Vortex Removal Updates

pkiridesmaint

19 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

Oooh

htrjurydjdky.PNG

I also like to start unsubstantiated rumors due to vague references and this is my guess...

I think we will get the monster truck experience and it may happen in the now empty plot that Vortex was in.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, jimlaheyscar said:

Pretty sure I saw on a Cedar Point winter chill out video they had the panel and a brake from Vortex setup in one of the shops.  The guy on the video kept setting it off.  Staff said it was only running about 20% power and wouldn't be enough to stop a train at that moment.  I thought it was cool they set it up and let people play with it.

The brake is from Vortex but the panel was not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, ldiesman said:

I can not help, but to acknowledge the fact that 2022 is the parks 50th anniversary. Or not, they honestly didn't do much for CPs 150th as far as major rides are concerned.

I'm hoping for a ground up RMC roller coaster to take the footprint of Vortex. My guess is 2022 for the new roller coaster. I know Cedar Point and Knotts didn't get anything for their anniversaries, but here's the thing. Cedar Point is spending millions on new restaurants, the new brick midway, and just recently the new toll booths. So all three of those right there probably equal a roller coaster cost. I'm not sure what Knotts spent they're money on, but I'm sure it was park improvements too.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

But do you have a background source or anything that a fence is being built right now? Or is it just what you think is happening? 

Oldschool75 would fall under one of the members that we should not question their credibility and thus you shouldn't request him to name a source.... as posted from another thread :P....

On 10/29/2019 at 4:38 PM, IndyGuy4KI said:

One of things that needs to return on KIC is giving credibility to those that have earned it. Moderators and Admin should not be questioned about a source when giving a statement from the park. Members like @Shaggy who has been on KIC as long as it has existed and has proven his credibility should be trusted. I feel everyone on KIC can interpret who has earned credibility.

Also, throwing the TOS out there every 5 min does not give a welcoming tone for KIC. If you feel there is an issue with someones statement, examine the source and report it if it seems off.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Oldschool75 would fall under one of the members that we should not question their credibility and thus you shouldn't request him to name a source.... as posted from another thread :P....

Ok I understand. However, I won't fully believe there is a fence being built until I see a fence in The Vortex spot this season. However, I understand that if he's one of the members that has a high trust level, I'll respect that. 

• Like 1

May I ask why it matters so much?

Im not trying to ruffle feathers.  I just don’t understand why it’s a big deal whether a fence is added or not.

Historically the park has often erected a wooden fence to shroud areas from view of the public.  Sometimes for esthetic reasons, sometimes to mask what’s going on behind them.  

Just to name few - when KCKC was torn down, a wooden fence was added.  Same for King Cobra, Xtreme Raceway (I think it was called), Kings Mill Log Flume, Food stand in Rivertown (pre MT), Sunshine Turnpike, and most recently Firehawk (Probably more but all I can think of right off the top of my head.). Back in the day - during the original Run of Winterfest - entire areas of the park were masked by wooden fencing to deter guests from accessing closed sections (rear of Rivertown, Coney Mall, Wild Animal Habitat etc)

If I were to guess, Id expect them to put a wooden fence up along the midway from Rivertown to Coney Mall.  If nothing else, to hide a currently unattractive area of the park (not to mention build mystery.)  It would (or will) be a loooong fence to cover all that area - however.  My prediction is it’s probably shocking to see the large plot of land sitting empty.  It would make sense if they had to remove a lot of trees and foliage growth to demolish Vortex.  They likely destroyed a lot of the soil under Vortex with equipment.  That having been said, I would think they’d want to at least attempt to mask the vacancy and disturbance to the landscape.

If you’re concerned about being able to see the site - there’s always the view from the Tower.  But the park has been pretty clear that nothing immediate will be happening in its spot.  (Make no mistake, however, something IS going to go in that area.)

But bottom line - if they do or if they don’t, it’s not a big deal.  At least not as big a deal as many on here like to make things out to be from time to time.

