Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

It definitely looks like the first loop is gone. I tried the weatherbug camera. It worked and showed me the footage several times, then it suddenly went white. Now when I reload it, it shows the morning half of today’s footage, then it goes white. I have a feeling Kings Island May have said something to Weatherbug. One thing that does work however is to take a screenshot of the still image (which updates regularly it appears) and zoom in on Vortex. 

• Like 2

You sure thats the second loop? Look at the pics i posed. Doesn't like the same size of the first loop. This camera shot should be straight on? So they should look the same right? I might be wrong I am not sure. Sometimes looks like its the second loop and other times seems like the turn around into the corkscrews.

• Like 1

Did a drive by after my work call and the first loop(would have been the first one on the ride circuit) is the only thing that you can see that is clearly down . From other parts of the park and out in the drop off parking lot the first one would have looked taller . I’m not sure if we are going to have a clear lane on the corkscrews, but it was intertwined with the loops and we have to assume part or all of the corkscrew would be gone at this point. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Yeah I see that now in pictures. Maybe second loop is still alive.

14 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

Maybe second loop is still alive.

15 minutes ago, Maverick44 said:

second loop is still alive.

second loop alive.

alive.

WAIT!!!!!

WHEN WAS Vortex A LIVING CREATURE?????!!!!!

Hahahahaha!!! I have soooo many questions...

(just giving you a rough time:lol:)

7 minutes ago, Waltny said:

Did a drive by after my work call and the first loop(would have been the first one on the ride circuit) is the only thing that you can see that is clearly down . From other parts of the park and out in the drop off parking lot the first one would have looked taller . I’m not sure if we are going to have a clear lane on the corkscrews, but it was intertwined with the loops and we have to assume part or all of the corkscrew would be gone at this point. 

The corkscrew, or parts of it, may have had to come down first.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

WAIT!!!!!

WHEN WAS Vortex A LIVING CREATURE?????!!!!!

Hahahahaha!!! I have soooo many questions...

(just giving you a rough time:lol:)

I meannnnn the logo was a Robots arm.....so yeah it was alive. B)

Photo credit: CoasterFanatics ( Google).

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

The first loop was taller than the second one. Don't have the specific measurements for both, just something I knew.

If memory serves me, the 2 loops were 50 feet in diameter standing 72 and 62 feet tall.  The 2 corkscrews were 30 feet in diameter and 200 feet long.  The “boomerang turn” was a 2-inversion element 60 feet in diameter from its lowest to highest point.  

In some bleak hope of of being mislead by Kings Island PR, I think it has finally set in that there will be a large sum of emptiness in the back of the park this year.

Let’s hope now that whatever shall take it’s place be as equally or greater as an icon as Vortex. May it also bring us new memories  that are as good as that blue and orange steel Phoenix that rose from the ashes of The Bat.

Amen

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Shaggy said:

The 2 loops were 50 feet in diameter standing 72 and 62 feet tall.  The 2 corkscrews were 30 feet in diameter and 200 feet long.  The “boomerang turn” was a 2-inversion element 60 feet in diameter from its lowest to highest point.  

To be clear are they essentially the same size with the second 10 ft. lower? That was always my impression. It always looked as though the track dipped a bit going into the second loop. With Arrow's cookie cutter design this would make sense.

4 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

To be clear are they essentially the same size with the second 10 ft. lower? That was always my impression. It always looked as though the track dipped a bit going into the second loop. With Arrow's cookie cutter design this would make sense.

This photo kind of help shows it, the first hills enters de noticeably sits higher then the entrance into the 2nd loop.

9DE1EA75-2FF6-406D-B37E-AE080EF31796.jpeg

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Benjamin22 said:

This photo helps shows it, the yellow line is the height that the first loop starts at.

9DE1EA75-2FF6-406D-B37E-AE080EF31796.jpeg

Yeah that's what I always thought. My understanding is Arrow only developed a limited number of track pieces and simply reused them. I would guess that Viper at Magic Mountain would have the same size loops just higher up.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

As I understood, yes.

By the time Vortex was built, Arrow had "perfected" a number of elements.  So its layout was more or less just a collection of their standard inversions arranged in a unique layout.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, matt112986 said:

Yeah that's what I always thought. My understanding is Arrow only developed a limited number of track pieces and simply reused them. I would guess that Viper at Magic Mountain would have the same size loops just higher up.

According to Steve Okamoto of Arrow - "Our corkscrews and boomerangs are fairly standard items"... I assume he meant loops too.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

Kinda off topic but does anyone know which Arrow coaster was first to be designed using a computer? I'm thinking Drachen Fire but I may be wrong.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tennessee tornado I assume, I don’t believe Drachen Fire used cad considering how horrible that coaster was.

• Like 3

Tennessee tornado I assume, I don’t believe Drachen Fire used cad considering how horrible that coaster was.
I definitely knew about TT. Yes, Drachen Fire was rough but it didn't seem to have those traditional Arrow transitions. Plus they tried 3 new elements (firsts for Arrow) with a wraparound corkscrew, cobra roll, and cutback.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1