Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

23 hours ago, Bdd127 said:

I really just hope the station gets saved. Not only is it iconic, but we will never see another structure like it. It is probably my favorite station of all time. 

I actually feel the opposite. I hate how SoB station is still there. Even though Vortex has a nice building, I still think leaving a station there without a ride looks a little "ghetto".

• Like 2

The station more than likely will not be saved i asked Don and he said he was not sure but didnt see any plans to "save" the station as of now. But i have to agree with him. He said if it still remains then that only reminds you of what used to be, better to look at the future. 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2019 at 10:42 PM, kirbias1 said:

I asked Don at the ACE Orion construction tour about The Vortex station staying or going. He said he didn't know, but he did say they will tear down the ride down in January. I think him saying that tells me that it probably stays  and will be reused somehow for the next ride. If it does stay, that will indicate it probably won't be a dive coaster as they would have to widen that station a lot to get it to fit. Seems more likely that an RMC would reuse the station before any kind of B&M.

RMC or a GCI.  GCI did a great job with Mystic, and I believe GCI has founder linage that goes back to Philadelphia Toboggan Company....

Vekoma is still apparently able to make suspended coasters, so I would LOVE to see The Bat return to the ride house!  It would be cool if they could make it go back into the woods like the old Arrow in South Korea.  

Alas, with The Bat still standing, not sure this would happen....

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ohio Coaster Boy 19 said:

The station more than likely will not be saved i asked Don and he said he was not sure but didnt see any plans to "save" the station as of now. But i have to agree with him. He said if it still remains then that only reminds you of what used to be, better to look at the future. 

I get that point of view I really do but my reasoning behind saving it is not a reminder of The Vortex but simply put it, it one of the most beautiful stations I have seen and they don't make them like that anymore. Take a look at the past coasters built. Mystic Timbers, Banshee and Diamondback are just simply elevated rectangles with a set for stairs. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I get that point of view I really do but my reasoning behind saving it is not a reminder of The Vortex but simply put it, it one of the most beautiful stations I have seen and they don't make them like that anymore. Take a look at the past coasters built. Mystic Timbers, Banshee and Diamondback are just simply elevated rectangles with a set for stairs. 

Oh trust me i understand!! I love that station, its the most iconic station ive ever seen. i would hate to see it go. im just saying it dont look like it in the near future. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BeastieFanatic said:

I agree its important to look towards the future, but history is important too, and if they continue to just demolish the past then would it still be the same park? 

Change is unavoidable. Eventually everything decays. One day even The Beast will be demolished. It's just how things are. That being said, Cedar Fair has proved to me that they value the Park's history again and again. There's a reason they didn't sell out to Six Flags.

• Like 4

six flags is a terribly managed company, I dont even think they wouldve had the capital to justify purchasing Cedar Fair, probably requiring additional outside investment. I agree Cedar Fair has shown it cares about Kings Island (winterfest, antique cars, renaming The Bat) but surely they know how important that station house is.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BeastieFanatic said:

six flags is a terribly managed company, I dont even think they wouldve had the capital to justify purchasing Cedar Fair, probably requiring additional outside investment. I agree Cedar Fair has shown it cares about Kings Island (winterfest, antique cars, renaming The Bat) but surely they know how important that station house is. 

I guess we shall see. Seeing as they can't really get much money out of the materials and it isn't taking up any space, I doubt they have plans to remove it any time soon.

2 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

One day even The Beast will be demolished. It's just how things are.

That's not necessarily true. Beast is wooden. You can prolong the life of a wooden coaster basically indefinitely. Beast will almost certainly be at Kings Island as long as the park continues to exist.

Now, a day will come when there is no longer a single individual piece of lumber on the ride that was there in 1979. That day is probably not too far away. That day may even have already come, but I doubt anyone can say conclusively.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, homestar92 said:

That's not necessarily true. Beast is wooden. You can prolong the life of a wooden coaster basically indefinitely. Beast will almost certainly be at Kings Island as long as the park continues to exist.

Now, a day will come when there is no longer a single individual piece of lumber on the ride that was there in 1979. That day is probably not too far away. That day may even have already come, but I doubt anyone can say conclusively.

Yes, King's Island will one day change owners or file for bankruptcy and The Beast will eventually either rot away from neglect or be torn to pieces by an incompetent entity. It's just how it goes. Could be a hundred years from now. Could be a thousand. It's definitely gonna happen though.

• Like 2

I can't remember where I heard it from, maybe Coasterstock. But supposedly, 90% of the structure of The Beast is 1979 original.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

21 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Shaggy posted earlier that the contractor for Orion has the contract to demo Vortex.....

Oh Wow, SkyHigh Coasters must also have another division called SkytoGround Coasters. Interesting.....

On another note....whoever demos it, I wonder if they will remove the old Bat footings that can still be seen. If so, that could be an indicator that they are planning to do something with the site, too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, kirbias1 said:

Oh Wow, SkyHigh Coasters must also have another division called SkytoGround Coasters. Interesting.....

On another note....whoever demos it, I wonder if they will remove the old Bat footings that can still be seen. If so, that could be an indicator that they are planning to do something with the site, too. 

Based on past removals of roller coasters in the park I would think they would be removed.

I will say, again and again. I know these things are inevitable. But I will also say that parks without classic coasters simply feel sterile. That’s how I’ve been feeling about the wave of classic and unique coasters going out. Yes, yes. I realize that’s the nature of The Beast here. But I can also have my view on how the removal of wise old machines with what they’re being replaced with feels uniformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I will say, again and again. I know these things are inevitable. But I will also say that parks without classic coasters simply feel sterile. That’s how I’ve been feeling about the wave of classic and unique coasters going out. Yes, yes. I realize that’s the nature of The Beast here. But I can also have my view on how the removal of wise old machines with what they’re being replaced with feels uniformed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with this 100% and is part of the reason why I believe Great Adventure has gone downhill in the last decade or so, they barley even have a classic left. 

• Like 3

On 12/19/2019 at 10:11 AM, Ohio Coaster Boy 19 said:

Oh trust me i understand!! I love that station, its the most iconic station ive ever seen. i would hate to see it go. im just saying it dont look like it in the near future. 

It would be cool if it were moved to a historical park like carillon or if there is a Cincy historical park that preserves older buildings and icons etc.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

Was just thinking an relocated old station could be an interesting lakehouse or showerhouse.  Used to work with a guy that rehabbed an old caboose into a showerhouse for his pool. 

It can’t. Most people don’t realize if you built a building on a hill, it can’t be relocated without massive amount of re-engineering.

• Like 1

Y'all...the station is not historic. It was built in what, 1983? It has an appeal to us as enthusiasts, and to a lesser degree, the locals. But my house that was built in the 70s could be deemed historic if we go by how many years it's been there.

That being said, I wish it would stay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2