Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

15 hours ago, KI Guy said:

1. Tear it down and replace it with a dedicated prefab steel building.

2. Add classy looking graffiti on the side of the building for good measure a la Club Blood.

3. Make it a "premium" haunt.

If we are going down that road then you minus well go for broke. Add enough room to the premium Haunt for a themed Haunt dinner buffet like Night of the Living Fed. Also do what Kennywood and Knotts do. Dinner buffet comes with ERT of some kind. Editing this to say the Haunt should be a partial or all indoor log flume. The theme could be old ride gravestones and you will sit in a Vortex car log.

• Like 2

Video, but yes. I was honestly hoping the park would do a mounted pov closing day or something, but at least there is this. On another note, everytime I see a new post in this thread my heart drops a little bit at the thought of demolition pictures. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bdd127 said:

Video, but yes. I was honestly hoping the park would do a mounted pov closing day or something, but at least there is this. On another note, everytime I see a new post in this thread my heart drops a little bit at the thought of demolition pictures. 

Sleep well tonight.  "Seeable" demolition probably won't start until after the first of the year.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Sleep well tonight.  "Seeable" demolition probably won't start until after the first of the year.

I need more time to prepare myself, I'll never be ready. Here's to praying they do a plaque like they did for Son of Beast. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bdd127 said:

I need more time to prepare myself, I'll never be ready. Here's to praying they do a plaque like they did for Son of Beast. 

Entirely possible.  Maybe as part of the next ride's themeing... whatever that may be.  Maybe work it into the Orion storyline?  That could be fun too.

Also, the powers that be tell me that the theory about Anaconda at KD playing some sort of role in the removal of Vortex is simply not true.  That ride is a couple of years younger than Vortex.   When its day comes, it will come. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Entirely possible.  Maybe as part of the next ride's themeing... whatever that may be.  Maybe work it into the Orion storyline?  That could be fun too.

Also, the powers that be tell me that the theory about Anaconda at KD playing some sort of role in the removal of Vortex is simply not true.  That ride is a couple of years younger than Vortex.   When its day comes, it will come. 

I would also imagine Anaconda has a bit less stress on the Track and Structure, Vortex was a record breaker and had a longer layout which most likely meant more in maintenance. Not to mention just my theory, but I'd imagine having the corkscrews and loops so high in the air also didn't help. I'm thankful for 33 years, I want more, but she very well could have gone even sooner. 

• Like 4

It goes without saying, but I don't think I'll be ready either for what's coming...I bet seeing Vortex come down will feel as surreal as my final ride.

But for now, as long as Winterfest goes on, I'm enjoying it still being there and not focusing on its impending doom while I (and we) still can. :)

• Like 10

2 hours ago, BeastieFanatic said:

that land is so perfect though for so many different types of coasters. Im excited to see whatever goes in, although I know it will take a few years. but honestly id rather see them remove BLSC and replace it with something else before seeing Vortex get removed. 

Couldn't agree more!!!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BeastieFanatic said:

it would be real nice of them to keep one of the loops and have it turned into a memorial piece at the front of the park or something. a piece of KI history as well as a way to spruce up the entrance 

While keeping anything would be a miracle, I think keeping a loop is unlikely it sits in the middle of the area and sitting so high up would probably not make much sense in terms of future expansion, if anything I think the park would be much more likely to keep the boomerang/batwing. It already sits indented a bit and would look a little out of place without it, plus with it being such a famous picture location and probably the most famous spot on the coaster I could see the park leaving it as a memorial with a nice plaque in front of it explaining what the ride was. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bdd127 said:

While keeping anything would be a miracle, I think keeping a loop is unlikely it sits in the middle of the area and sitting so high up would probably not make much sense in terms of future expansion, if anything I think the park would be much more likely to keep the boomerang/batwing. It already sits indented a bit and would look a little out of place without it, plus with it being such a famous picture location and probably the most famous spot on the coaster I could see the park leaving it as a memorial with a nice plaque in front of it explaining what the ride was. 

I meant moving the loop to the entrance of the park

• Like 3

I really don’t see this being the end of Vortex, but rather an upgrade. I could be wrong, however we have rides similar to Vortex and older than Vortex still in operation, Loch Ness for example, Corkscrew, Viper, Demon, I’m not sure that the ride is at the end of its cycle, I think there’s something going on.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jj20coloh said:

I really don’t see this being the end of Vortex, but rather an upgrade. I could be wrong, however we have rides similar to Vortex and older than Vortex still in operation, Loch Ness for example, Corkscrew, Viper, Demon, I’m not sure that the ride is at the end of its cycle, I think there’s something going on.

Vortex removal is certainly a planned event unlike SoB, Wildcat at CP in 2012 or KD's Volcano.

I would expect to see activity (i.e. stakes in ground) in a few years.  A bigger sign something will be done with the area is if the station house remains in some capacity.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pkiridesmaint said:

I can confirm that almost all reusable hardware has been removed from Vortex, ride control systems, induction sensors, brakes, pneumatic systems and lift hardware. 

It really sounds like Cedar Fair isn't interested in keeping the other surviving arrows in tip top shape, but instead keeping them on life support until they no longer can. Basically like a giant band-aid. 

• Like 1

^ I think one can make a possible deduction from the statement.  Why go through the effort of removing all "re-usable hardware" if the intent is not to re-use it?  Once can then ask where would it likely get re-used?  Probably on other similar rides (i.e. remaining Arrow coasters).  Which makes sense, and saves CF money in the long run.  

Honestly, I would expect a corporation to be smart about the disposal of their assets.  Keeping any aging steel coaster in "tip-top" shape doesn't really make sense, as history has shown us they have a definitive lifespan.

3 hours ago, pkiridesmaint said:

I can confirm that almost all reusable hardware has been removed from Vortex, ride control systems, induction sensors, brakes, pneumatic systems and lift hardware. 

What a shame :unsure:

I expect we will get a new coaster in Vortex’s spot in 2022 for the 50 year anniversary. CF is investing HEAVILY into KI as evidenced by 4 new coasters in 11 years. I don’t see them sitting with this property empty for long as it would be an eyesore and anger people. They have a plan as this was not a last second decision. I hope they don’t move the cam and we can see the destruction of this beloved coaster in real time.

• Like 2

Thanks, I needed a good laugh today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk