Jump to content

Vortex Removal Updates


Recommended Posts

I wonder where those trains will go. It'd be neat if they put them on Corkscrew, as Corkscrew's current trains can be suuper cramped for some. Probably won't happen though.

 

 

 

(It would've been great to keep at least the front car of one of the trains in the park. Have it placed in a store or some good location so that people can get in it and take pictures, like the Gemini car in Cedar Point's museum.)

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 989
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's all over with now. All we have remaining are the memories. Farewell and Godspeed Vortex. (via WeatherBug)

Truth. I wouldn’t say I’ve enjoyed seeing this coaster go down, but there is a closure that comes with it for me. While I’m sure better angled and more dramatic pictures will emerge from within the pa

Can we quit with the whole “Kings Island owes us an explanation” B.S.? It’s starting to get annoying and making the rest of the coaster enthusiast community look like spoiled brats. Sheesh!     S

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, TheFloppyDisc said:

I believe the picture @freaks76 is talking about is this which I saw on reddit (u/mateo8165) and It was also on the Kings Island Season Pass Holders Facebook group.

o94hsn01v1341.jpg

 

I wonder if it would be legal to sit in one of the cars while riding down the highway. They do have restraints, no?

  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

That was a sad picture, but at the same time...

4 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I wonder if it would be legal to sit in one of the cars while riding down the highway. They do have restraints, no?

... that would be awesome! Like Top Thrill Dragster, but an Arrow! :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MDMC01 said:

That was a sad picture, but at the same time...

... that would be awesome! Like Top Thrill Dragster, but an Arrow! :lol:

If that was actually a thing I'm pretty sure the track and trains would just snap and you'd end up with a sever concussion/brain trauma :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, that wouldn't be fun lol

Also, I second the idea of moving those trains to Corkscrew at CP. However, since they appear to be going south, they may be giving Anaconda (or possibly Carolina Cyclone?) some support.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Oldschool75 said:

From what I was informed, one train is going to CP for Corkscrew, one to Carowinds for Carolina Cyclone, and one to CGA for Demon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess they are just using them for parts then? Interesting as they all use first gen trains. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost like organ donation...lol. Nice to see some of it live on. I wonder if they've ever thought about auctioning off pieces of the ride. Is that a thing? It'd be cool to have a 2-3' section of Vortex down in the basement for memory's sake. I think I could out-bid scrap prices to make it worth their time. Anyone else?

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Oldschool75 said:

From what I was informed, one train is going to CP for Corkscrew, one to Carowinds for Carolina Cyclone, and one to CGA for Demon.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can you source this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, bjcolglazier said:

It's almost like organ donation...lol. Nice to see some of it live on. I wonder if they've ever thought about auctioning off pieces of the ride. Is that a thing? It'd be cool to have a 2-3' section of Vortex down in the basement for memory's sake. I think I could out-bid scrap prices to make it worth their time. Anyone else?

I'd love to have a piece of track as a makeshift club for my car. Imagine beating some mugger into submission with The Vortex.

  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

I'd love to have a piece of track as a makeshift club for my car. Imagine beating some mugger into submission with The Vortex.

LOL. Well, that's one perspective on the whole auction idea I suppose. To each his own.  :-)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Which track piece(s) have they removed so far?

Though it would be sad for some, I feel like a reverse construction "map" (like what was done for Banshee's construction, highlighting which pieces and supports have been added) should be made for Vortex's demo showing which pieces have been removed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, MDMC01 said:

Which track piece(s) have they removed so far?

Though it would be sad for some, I feel like a reverse construction "map" (like what was done for Banshee's construction, highlighting which pieces and supports have been added) should be made for Vortex's demo showing which pieces have been removed.

Banshee took several months to build.  My guess is that Vortex isn't being dismantled piece by piece.  Demo will take a few days, maybe less...

 

And with any luck, since that land is apparently sinking- once the coaster falls to the ground it could get swallowed up and they wouldn't have to worry about hauling it away.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have two theories about why this part of the track was removed:

1.  This is normal to prevent any trains from being dispatched.  Yes, I know, I know.

2.  The remove track that connects to the station so when they start major demolition, it will not be connected to the station, which will not damage the station because it's staying.  One can hope, right?

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

It could also be as simple as them sending a piece of track to a museum before a certain date.

 

Or, since they removed the lift gear for reuse, it may have been easier to just cut off the rails at the bottom of the lift.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2019 at 9:31 PM, bjcolglazier said:

It's almost like organ donation...lol. Nice to see some of it live on. I wonder if they've ever thought about auctioning off pieces of the ride. Is that a thing? It'd be cool to have a 2-3' section of Vortex down in the basement for memory's sake. I think I could out-bid scrap prices to make it worth their time. Anyone else?

I wish Kings Island could auction off the front car of Vortex like Knotts did with Boomerangs front car.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

Banshee took several months to build.  My guess is that Vortex isn't being dismantled piece by piece.  Demo will take a few days, maybe less...

 

And with any luck, since that land is apparently sinking- once the coaster falls to the ground it could get swallowed up and they wouldn't have to worry about hauling it away.

I think it will take a bit longer than a few days. It's not as simple as bringing in a wrecking ball and going to town. They started taking down SoB sometime in August/September and I remember the lift hill didn't come down until the week of Thanksgiving. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KI FANATIC 37 said:

I think it will take a bit longer than a few days. It's not as simple as bringing in a wrecking ball and going to town. They started taking down SoB sometime in August/September and I remember the lift hill didn't come down until the week of Thanksgiving. 

Son of Beast was also in a significantly more accessible location without as much risk for collateral damage should demolition go wrong. (The Beast's station)

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...