Retheming of Back Lot Stunt Coaster

flightoffear1996

So I was on the way home from Thanksgiving dinner and during the drive I was thinking what Kings Island would overhaul Back Lot Stunt Coaster.  Here are my thoughts below.

New Name: Junkyard Coaster
The park would add junkyard fencing (sheet metal privacy fence) all the way around the ride.  Plant some climbing plants along the fencing to pretty the area up from the midway.  Could even put a small family flat ride in in some of the areas.  Now the theming for the ride they could go purchase a bunch of old cars and litter them throughout the ride area.  Maybe throw in some of the old Vortex track in there as well.  

Thought number 2

Name: Around the Town

The new theme would feature classic things you would see around Cincinnati.  You could setup some fake Skyline buildings, LaRosas.  and some Cincinnati Landmarks.   You could retheme the trains to ride in cheese coneys!  

• Like 3

Hey you stole my nickname for the Junkyard Coaster! If they wanted to retheme it to that, all they have to do is put a new sign up!

Seriously, I'd love a retheme. Remove the shipping containers, junked cars and rip rap. Lush landscaping and some water features, and it could be a thrilling version of Ohio Overland Auto Livery (with new fiberglass covers for the trains).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

The ride itself is kind of built around the theming it has. I really don't think you can expect to see CF change anything up too much. That being said, they could at least try and add more detail to the cars. I can understand not being able to make them look like Mini Coopers again, but that vague car-shaped blob design is no good.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ethancoaster said:

With its proximity to Rivertown, I would theme it to a mine train. I know the park has Adventure Express, but I think you could do a really neat coal mine theme. You don’t even have to remove the fire effects, theme it to dynamite going off like Firechaser Express.

My thoughts exactly.   Retheme it to a mine train.     Build a facade mountain around the helix with a waterfall.  Make it fit and truly be a centerpiece in the park instead of an eyesore    

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Hey you stole my nickname for the Junkyard Coaster! If they wanted to retheme it to that, all they have to do is put a new sign up! emoji1787.pngemoji1787.pngemoji1787.png

Amen! That’s what I was thinking...where’s the retheme?! :P
Personally I wish they would strip all the theming away and just landscape around it with trees and bushes. (I really wouldn’t care if they just removed it...none of my family usually bothers to ride it...but I never wish death on a ride just because I don’t care about it.)

• Like 1

^^ So you want it to stay where it is, but in pieces and with concrete and zero trees for as far as the eye can see? ;)

You know... I hadn't really thought of Backlot being themed to a mine train, but I actually really like that idea. It'd be like our own little version of Hong Kong Disneyland's Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. It could even be, like, a haunted mine train with lots of effects in the tunnel from the MCBR to the former splashdown.

Aaaaand now I'm gonna be daydreaming about this all afternoon.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, ohiocoasterfan said:

I would retheme it around the Reds and have them do that race through the city thing they show on the scoreboard with Gapper, Mr Red and Rosie Red. Would be a good nod to the hometown team!

And maybe theme the CW and KD to the blue jays and nats respectively 

• 2 months later...

Even though Back Lot Stunt Coaster is no where near a favorite coaster, at least we can be thankful we still have the fire effects. While it's nothing compared to what the theming used to be, we could always not have an effects, and have burnt out cop car lights, weeds and trees growing between the rocks. While something else would potentially look better in the plot of land, it serves it's purpose as a decent family coaster. At least our version is still the best kept out of the rest of the chain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoasterJack said:

Even though Back Lot Stunt Coaster is no where near a favorite coaster, at least we can be thankful we still have the fire effects. While it's nothing compared to what the theming used to be, we could always not have an effects, and have burnt out cop car lights, weeds and trees growing between the rocks. While something else would potentially look better in the plot of land, it serves it's purpose as a decent family coaster. At least our version is still the best kept out of the rest of the chain.

Rode Wonderland's this past summer. Yikes. 

• Like 1

On 12/5/2019 at 12:20 PM, TombRaiderFTW said:

^^ So you want it to stay where it is, but in pieces and with concrete and zero trees for as far as the eye can see? ;)

You know... I hadn't really thought of Backlot being themed to a mine train, but I actually really like that idea. It'd be like our own little version of Hong Kong Disneyland's Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars. It could even be, like, a haunted mine train with lots of effects in the tunnel from the MCBR to the former splashdown.

Aaaaand now I'm gonna be daydreaming about this all afternoon.

