Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

^I still have my fingers crossed that the park comes up with something to sell...they really don’t have to go all out like they did with the SOB plaque. I would be happy with a small piece of track packaged the same way the SOB bolt came, with just a simple certificate...that way there would be no big commitment on their part and no big overrun cost worries.

06F4B7DA-0098-40BB-A191-67A7C23B5DCE.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, standbyme said:

^I still have my fingers crossed that the park comes up with something to sell...they really don’t have to go all out like they did with the SOB plaque. I would be happy with a small piece of track packaged the same way the SOB bolt came, with just a simple certificate...that way there would be no big commitment on their part and no big overrun cost worries.

I too would like to get a piece of Vortex track with a plaque of some sort. I wonder where I’ll be able to get one though? If they decide to sell some. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TJ_Kirby18 said:

I wonder where I’ll be able to get one though? If they decide to sell some. 

For the SOB stuff it was announced on line, then sold by phone...but times have changed since then. If they do decide to sell items I hope they offer on line sales for those of us who don’t live near the park.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

COUGH COUGH (paging @Waltny) COUGH COUGH

Well, did a quick drive by this morning and everything is still in place.

After the Orion last piece debacle, truth is relative to the current moment of time and "pictures or it didnt happen" took on new meaning.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

Drove past the park today.  The lift hill, high turn, vertical loops, and iconic corkscrew were all still standing as you can see from KI Drive.  There is, however, a mysterious crane in the area that may be used for the demolition.  The end is near.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

The reason you can’t see anything from the ground is because they are starting demolition at the station. Trains are already at Carowinds for the Carolina Cyclone.

https://m.facebook.com/ridesmuseum/photos/pcb.1790965551037959/1790964381038076/?type=3&source=48&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

The reason you can’t see anything from the ground is because they are starting demolition at the station. Trains are already at Carowinds for the Carolina Cyclone.

https://m.facebook.com/ridesmuseum/photos/pcb.1790965551037959/1790964381038076/?type=3&source=48&refid=52&__tn__=EH-R

The station was already demolished though?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

Yes, you are correct according to the pictures leaked.
I’m not sure what The Dude’s angle is but he is not sharing anything we haven’t discuss here already. The Vortex trains(and Firehawk) pictures via Carowinds Only Fans is at least a week or two old at this point.  
We can probably expect the MCBR and corkscrews/loops to come down next if we follow the ride in reverse like station>transfer track>helix>bat wings.

• Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, KIguy2004 said:

I don’t think they took the whole station down. I believe the entrance and spire are still there. I think that they removed from where the que line crosses over the tracks from the spire forward.

On 1/31/2020 at 8:56 AM, standbyme said:

man what id do to snatch one of those SOB memoriablilia lol

Hope they do same for Vortex  

• Like 2

is the orange in that post the original shade of the track!?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone ever wonder what goes through the minds of the crew that tears down these historical structures? Like, I understand there are probably some who have zero feelings or thoughts about it since it’s just another job/pay check, but I can’t imagine there not being a single person feeling sad about tearing down so many memories. And very likely I’d imagine there has to be at least one member on the crew with their own memories of the ride.

That always crosses my mind any time these types of demolitions occur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Anyone ever wonder what goes through the minds of the crew that tears down these historical structures? Like, I understand there are probably some who have zero feelings or thoughts about it since it’s just another job/pay check, but I can’t imagine there not being a single person feeling sad about tearing down so many memories. And very likely I’d imagine there has to be at least one member on the crew with their own memories of the ride.

You pretty much answered your own question. They are seeing this as just another job/paycheck. I’m sure one of them is saying that they used to like the ride. But a majority of the crew are just seeing an old steel structure that has to go. Just like when Riverfront Stadium was demolished, I’m sure it might’ve been the same thing. Memories of Reds/Bengals games, but in the end it’s just an outdated building/structure.

• Like 1

You pretty much answered your own question. They are seeing this as just another job/paycheck. I’m sure one of them is saying that they used to like the ride. But a majority of the crew are just seeing an old steel structure that has to go. Just like when Riverfront Stadium was demolished, I’m sure it might’ve been the same thing. Memories of Reds/Bengals games, but in the end it’s just an outdated building/structure.

It wasn’t a question in regards to the crew so much as if other members on the forum have had a similar thought. So I did not answer my own question. I cannot answer for other forum members.

3 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

And very likely I’d imagine there has to be at least one member on the crew with their own memories of the ride.

I think you are right on the money. I can picture at least one of the workers thinking something like “Back when I was riding this, who would of guessed I’d be tearing it down”...I know I would. :(

• Like 2

9 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

Considering that is (was) the entrance and that tree was just to the midway side of the train shed part of the station, I'm gonna say the entire thing was downed at once.

Here’s a picture taken by me on the last weekend of operation for verification/comparison to the demolition photo above.  The entire station - including the spire is gone.

0D2F1EB6-E03D-4F8B-9D48-14D5396D0DA0.jpeg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

As a former Vortex crew member it made me really upset when I heard they were tearing it down.  The people I worked with on that crew were texting eachother and upset, so I can confirm there are a lot of people who care.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Waltny said:

Two photos for your consideration. The first one was taken last week, and the second about 30 mins ago. 

I report, you decide...

E3689C14-9508-49C7-BE88-2980B15143FC.jpeg

18C1608A-E17A-4D58-A907-8491F5FD216C.jpeg

Oh dear- IMO, it is kinda obvious what is gone. TIP: Look above Boo Blasters in both pictures.

With the 2 Corkscrews not visible from here in either picture, it is possible that 2nd loop is the last remaining inversion of Vortex still standing.

• Like 6