Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

11 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I know it's probably impossible but I have an old John Deer engine in the garage and I would love to turn one of the old cars into a go-kart for my son. I have had dreams about it since I learned of the removal. 

You could probably build a shell similar to the Arrow ones...

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Shawn Meyer said:

Also dumb question here, but will they take out the footers from Vortex too?

I hope they do take out the footers (Both Vortex’s & The Bat), they replaced some of the footers last off-season I believe but nonetheless I doubt they’d really serve any future purpose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The turnaround gets quite close to the midway, the LaRosa's and Arcade buildings, and the highest parts of the lift are close to Beast. Caution will be needed. Firehawk and SoB had more clearance around them to work with, so I imagine this is more "surgical" in nature.

• Like 5

Unless they cut down trees for the removal of Vortex, the turnaround and lift will take them longer because they will have do it in smaller sections. 

Firehawk and Son of Beast had large sections pulled over. Vortex likely had some section done like this but the turnaround and part of lift will likely be done with a crane and excavator with claw like attachment. 

Cutting down trees would add costs and likely be a separate (sub)contractor. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, RollerNut said:

Cutting down trees would add costs and likely be a separate (sub)contractor. 

A tree cutter subcontractor actually has been contracted (Cardinal Landscaping), wether or not they’re going to remove the trees around Vortex & Beast remains to be seen. I really hope Kings Island doesn’t make the decision to remove the trees. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

1. It's a joke.

2. I live 2 1/2 hours away, so no I can't.

I wish they would do something like they did for Firehawk with the demolition updates. It can't be that hard to do. This is the most secretive demolition I've seen in a long time. 

1 hour ago, Bdd127 said:

I wish they would do something like they did for Firehawk with the demolition updates. It can't be that hard to do. This is the most secretive demolition I've seen in a long time. 

To be fair, the park shared absolutely nothing when it comes to the Firehawk demolition. If I recall correctly, there was even an instance when a picture of Firehawk being demolished got leaked and the park warned people not to share it. The demolition company, O’Rourke Wreaking Company, shared updates and videos on their social media like they did when they demolished Son of Beast. In the case of Vortex, O’Rourke was probably told by the park not to share any updates.

• Like 1

The park wants people focused on the coaster they’re adding, not on the one they’re demolishing. Also, seeing Firehawk and Son of Beast demolition pictures made people excited for the future and asking what was next. There is nothing planned for The Vortex plot right now, so no reason to make people excited/interested. I’d love to see lots of photos of Vortex’s demolition for historical reasons, but I don’t think we’re going to get them until much later, if at all.

• Like 7

Right....

Hasn’t anyone learned you can’t trust what amusement park’s PR and Social Media says yet. 

While it could be true that there is no plans for The Vortex site, I highly doubt it. What the park means is they have no plans that are far enough along that they can announce them. 

Much like Volcano at KD, this wasn’t a last minute decision to remove a major attraction because they discovered a major problem. 

Planning for Copperhead Strike started in 2016 during planning for the 2017 County Fair expansion, Carowinds originally intended to expand the original County Fair in 2017 but plans changed when planning started for Copperhead Strike so they moved the 2017 expansion to the Carolina Cobra plaza. 

Hindsight is 20/20, parks change their plans sometimes at the last minute. If Kings Island follows the Fury 325/Thunder Road in 2015 and Copperhead Strike in 2019 timeline similar to Carowinds then y’all may be looking at Vortex closing 2019, Orion opening in 2020 and another coaster in 2022 but more likely in 2023. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RollerNut said:

Right....

While it could be true that there is no plans for The Vortex site, I highly doubt it. What the park means is they have no plans that are far enough along that they can announce them. 

I agree.

While it remains to be seen what will happen to the site, something WILL happen.  And although there may not be an actual firm "plan", there's likely at least ideas being tossed around.

As a former (P)KI official once told me "Areas of a park are viewed in terms of real estate.  If a parcel of land has a low-producing or aging attraction, we begin mulling the viability of using that land for a future installation - and then may choose to ready the site for a new attraction."

Fiscal planning and guest satisfaction surveys will likely help determine how quickly it happens.... but I guarantee you there's already an intent to use the space for something else they can market in the future. 