Does the 11th Commandment allow for wannabes? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, DeltaFlyer said:

Rode Wonderland's this past summer. Yikes. 

I did as well. The one thing I wish KI would bring back is the water in the pool after the jump out of the Billboard, but I can't complain since it's the only one that still has all the rest of the theming

14 hours ago, CoasterJack said:

Backlot is probably my number 6 in the park. I found the launch to be very forceful and the helix is very intense. I'm not saying it is the best coaster in the park or in the top 3 by any means, but it needs a little respect for what it is.

8 minutes ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

Backlot is probably my number 6 in the park. I found the launch to be very forceful and the helix is very intense. I'm not saying it is the best coaster in the park or in the top 3 by any means, but it needs a little respect for what it is.

Definitely Agree,  Backlot and Adventure Express serve as great family coasters for those looking to move out of Planet Snoopy. Also the flame effect is always nice for the Haunt Fog. But I also agree that having the water effect return would be really nice. I know all the water effects and barrels were turn off on the second brake run, but does anyone know why they removed the final water splash or the on-ride audio system. Was there a water problem for the splash down or couldn't they have just made generic car noises and action music after the loss of the licensing?

• Like 2

I've always had a soft spot for the ride. It debuted right around the time I had begun transitioning from then-HBL/Nick Central towards the other areas of the park. My 7-10 year old self thought of it as the "coolest thing". It probably helped that the 2003 Italian Job was one of the first (and still one of my favorite) 'true' action movies I had seen as a kid.

This, however, also would explain why I've historically been much more favorable of the ride, when to compared to the opinions of other members.

I also have little recollection of experiencing Coney Mall/Rivertown with the original Les Taxis/Eagles inhabiting that area, as opposed to the (admittedly unsightly) ride that is there now. From my persepctive, the coaster has always been there. So I guess thats why I don't seem to be bothered by the appearance as much.

For the record, yes, I know. The aesthetics are bad, the placement sucks, should have gone in AZ etc, Taxis/Eagles should not have been removed etc.

I agree with alll those arguments. The argument/sentiment I DON'T agree with is that it should be removed prematurely (before the end of its natural service life) simply because of it looking bad. I realize there's an irony in this in that the justification given for removal of Taxis/Eagles was that Mr. Fisher thought those looked bad.

But two wrongs don't make a right! :)

Backlot is a fun little ride, still one of my favorites, and I hope to enjoy it for as we long as we still can. I suppose I'm in the minority in that I hope it stays quite a bit longer.

Or at least, consider this for a second...

For years, decades even, its been said if there's one ride that Cedar Point is really missing, its a really good, modern, family coaster. Meanwhile, we already HAVE that perfectly good family coaster, and yet you hear countless clamors for its removal! What a world...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BeastForever said:

I agree with alll those arguments. The argument/sentiment I DON'T agree with is that it should be removed prematurely (before the end of its natural service life) simply because of it looking bad. 

I agree. I don't ride it often, but it's a fun ride and the younger crowds seem to love it. It doesn't make sense to remove it based purely on taste. Also, it's a family-friendly coaster and the park could use more of those, not less. 

I wouldn't mind a new theme, but I also think could utilize more of the land behind it and it might not stick out so much. 

• Like 1

I'd love a more old-timey theme to fit the area. But the ride itself is really not bad at all. It's just a little weird because it's not a super-intense thrill ride, but not a kiddie ride either. Its innocent look betrays its speed and force. 

I personally love Backlot! It’s an awesome, reliable, and reasonably high capacity family coaster. I think the addition of some more fences and foliage would help hide the backside of the coaster from the midways. Other than that, I don’t think the park should invest in a retheme — there are several other rides that are in much more need of thematic help.

Just for conversation, what other rides would you re-theme first?

36 minutes ago, 139Signal27 said:

I personally love Backlot! It’s an awesome, reliable, and reasonably high capacity family coaster. I think the addition of some more fences and foliage would help hide the backside of the coaster from the midways. Other than that, I don’t think the park should invest in a retheme — there are several other rides that are in much more need of thematic help.

I wouldn’t necessarily retheme an entire coaster, but I would invest in upgrades to current themes. Adventure Express is obviously in need of dramatic thematic renovations. A number of coasters, like Racer and Diamondback, need a fresh coat of paint. I would also like to see queues and midway across the park have a higher level of immersion. Personally, I think capital spent on retheming Backlot could go a lot farther spread out around the park.

Don’t even get me started on Soak City!

• Like 2