Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

54 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I know the ride was at the end of its life span but I just wonder if something came up in an inspection one day.  It just seems like very weird timing to me as I doubt they have anything planned for the area for at least the next few years.  

I figure it's like an old car. At some point you just gotta cut your losses and let it go or you're going to get killed maintaining it...aka diminishing returns.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

I think its a safe assumption that it's days were numbered, BUT- this wasn't the anticipated timing.

Hey, Mike Baxter here for Outdoor Man reminding you that the great outdoors has much to teach us.  For example, do you know something you’ll never see in nature? A millenial still living at home. And you know why? It isn’t good for them… . BUY YOUR OWN #&#@ MILK!  You see, it really doesn’t matter if the teet is attached your mom, an -almond-, or the government; if you suckle at it too long you won’t learn how to be a grown up in the real world.  Of course, in nature the parents don’t mess around… Birds will just launch the kid out of the nest. They don’t even check to see if the little bird can fly. They’re like, “well, you have a couple seconds to figure it out otherwise you’re going to get eaten down there…”  With people it’s a little trickier. Especially if it’s the very people your loving wife gave birth to. If you’re really lucky you get to take in a stray. It’s like- birth one, get one free.

Agreed. But we don't see the numbers they are looking at.  (btw...wtf is up with your signature paragraph? might wanna tone it down)

• Like 1

On 11/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, foze.bear said:

I hope so too.  I remember that ride house for The Bat, which I got to ride twice!  I loved the original Bat!  I was never a big Vortex fan, but that land and ride house are almost sacred....

I asked Don at the ACE Orion construction tour about The Vortex station staying or going. He said he didn't know, but he did say they will tear down the ride down in January. I think him saying that tells me that it probably stays  and will be reused somehow for the next ride. If it does stay, that will indicate it probably won't be a dive coaster as they would have to widen that station a lot to get it to fit. Seems more likely that an RMC would reuse the station before any kind of B&M.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

I asked Don at the ACE Orion construction tour about The Vortex station staying or going. He said he didn't know, but he did say they will tear down the ride down in January. I think him saying that tells me that it probably stays  and will be reused somehow for the next ride. If it does stay, that will indicate it probably won't be a dive coaster as they would have to widen that station a lot to get it to fit. Seems more likely that an RMC would reuse the station before any kind of B&M.

Son of Beast station still stands. Just sayin'.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Agreed. But we don't see the numbers they are looking at.  (btw...wtf is up with your signature paragraph? might wanna tone it down)

It is also not factually correct.  Countless species live together as a family unit through several generations.  It has only recently become uncommon for 2-4 generations of Americans to not live as a household.  Maybe not the best example of a functional family, but ever watch Dallas?

Back on topic, Parks don't generally tear stations down unless they have a need.  The way I look at it, getting torn down tells us more than if it is left standing.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, kirbias1 said:

Yep, and it's also back where no one really sees it and not in a prime location like Vortex. Plus, Banshee and Bat being in the way make it very difficult to build a coaster there.

Son of Beast station is not in a prime location now...but it once was prime real-estate. Anyhoo...yeah, I think they might use The Vortex station for temporary or even long-term-haunts, might keep it later, might tear it down right away, or not...there's a ton of options for the land that Vortex occupies. Safe to say we dunno.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

Son of Beast station is not in a prime location now...but it once was prime real-estate. Anyhoo...yeah, I think they might use The Vortex station for temporary or even long-term-haunts, might keep it later, might tear it down right away, or not...there's a ton of options for the land that Vortex occupies. Safe to say we dunno.

Of course we don't know. Don said he didn't as well. Just guessing that because of Vortex's station being iconic, in a prime location and much more aesthetically pleasing than SOB's station, that it will stay and be reused somehow for the next coaster. I hope it stays regardless.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MrSourNinja said:

The fact that track is coming down this early must mean they have something planned. Why else would they create an empty area of the park? Not like they are getting anything for the track $ wise...

If they do put another coaster in there, I wouldn't expect it till at least 2023.

21 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

The fact that track is coming down this early must mean they have something planned. Why else would they create an empty area of the park? Not like they are getting anything for the track $ wise...

It wouldn’t look that great to have a giant abandoned attraction toward the middle of your park tbh. Yes the ride visually looks fine but it’d likely confuse guests.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MrSourNinja said:

A quick google search reveals scrap steel goes for $1.34/lb. in Ohio and steel coasters seem to use around 2000 tons of steel or 4 million pounds.  Even if Vortex is on the extreme lower end that is still well over a million dollars.  I think the bean counters at corporate pay very close attention to figures like that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

A quick google search reveals scrap steel goes for $1.34/lb. in Ohio and steel coasters seem to use around 2000 tons of steel or 4 million pounds.  Even if Vortex is on the extreme lower end that is still well over a million dollars.  I think the bean counters at corporate pay very close attention to figures like that.

You’re way off, scrap steel only pays on average .05 cents a pound. The average is price is 119 a ton 

• Like 6

The fact that they are already demolishing the pre lift area tells me that they are removing the track through the station carefully as to preserve the station and prevent the hired demolition contractor from accidentally damaging the iconic structure 
So my theory may be correct? I have learned alot in these 5 years of being an enthusiast! Thanks for that,@pkiridesmaint ! I've learned much from your posts!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pkiridesmaint said:

The fact that they are already demolishing the pre lift area tells me that they are removing the track through the station carefully as to preserve the station and prevent the hired demolition contractor from accidentally damaging the iconic structure 

Actually, it’s likely to create an access point for heavy machinery to enter the ride area and demolish it. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

Actually, it’s likely to create an access point for heavy machinery to enter the ride area and demolish it. 

Not likely, if they are creating an access point they would do it is the final break run gate next to troika. They wouldn’t be doing this pre work just to create access, they would have the contractor do that. There’s a reason they’re doing this ahead of time 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pkiridesmaint said:

Not likely, if they are creating an access point they would do it is the final break run gate next to troika. They wouldn’t be doing this pre work just to create access, they would have the contractor do that. There’s a reason they’re doing this ahead of time 

Do we know who is already taking the ride down?? You make it sound like KI maintenance is removing the ride right now. 

• Like 2