Action Zone retheme

dropdasher

I worked on something for the past few days that I thought would entertain you guys. I’m proposing a complete retheme and consolidation of Action Zone into Ocktoberfest. It would add a new plaza about where Timberwolf theatre stands now and would make a new Bat (renamed. Look below) que. This would make it so the hike isn’t as long and it starts where the cut in from the exit is. 
To fit the theme, I decided to rename and retheme a couple attractions. First, Invertigo got changed to Umkehrenflug, which roughly translates to Reverse Flight. Congo Falls got renamed Rhine River Rapids, Bat got switched to Black Forest Monster (very fitting for location) Drop Tower was changed to Alpendrop, and Coaster Connection was given a name change to Coaster Haus. I could also see some new theming added to the que of Banshee and more scenery on AE. I know this will probably never happen, but what do you guys think?  I will add the logos and Google maps of what I’m thinking. I will put in the maps tomorrow. What changes would you make and would you think this would benefit the park?  Just note that with professional logo making they will be a lot better than the trash I made

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Nice one Ryan. Those logos are super cool. My favorite one is black forest monster. Maybe you should put a eurofighter or an infinity in the place of Invertigo, like one of those infinity shuttle coasters and give it the new name you gave Invertigo. I am going to make a design of a coaster that could take it's place and post it on here.

• Like 2

I'm in. Going to take some time and tree growth to shape into the shady charm of the existing area but this is a great start. In addition to re-themes of existing rides, I'd love some more flats (esp. a screaming swing) and more shady comfortable spaces to chill and have food and beer. That whole tented area could be a semi-enclosed bier garden with a mini-bandstand. There'd need to be cream puffs as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandsUp said:

I'm in. Going to take some time and tree growth to shape into the shady charm of the existing area but this is a great start. In addition to re-themes of existing rides, I'd love some more flats (esp. a screaming swing) and more shady comfortable spaces to chill and have food and beer. That whole tented area could be a semi-enclosed bier garden with a mini-bandstand. There'd need to be cream puffs as well.

I made a little part for future expansion of flat rides. KI needs so many flat rides I couldn’t decide. A rotor and space commander throwback would be sweet 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

With the passing of Vortex, I don't think it can really be argued that Coney Mall needs the most love right now. The Racer is pretty much the biggest attraction now.

Matter of opinion but I will argue that.  CM just got the Antique Cars last year and a new food shack the year before.  I consider Area 72 a suburb of CM and it is getting a Giga.  

I guess if you consider Vortex a major loss I see your point, but for many it was hated or just meh at best.  Something will go there eventually.  

AZ on the other hand doesn’t even have a dedicated drink stand and no discernible identity. It’s just an expanse of concrete with some good and some mediocre attractions.  What does Action Zone mean anyway post-Paramount?

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

Matter of opinion but I will argue that.  CM just got the Antique Cars last year and a new food shack the year before.  I consider Area 72 a suburb of CM and it is getting a Giga.  

I guess if you consider Vortex a major loss I see your point, but for many it was hated or just meh at best.  Something will go there eventually.  

AZ on the other hand doesn’t even have a dedicated drink stand and no discernible identity. It’s just an expanse of concrete with some good and some mediocre attractions.  What does Action Zone mean anyway post-Paramount?

Losing Son of Beast was probably the final blow to Action Zone. It wouldn't be until Banshee that the area started to recover with a new look entirely.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I was driving by the park yesterday and got a good look at Orion. Then I noticed something was missing; and no it wasn't Vortex.

When I looked at Action Zone, I felt like it was missing something. I think its because Invertigo and Congo Falls stick out so much as sore thumbs amongst other neighboring attractions that it makes you want something big. 

I've been preaching that if we got a dive coaster it should replace Invertigo and Congo Falls which would complete Action Zone- imo.

I always considered Action Zone kinda split: you have the updated AZ with Banshee, Delirium, Skyflyer and The Bat, then you have the "older" half with Drop Tower, Intertigo, and Drop Tower. 

