Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

43 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Y'all...the station is not historic. It was built in what, 1983? It has an appeal to us as enthusiasts, and to a lesser degree, the locals. But my house that was built in the 70s could be deemed historic if we go by how many years it's been there.

I mean age isn’t really what makes something historic. What makes something historic is if it has any importance to history, and while the station doesn’t isn’t nearly the most historic thing in the park I wouldn’t say it has no historic value. 

• Like 1

I think the historic value of the station house comes from the fact that it first housed The Bat, the world’s first modern suspended coaster. And that coaster, as we all are aware, holds a lot of lore and legend. Then of course it’s been the home to Vortex for the last 30+ years, which again, Vortex was a record smasher when it opened. Not to mention the memories and such it has accumulated over the decades.

Age isn’t always the solution. History can also be the value and impact left behind. I’ll use Market Square Arena, the former basketball house for the Indiana Pacers. That building was a mere 25 years old when they decided to retire it. That’s relatively young for a building to be retired from use. But the years aren’t what made it historic and also incredibly sad to lose, it’s all the concerts, games and memories made there. Wayne Gretzky got his start into hockey super stardom there. Reggie Miller put the Pacers on the map. Elvis held is last live performance ever there. Countless other tales can be told, along with my own personal memories of firsts that I saw there. That building wasn’t old, but it held a lot of significance to people for what it housed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

It definitely would fit in a place like carillon historical park with it's history more so than age. It's just a unique and interesting enough structure it would be nice to save. And they do have a couple of pieces that aren't directly Dayton related. If the demand was there they'd look into saving it as they have before with projects like newcoms tavern, lots of people requested the save and so they worked it out and saved it. 

It would better suit the Cincy area but I don't know if there is a historical park like that in Cincy.  It's more living history that people would enjoy beyond the park. 

12 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Y'all...the station is not historic. It was built in what, 1983? It has an appeal to us as enthusiasts, and to a lesser degree, the locals. But my house that was built in the 70s tcould be deemed historic if we go by how many years it's been there.

That being said, I wish it would stay.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It was the station for the first ever suspended rollercoaster ,The Bat and the record breaker, Vortex. The Bat was a precursor to Banshee and all of the other great inverted coasters out there today. The Vortex at the time was the highest rollercoaster in the world with the most inversions and the first to turn riders upside down and with three different types of inversions. It also pushed Cedar Point (for competition reasons) to build Magnum XL 200 which opened only 2 years later to be the new highest coaster in the world, which in turn started CP in building all the record breakers we see today. So, yeah, in my eyes in the context of amusement park history, it's historic.

That's my point. It has significant importance to us as enthusiasts and to it's place in park history, but outside of that it doesn't. It's a building that wouldn't be placed on The Register. It would need to stand many more years to be considered historic outside of the industry.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:09 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

Y'all...the station is not historic. It was built in what, 1983? It has an appeal to us as enthusiasts, and to a lesser degree, the locals. But my house that was built in the 70s could be deemed historic if we go by how many years it's been there.

That being said, I wish it would stay.

It housed the world's first suspended roller coaster. I think that's a pretty big piece to amusement park history personally.

• Like 1

It housed the world's first suspended roller coaster. I think that's a pretty big piece to amusement park history personally.
That's my point. It has significant importance to us as enthusiasts and to it's place in park history, but outside of that it doesn't. It's a building that wouldn't be placed on The Register. It would need to stand many more years to be considered historic outside of the industry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm not sure why it matters what those outside of the industry think when the park literally is the industry. If Cedar Fair considers it to be of historical value to their park, why would it be hard to believe that they would want to keep it for such a sentiment? Keep in mind that this is a company that has still kept the Son of Beast station after 10 years of being inactive.

• Like 1

My only point in my posts was to point out that the building is significant to us, the enthusiasts who love the park. But when people mourn the possible loss of the building and claim it's historic, some perspective needs to be considered. It's historic to me, but not to people outside of parks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

My only point in my posts was to point out that the building is significant to us, the enthusiasts who love the park. But when people mourn the possible loss of the building and claim it's historic, some perspective needs to be considered. It's historic to me, but not to people outside of parks.

It's historic to the park and roller coaster advancement as a whole. It's on the property and owned by the park, therefore it is completely valid to say that the historical value of the station offers significant reason for Cedar Fair to keep it.

23 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

It's historic to the park and roller coaster advancement as a whole. It's on the property and owned by the park, therefore it is completely valid to say that the historical value of the station offers significant reason for Cedar Fair to keep it.

amusement parks are not museums, I'm sure Kings Island has some evaluations to do with the land the ride sits on to decide what's best, but I can see this going 50/50, I would be sad to see the station go, but not too upset, and unlike Son of Beast, the station is in prime guest view, and might look ugly for a few years before something else goes into place.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, rhyano said:

amusement parks are not museums, I'm sure Kings Island has some evaluations to do with the land the ride sits on to decide what's best, but I can see this going 50/50, I would be sad to see the station go, but not too upset, and unlike Son of Beast, the station is in prime guest view, and might look ugly for a few years before something else goes into place.

I'd say the massive empty lot is gonna be an overwhelmingly bigger eyesore than the Victorian station.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think they should keep the station open next season, and ya'll that love it can visit and stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour to enhance your park visit while I hop on Orion! :-)

Have fun with Orion. I'll be enjoying a the shortest lines for Diamondback ever.

• Like 7

13 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

I think they should keep the station open next season, and ya'll that love it can visit and stand in line for 30 minutes to an hour to enhance your park visit while I hop on Orion! :-)

But The Vortex station is going to be the overflow que for Orion.  :huh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Speaking of queue over flows they should have made the line for the oldfashion cars longer. Those temporary queues are ugly and I always seem them in use. Cedar Fair loves to build extra long queue and for some reason I love to look at them. 

I'm guessing they don't anticipate particularly long wait times as the ride reaches a couple more years of age.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

What is being shown that is being removed? The steps in the video? I do not nessicarily think that removing a few steps means the station is being demolished for good....

Ehh idk just found it thought i would share. Is there any harm to that?

• Like 3