Just sayin’

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think it is the new food stand!

You are correct.

There are lots of interesting things in that video. I knew the games booths down the middle of Coney Mall were going to be repainted, but it’s interesting that almost all the other Coney Mall buildings are being repainted as well.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KIghostguy said:

You are correct.

There are lots of interesting things in that video. I knew the games booths down the middle of Coney Mall were going to be repainted, but it’s interesting that almost all the other Coney Mall buildings are being repainted as well.

You're also able to see some of the trees around Vortex were removed while some were not. Also all the footers appear to have been removed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Shaggy said:

May I ask why it matters so much?

Im not trying to ruffle feathers.  I just don’t understand why it’s a big deal whether a fence is added or not.

Historically the park has often erected a wooden fence to shroud areas from view of the public.  Sometimes for esthetic reasons, sometimes to mask what’s going on behind them.  

Just to name few - when KCKC was torn down, a wooden fence was added.  Same for King Cobra, Xtreme Raceway (I think it was called), Kings Mill Log Flume, Food stand in Rivertown (pre MT), Sunshine Turnpike, and most recently Firehawk (Probably more but all I can think of right off the top of my head.). Back in the day - during the original Run of Winterfest - entire areas of the park were masked by wooden fencing to deter guests from accessing closed sections (rear of Rivertown, Coney Mall, Wild Animal Habitat etc)

If I were to guess, Id expect them to put a wooden fence up along the midway from Rivertown to Coney Mall.  If nothing else, to hide a currently unattractive area of the park (not to mention build mystery.)  It would (or will) be a loooong fence to cover all that area - however.  My prediction is it’s probably shocking to see the large plot of land sitting empty.  It would make sense if they had to remove a lot of trees and foliage growth to demolish Vortex.  They likely destroyed a lot of the soil under Vortex with equipment.  That having been said, I would think they’d want to at least attempt to mask the vacancy and disturbance to the landscape.

If you’re concerned about being able to see the site - there’s always the view from the Tower.  But the park has been pretty clear that nothing immediate will be happening in its spot.  (Make no mistake, however, something IS going to go in that area.)

But bottom line - if they do or if they don’t, it’s not a big deal.  At least not as big a deal as many on here like to make things out to be from time to time.

Just sayin’

To be honest, I'm hoping that they will build a big wooden fence next to The Beast's station. It deserves permanent privacy.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, collin.klopfstein said:

I cant post it on here but there is a new drone video of Kings Island, and wow, its weird without Vortex

Where do you find this? I am curious. If it’s not allowed. I understand. In that case. Disregard this. 

Edited by TJ_Kirby18
Don’t want controversy

The video is beautiful!  I do wonder (only as a philosophical aside, not to start an argument), I know the airspace over KI is fair-game, but this drone flew WAY under 300 feet.  Wouldn't Cedar Fair have some legal standing to complain if you flew THAT low with no permission?  I would think the FAA would have issue if you flew a drone with no permission THIS low.  The flashing lights on those towers are there for FAA regulations, so flying lower than that could be a problem. 

Also, I am assuming this video was done with permission since they watermarked it with their corp logo.

• Like 1

The video is beautiful!  I do wonder (only as a philosophical aside, not to start an argument), I know the airspace over KI is fair-game, but this drone flew WAY under 300 feet.  Wouldn't Cedar Fair have some legal standing to complain if you flew THAT low with no permission?  I would think the FAA would have issue if you flew a drone with no permission THIS low.  The flashing lights on those towers are there for FAA regulations, so flying lower than that could be a problem. 
Also, I am assuming this video was done with permission since they watermarked it with their corp logo.

It was not done with permission. So for those who continue to ask why the park doesn’t do offseason tours and exclusive events anymore. This video is your answer why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Oldschool75 said:

It was not done with permission. So for those who continue to ask why the park doesn’t do offseason tours and exclusive events anymore. This video is your answer why.

Well, watermarking the video seems a little cavalier, doesn't it?