Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

I don't think they're going to do that with Vortex's corkscrews.   Alton Towers' version had its corkscrews close to the ground.  Vortex's are about 30 ft off the ground and it just seems impractical, especially due to how one of the corkscrews straddles the track between the loops.  That would be incredibly difficult to remove without damage.  

CP's Corkscrew is also close to the ground and the paths are already in place to keep that as is.  

Also, where would you put the corkscews as a display like that?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I don't think they're going to do that with Vortex's corkscrews.   Alton Towers' version had its corkscrews close to the ground.  Vortex's are about 30 ft off the ground and it just seems impractical, especially due to how one of the corkscrews straddles the track between the loops.  That would be incredibly difficult to remove without damage.  

CP's Corkscrew is also close to the ground and the paths are already in place to keep that as is.  

No with Vortex we are saying they keep the Batwing portion ( too late) near the midway just for photo ops or something.  Not the corkscrews, 

1 minute ago, silver2005 said:

I think you could have kept the corkscrew or the batwing where it is and leave it as a photo opp until they're ready to do something to occupy the space. It was always one of the best photo stops in the park. 

That said, I get it. They're opening the biggest coaster in the park's history next season, and it would look highly tacky to have a brand new roller coaster standing next to a SBNO one, even if it was just the photo opp there (although I think a big dirt field is going to look pretty odd as well, as would a bunch of high walls that aren't touting any new attraction). Vortex's removal this season was inevitable; I just wish the park had provided more access to watch it. It was a classic, and I'm sure they would have known that its fans would want to see it through its final stages. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Waltny said:

Sky High is building Orion and O'Rouke is tearing down Vortex.

Question here - are we back to not confirming sources again. :huh:

You may recall several months ago, someone (we will call original poster) said that Sky High had the contract to build Orion and take down Vortex.

Another poster asks for a source.

Original poster basically said it is well known he has connections in the industry and doesn't need to post his source.

Moderator posts that members are not to question information shared by the Mod team or by well respected members of this forum.

The same Another poster from above questioned how is a member supposed to know who the well respected members are - is it based on "reputation score" the site assigns or is there a list somewhere?

Discussion died at that point.

So the question is are you one of the well respected members with industry connections that we are not to question your posts or are we not confirming sources again?

I don't think you can both be correct, so who is actually taking down Vortex? :P

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

A coaster themed Haunt maze would be awesome with different scenes utilizing sections of track and cars.   Has that been done before?  

I like the idea...but I wonder if a PR team might get a bit nervous about the idea of a haunted house that says "hey, imagine if after this you went on one of our rides and died". :-) 

• Haha 4

Oh dang- I was hoping the station might get to stay, as it was used originally for the famous and now-defunct OG Bat, not to mention it was really nice architecture- it looked a heck of a lot better than most modern coaster stations do and new rides re-using old stations isn't 100% new as both Vortex and Maverick have done this to name a few. Alas, clearly that was not the case.

Also the demolition of the brake run, helix, and station pretty much confirm it: Vortex isn't getting "Rougarou'd" or RMC'd or whatever crazy theories some posters may have had. It's gone, and likely all of it. Whatever replaces it in the coming years (I still think 2023/2024, they are gonna give Orion a few years to breathe) is gonna be 100% new, even including a new station if it's a new coaster- they could even put another coaster in Rivertown technically using the old Vortex spot. Heck, you could even have a 2nd coaster entrance in the same plaza where right now there is just Beast (and a Haunt building).

Also, going from front-to-back (starting with the brake run, helix, batwing, etc.) and working back to the lift hill makes sense: this way they won't need to chop down any trees when the lift comes down, and can pull it down from that side. Thus Beast should still have plenty of trees to the left (from a rider's POV on Beast) at least after you exit the first tunnel. Granted I am gonna guess you will be able to see Orion's 200 foot turnaround up ahead come 2020 anyway, so that section of Beast will still be "different" this year.

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Question here - are we back to not confirming sources again. :huh:

You may recall several months ago, someone (we will call original poster) said that Sky High had the contract to build Orion and take down Vortex.

A second poster asks for a source.

Original poster basically said it is well known he has connections in the industry and doesn't need to post his source.

Moderator posts that members are not to question information shared by the Mod team or by well respected members of this forum.

Second poster questioned how is a member supposed to know who the well respected members are - is it based on "reputation score" the site assigns or is there a list somewhere?

Discussion died at that point.

So the question is are you one of the well respected members with industry connections that we are not to question your posts or are we not confirming sources again?

I don't think you can both be correct, so who is actually taking down Vortex? :P

I am the second poster here. Just to clarify, I was not the one who asked how to know whether someone is well-respected. Another user wrote that assuming that I was unaware who that user was. I knew the user was well-respected on here, but over the course of my own research I've found a fair number of claims he's made are false. That's why I asked who his source was in the first place.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I am the second poster here. Just to clarify, I was not the one who asked how to know whether someone is well-respected. Another user wrote that assuming that I was unaware who that user was. I knew the user was well-respected on here, but over the course of my own research I've found a fair number of claims he's made are false. That's why I challenged his source in the first place.

Modified original post to add clarity - by second poster I didn't specifically mean you - just that the same another person questioned the source too and that same another person then questioned how is a member supposed to know the difference between a well-respected with insider information or not...

46 minutes ago, McSalsa said:

Oh dang- I was hoping the station might get to stay, as it was used originally for the famous and now-defunct OG Bat, not to mention it was really nice architecture- it looked a heck of a lot better than most modern coaster stations do and new rides re-using old stations isn't 100% new as both Vortex and Maverick have done this to name a few. Alas, clearly that was not the case.

Also the demolition of the brake run, helix, and station pretty much confirm it: Vortex isn't getting "Rougarou'd" or RMC'd or whatever crazy theories some posters may have had. It's gone, and likely all of it. Whatever replaces it in the coming years (I still think 2023/2024, they are gonna give Orion a few years to breathe) is gonna be 100% new, even including a new station if it's a new coaster- they could even put another coaster in Rivertown technically using the old Vortex spot. Heck, you could even have a 2nd coaster entrance in the same plaza where right now there is just Beast (and a Haunt building).

Also, going from front-to-back (starting with the brake run, helix, batwing, etc.) and working back to the lift hill makes sense: this way they won't need to chop down any trees when the lift comes down, and can pull it down from that side. Thus Beast should still have plenty of trees to the left (from a rider's POV on Beast) at least after you exit the first tunnel. Granted I am gonna guess you will be able to see Orion's 200 foot turnaround up ahead come 2020 anyway, so that section of Beast will still be "different" this year.

I'd wager that throughput and modern fire safety standards made it a poor candidate for being used again. It's definitely upsetting that we lost the station for both a record breaking custom looper and the very first suspended coaster all at once, but I can see why they did it. It's just too outdated.

• Like 6