat ... it's fine! 

I loved the ride when it was Top Gun (and I was much younger). These days, I might not always trek out there (which is really weird, since I ride Banshee several times a visit...and can't walk a little bit more to The Bat?), but I rode it with my nephew this year and we had a good time. I grew up with Iron Dragon, which is a ride that has definitely seen better days (it's slow and dull). The Bat swings you around and is a gorgeous photo spot. 

That said, I feel like Action Zone is way overdue for an update. It's the one area of the park where the theming is incoherent or, honestly, non-existent (except: ... action?) . I'm not a big fan of all-year haunts (or, to be honest, haunts in general). But I feel like using The Bat and The Banshee to establish a kind of supernatural theme -- haunted castle/woods? -- ripping out Invertigo and Congo Falls and really doing something with that area would be a good call. It's the corner of the park that feels most Six Flags-ish and thrown together, even if there are some legit great rides (Banshee, Delirium, Drop Tower) there. But everything from Timberwolf back through Invertigo/Congo Falls really needs an overhaul. 

With the destruction of Son of Beast and the exit of Paramount from the picture, Action Zone's really been a vacuum for theming. With most of the stuff having been themed to Paramount licensed films, it's kind of been an uphill battle for Cedar Fair to get a coherent style going for the section. I do think they want to eventually go for a full horror getup for it, but with so many rides not really compatible with said theme still having service to offer the park I'm guessing they're kind of stuck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

With the destruction of Son of Beast and the exit of Paramount from the picture, Action Zone's really been a vacuum for theming. With most of the stuff having been themed to Paramount licensed films, it's kind of been an uphill battle for Cedar Fair to get a coherent style going for the section. I do think they want to eventually go for a full horror getup for it, but with so many rides not really compatible with said theme still having service to offer the park I'm guessing they're kind of stuck.

Nothing a little paint and new name couldn't fix.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Nothing a little paint and new name couldn't fix.....

I agree with this. I think CGA is the one who painted there Drop Tower to look like a gaint redwood. KI could do the same if they were going to go with a dark forest or mystic beast section of the park. Congo falls would actually fit that theme. The only others would be Delirium and Invertigo needing a paint job or naming change. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hueney020 said:

I agree with this. I think CGA is the one who painted there Drop Tower to look like a gaint redwood. KI could do the same if they were going to go with a dark forest or mystic beast section of the park. Congo falls would actually fit that theme. The only others would be Delirium and Invertigo needing a paint job or naming change. 

Also i think Delirium name fits well in a haunted / dark forest. Just needs painted. Just remove Invertigo completely and replace with a Raptor or euro fighter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is reliable, I see no reason for them to close it down.  This is a recent trend that I hope stops. 

IMHO, the front seat of The Bat is one of the most under-rated rides in the park.  The different between front seat and any other on this ride is huge. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...