BTW, before "The Bat" was ever demolished, the park began looking at other options for the land.  At the time it was demolished, the park then sent David Focke on a trial expedition overseas to solicit and test new coaster possibilities.  Remember - this was happening at the very same time King Cobra was being added.  (KC opened in 1984 - that following November the park announced demolition of "The Bat".  Vortex opened in spring 1987.)  The park already knew they wanted a high-thrill coaster to take The Bat's place before they even began looking at specific manufacturers and types.  There were at least 3 different manufacturer proposals for the site - and ultimately KI chose to work with Arrow again in order to design and develop Vortex. 

I'm excited to see what the eventual outcome of Vortex's removal will be... but for now I'm more excited to take rides on Orion.   

In these insane social media days of "I want to be the first to know" or "I want to be the first to tell" the park isn't about to breathe a word of future intentions to anyone not directly involved. 

Whatever comes of The Vortex land vacancy, I selfishly don't want to hear about it via "leaked" blueprints.  That just spoils the fun and speculation for me - and just isn't a nice thing to do to the park. 

Shaggy

• Like 16

2 hours ago, Shaggy said:

I agree.

While it remains to be seen what will happen to the site, something WILL happen.  And although there may not be an actual firm "plan", there's likely at least ideas being tossed around.

As a former (P)KI official once told me "Areas of a park are viewed in terms of real estate.  If a parcel of land has a low-producing or aging attraction, we begin mulling the viability of using that land for a future installation - and then may choose to ready the site for a new attraction."

Fiscal planning and guest satisfaction surveys will likely help determine how quickly it happens.... but I guarantee you there's already an intent to use the space for something else they can market in the future. 

BTW, before "The Bat" was ever demolished, the park began looking at other options for the land.  At the time it was demolished, the park then sent David Focke on a trial expedition overseas to solicit and test new coaster possibilities.  Remember - this was happening at the very same time King Cobra was being added.  (KC opened in 1984 - that following November the park announced demolition of "The Bat".  Vortex opened in spring 1987.)  The park already knew they wanted a high-thrill coaster to take The Bat's place before they even began looking at specific manufacturers and types.  There were at least 3 different manufacturer proposals for the site - and ultimately KI chose to work with Arrow again in order to design and develop Vortex. 

I'm excited to see what the eventual outcome of Vortex's removal will be... but for now I'm more excited to take rides on Orion.   

In these insane social media days of "I want to be the first to know" or "I want to be the first to tell" the park isn't about to breathe a word of future intentions to anyone not directly involved. 

Whatever comes of The Vortex land vacancy, I selfishly don't want to hear about it via "leaked" blueprints.  That just spoils the fun and speculation for me - and just isn't a nice thing to do to the park. 

Shaggy

I'd love to know what the other 2 original proposals for Vortex's site were. I find that stuff very interesting. Just like how there were multiple proposals from different manufacturers to build magnum. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, silver2005 said:

I still run with my theory that CF already knows and has a list of which rides are near their end of service life and have several proposals with each one ready to go with in the event of removals.  

It is known that Cedar Fair a year or so ago asked each general manager at every park to nominate an attraction that they saw fit to be removed and replaced... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pkiridesmaint said:

It was either in their 2018 q4 or 2019 q1 conference call, I’m trying to find the source atm 

I don’t think that’s 100% accurate. I believe on the call they mentioned that they would consider removing old, unpopular, or high maintenance attractions as part of a cost cutting measure. The whole “GM nominates a ride to be removed” thing has gone no further than peoples’ speculation, at least as far as what has been said publicly.  Plus, wouldn’t there be a lot more “end of service life” closings since that call? We saw Dominion close Volcano (which I think would have closed no matter what) as well as the Crypt, which is for their new coaster. Valley fair or WOF (one of the two) closed an old flat ride. KI closed Vortex. Everything else in the past few years was removed directly in the line of sight of a new attraction. It just doesn’t add up...

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Bdd127 said:

I'd love to know what the other 2 original proposals for Vortex's site were. I find that stuff very interesting. Just like how there were multiple proposals from different manufacturers to build magnum. 

I know...  but I’ll keep that to myself for a later time.  Can’t give it all away at once, you know... lol 

• Like 4