BoddaH1994

The Beach Waterpark is for sale!

Only time I was there was for the holiday event in 2006. While not priced into oblivion like WinterFest 2005, there's no arguing the production value of WF2005 totally destroyed the old Beach event. Beach's thing was cheap, but you could tell it was cheap.

The pedal boats on the lazy river were, uh, interesting. Those things couldn't steer well enough to keep up with a winding lazy river, and the length of them was less than the width of the river itself. Just on my one time through that, I encountered several mishaps in the form of boats turned around in reverse with staff seemingly never going out to check, and personally encountered a boat in front of mine that was stuck sideways at a curve. Out in the back part of the river away from the event area, it was quite dark and again the staff they claimed were keeping an eye on the course seemed to be non-existent. Someone on a boat that came up behind mine during that jam had a flashlight and I was able to use my boat to nudge the stuck-sideways one back on track.

Other than that it was just a big tent in the empty wave pool to act like a "festhaus" sort of place, a few small carnival rides, vendors (including KI's glassblower), and a sketchy looking "sled down a slide" thing. 

• Like 1

I talked to some sources familiar with the situation. This story isn’t over. Hopefully it ends up for the better. Expect an announcement in a couple of months.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Kings Island should invest in the property as an offsite resort. Hotel, motel, camping and resort water park. There’s lots of land over there.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, upstop said:

Kings Island should invest in the property as an offsite resort. Hotel, motel, camping and resort water park. There’s lots of land over there.

Does anyone know if Kings Island has a non-compete agreement with Great Wolf Lodge? I know they were partial owners at one point.

19 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

Does anyone know if Kings Island has a non-compete agreement with Great Wolf Lodge? I know they were partial owners at one point.

I don't think they have a non-compete.  I think it comes down to not making sense to build a hotel with a 400 room resort next door.

To clarify what you said about ownership, Paramount traded the land to Great Wolf for a 15% stake in that particular resort. When Cedar Fair purchased the park from CBS, CBS retained ownership of that 15%.  A few years later Great Wolf Resorts purchased that 15% back from them.  

• Confused 1

The only way I see a resort ever being at KI is for CF to buy GWL.  It could be a pretty sweet set up, I'd say they would expand the waterpark and change the hotel to have a more broad reach.  I don't see that happening, but I didn't see a new woody, a renovated IS, good music back, Winterfest, Grand Carnivale and the removal of Vortex.

If they ever add lodging, I'd say it would be a Marriott style hotel near Soak City if zoning would allow it.  There is a large grassy area, close to the waterpark and freeway.  But with the hotel saturation point nearby, I don't see it happening either.

• Like 1