Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

On 2/8/2020 at 7:58 PM, silver2005 said:

I still run with my theory that CF already knows and has a list of which rides are near their end of service life and have several proposals with each one ready to go with in the event of removals.  

Here is the deal with the park and planning. It would be a very bad business interest for the park to not be forwarding looking when it comes to planning.  Every single attraction has a life span, and the park has a pretty good idea what the lifespan is. Down to probably a 2-3 year timeline.  With Orion they expect X number of years before ridership drops below the acceptable maintenance cost.  They don't want a ride to cost more in upkeep then it brings in at the gate, this is a science. And part of that forward looking plan is to know what else you want in that space as that effects the math equation.  So publicly they are not saying they have any plans, but the park probably has a pretty good idea what they want to do with the space. It might be a new coaster and they just don't know the exact design yet, or maybe they want to expand the midway with some more flat rides. The public may not be told the plan, but the park wouldn't spend a penny tearing down a ride unless they knew what the next use for that space was.

I am a firm believer that Vortex reached the end of her useful life for the park and the park knew this was going to happen.  Same way people sell old cars and buy new when the cost of ownership of the old car is more then the cost of ownership on a new(er) car.  The park may not have known it was going to be 2019 back in 2015, but they knew it was on the horizon and would start planning for the next big thing. I am leaning towards an RMC in the space myself, but that is nothing but a slightly educated guess.

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Outdoor Man said:

what will be interesting is that "The Bat" is only six years "younger" than Vortex is was.  The track receives a lot more stress from the trains hanging instead of sitting.  My guess is that service life timeline conversation is nearing as well. 

Just curious as to how the track has more stress on it.  The track would receive the same stress on it I would think unless the trains weighed more. 

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Just curious as to how the track has more stress on it.  The track would receive the same stress on it I would think unless the trains weighed more. 

The trains likely weigh more, a lot of the supports are cantilevered and the cars swing back and forth.  That being said, the supports are of a different construction so it's not a one to one.  I also don't know the construction of the track it self is the same.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kingshaven said:

Not that I am 1 to stir the pot or call anyone out but I did comment on this saying "fake....clickbait" and for some reason the comment got deleted.  Wonder why lol.

How wrong was I to do such a thing

20200210_205758.png

This?

Comments may be deleted, but screenshots live forever. 

9AEA2C1C-4EED-41AF-92E5-FF8587ED9EEE.png

• Like 4

Just now, Klabergian Empire said:

Any new pictures of whats left of Vortex?

No, I’m in Charolette for work till  early Friday afternoon. So KI has 3 days to get this done without me documenting it. 
I must admit I’m hoping for bad weather to delay it for that reason. 

• Like 6