Why are stations off the ground?

Most but not all stations are elevated so that you have to walk up and down a set of stairs to reach the station so I must ask, what is the point of this?

I just find it weird because not all rollercoasters are like this ( a few at Busch Gardens Tampa come to mind.)

Just curious if anyone has any insight on this?

5 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

A lot of it has to do with the mechanics of the ride.  Most often, the rides require electrical rooms for the control systems, as well as compressors to run all the brakes, and the pneumatic gates in the station.  These often end up being located below the station.

I would also imagine that it also has to do with the design of the ride. The lowest point on a coaster is the bottom of the lift hill, and the track from the station slopes to get there.

7 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

A lot of it has to do with the mechanics of the ride.  Most often, the rides require electrical rooms for the control systems, as well as compressors to run all the brakes, and the pneumatic gates in the station.  These often end up being located below the station.

I thought that when I was typing the post but some rides like thunderbird use the entire underneath portion for que. maybe there’s a portion of it that’s not used that I missed 

1 hour ago, Klabergian Empire said:

I would also imagine that it also has to do with the design of the ride. The lowest point on a coaster is the bottom of the lift hill, and the track from the station slopes to get there.

Definitely see that for older rides. Do the newer ones like Diamondback and Banshee really on drive wheels or gravity to get from station to lift?

• Like 1

Most newer B&Ms utilize drive tires in the load station to push the trains to the lift.  Some rides, like Fury 325, Gatekeeper and Banshee have gift shops under the stations, but they still have areas dedicated to the ride electrical equipment.

Even some rides the appear to be at grade have mechanical closets or buildings close by to house most of the electrical equipment and the plc.