Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

Before we start another complaint fest, realize that the higher-ups at KI would probably love for us to see our beloved coaster getting dismantled, but for the purpose of limiting bad press should there be an accident, they cannot allow us to see it.

Unlike the Orion cam, this one makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

I don't have a problem with them turning off the camera for the liability concerns mentioned above. And really, I'm 40 years old and have a job and two kids -- I can't be staring at a webcam all day in hopes that I might, at the right minute, see a piece of roller coaster come down. 

But I do wish KI would see that there might be something to be gained by taking pictures or video of the demolition and posting them somewhere...Instagram...here? Demolition of a ride isn't sexy, especially when there isn't a replacement in the works. But it's the end of a historic ride. I seem to remember CP documenting the demolition of Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral, and there was video of SOB's main hill coming down. Feel like some sort of documentation about Vortex, especially its loops coming down, might be proper. 

• Like 4

Liability or just having the ability to control the flow of information. Though professionals can complete this type of task without issue, occasionally things do happen that are unpredictable. If a part of the demo doesn't go to plan it could garner media or spectator attention which could just slow the process. I would also wager they want to control the type of detail that is disseminated around social media as to prevent anything that could happen that is bad being the lead picture/video on Facebook for the next few months.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LovinMeSomeBanshee said:

What "liability concerns" could the park have about a webcam?  Please educate me.  Because it sounds like a massive load of BS to me.

The only thing I see a concern is false reporting by the GP, with how fast rumors spread on social media I’m sure they’re concerned mainly about people starting rumors that the entire park is being torn down, or other false rumors like they’re tearing it down because someone died or a major accident 

4 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I mean, we kinda know how the story ends at this point. That being said, I do wonder what they're going to do to make that land aesthetically pleasing if anything.

I’d venture to say they will do nothing. I hope I’m wrong but the park doesn’t seem to plant that many trees. All I’m hoping for is the trees near Vortex don’t get removed.

• Like 4

"Liability"? Are they having Intamin put in charge of the demolition?!

Sorry, but after all we have seen with them pulling these excuses with Diamondback, Banshee, and Mystic Timbers and now Orion it's just not flying anymore. Just be honest and tweet, "For the safety and sensitive work of the workers involved with the demolition of Vortex we have decided to pull the feed on this webcam until the work has completed. Thank you for your understanding"

I don't believe we or the GP will have any issue with that. How is this difficult KI?!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ben43065 said:

For such a beloved rollercoaster the least they could do is let us see its removal.

I respectfully disagree. I think the least they could do is inform everyone of its closing prior to the end of the season so that everyone can get in last rides. Which they did. And even that used to not be the norm in the amusement park world. "There are even exceptions to that these days," mused this longtime fan of Volcano: The Blast Coaster, Tomb Raider: The Ride, The Crypt at Kings Dominion, and Curse of DarKastle. Anything above and beyond a fair warning in advance of closing is wonderful and greatly appreciated, but I hesitate at agreeing that it's "the least they could do".

For whatever reason, parks seem hesitant to livestream deconstruction and testing. It's been a thing for years now that webcams quietly go down when testing starts on new coasters. To me, it makes sense that parks would be extremely hesitant to show those kinds of events, as amusement parks carry a stigma with the public as being unsafe. If something goes wrong during deconstruction or testing, it's going to come across as "the park is unsafe." You don't want to provide any evidence for that idea, because parks that are seen as unsafe don't have guests coming through the turnstiles. See also: Alton Towers after the Smiler crash, and especially after investigation revealed the park was to blame. There's a lot of emotion involved in tearing down a 30+ year old roller coaster, but at the end of the day, the park is a business, and they're going to do what they're going to do to keep money flowing in.

I understand that it's frustrating to not see Vortex's deconstruction (or Orion's lift hill topping, or any new coaster's initial test runs), but we're on the downhill side of the off season (not including Winterfest since it's not really coaster-riding season). In two months and some change, we're gonna be riding Orion and seeing what the park looks like without an Arrow looper in it. I hope it doesn't take that long to get a webcam back or a view of Vortex's deconstruction looks like, but if it is, it's not going to be the end of the world. And in comparison to how far we were from opening day 2020 at the end of Haunt 2019, these two months of waiting aren't that long.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Guess the best we can hope for now is for them to post photos as they go along.  I can't imagine it taking more than a week before the entire structure is leveled.  Still a bummer to see Vortex come down.  Not many custom Arrow loopers left in the world.

As for liability - I get it.  If something happened during the demo and it was caught on the camera it could create problems for the park ... it is what it is...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RandyV said:

Guess the best we can hope for now is for them to post photos as they go along.  I can't imagine it taking more than a week before the entire structure is leveled.  Still a bummer to see Vortex come down.  Not many custom Arrow loopers left in the world.

As for liability - I get it.  If something happened during the demo and it was caught on the camera it could create problems for the park ... it is what it is...

Vortex was definitely gonna be one of the first to go, seeing how large and intense it is. Eventually the only Arrow coasters we'll have will be mine trains, which I'm happy with I guess.

• Like 4

Sad how Cedar Fair is getting rid of history. Should have at least kept the station. I think it added so much more aesthetically to that area, too. Vortex and Bat were firsts of their kind as well and they have now gotten rid of all traces of both. Funny how they keep Corkscrew and Gemini open up north though. When they opened they were firsts as well. Hmmmmm..... 

• Like 3