I'd love to see a new, taller, coaster added to that section to carry on the spooky theme and I think a dive would be perfect for that location to complement Banshee.

• Like 3

On 12/9/2019 at 11:10 PM, Benjamin22 said:

I’ve always felt it’d be cool to just theme it to haunted/spooky area and call it Haunted Hollow. However I’d also be excited expanding Oktoberfest into Action Zone. But the area definitely needs a retheme of some sort.

Banshee would be a problem, as Banshees are Celtic lore, but I like the idea anyway. Just call the new area the Oktoberfest Black Forest, in homage to the old restaurant of the same name.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I was driving by the park yesterday and got a good look at Orion. Then I noticed something was missing; and no it wasn't Vortex.

When I looked at Action Zone, I felt like it was missing something. I think its because Invertigo and Congo Falls stick out so much as sore thumbs amongst other neighboring attractions that it makes you want something big. 

I've been preaching that if we got a dive coaster it should replace Invertigo and Congo Falls which would complete Action Zone- imo.

I always considered Action Zone kinda split: you have the updated AZ with Banshee, Delirium, Skyflyer and The Bat, then you have the "older" half with Drop Tower, Intertigo, and Drop Tower. 

I'd love to see a new, taller, coaster added to that section to carry on the spooky theme and I think a dive would be perfect for that location to complement Banshee.

Just now, foze.bear said:

Banshee would be a problem, as Banshees are Celtic lore, but I like the idea anyway. Just call the new area the Oktoberfest Black Forest, in homage to the old restaurant of the same name.  

I agree if we get a dive coaster it should replace Invertigo/ Congo falls. But please relocate Congo Falls to Rivertown. It really is a nice ride in the summer months and it can help manage the crowds from WWC and RFYLCB. And I do believe having AZ annexed by Oktoberfest is a good idea. But have a small portion (Banshee, The Bat, Delerium) a sub-zone called The Black Forest. 

@foze.bear Are you referring to The Black Forest that was on Rt. 42 in Pisgah?

37 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

The Black Forest that was on Rt. 42 in Pisgah?

I haven't lived in West Chester/Pisgah since 1990, but yes, I think that is where it was.  Really close to Mason, probably less than 15 miles.

37 minutes ago, Klabergian Empire said:

But please relocate Congo Falls to Rivertown

As I have pointed out before, Congo is also basically the same equipment as the old Jurassic Park ride at Universal Fla, just with more than a lift hill followed by a drop.  Bush Gardens had one as a large dark ride.  Seems to me like they dropped the ball on Congo.

42 minutes ago, foze.bear said:

I haven't lived in West Chester/Pisgah since 1990, but yes, I think that is where it was.  Really close to Mason, probably less than 15 miles.

Major oof. The Black Forest sadly closed back in....definitely after 2005 but definitely before 2010. I am still sad thinking about it. It was such a fun place to hang out and I will always miss it.  

I've thought about this for a while so here's my two cents:

I quite like the idea of turning Action Zone into Oktoberfest, as that area doesn't really exist anymore. I've also seen a few people suggest turning AZ into somewhat of a "Monster" themed area, so I'll build off of that a bit.

I'd keep the name Bat, however I'd update it a bit. Although I appreciate KI's idea to update Flight Deck to The Bat, in doing so they really gutted out everything from the queue line and station. To update Bat, I think it would be pretty neat to add loose theming to the line such as props, fog, and sound effects. The tunnel could be transformed into a small cave with lights acting as bat eyes peering down at guests. The station could also be updated to a cave, with the queue line under the exit path turning into a tunnel until you reach inside the station.

Along with renaming the flat rides, updating AZ's to be more green would also be nice. More trees and foliage would make all the difference to change it from the generic Cedar Fair concrete area to a nice looking themed area.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

Unless they bring back the theming like it had in the early 90s.

*uncracks knuckles nonthreateningly*

But not if they try to modernize it with screens, unless done well.

*reaches over and recracks your knuckles, but, like, while scowling*

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arrow said:

To update Bat, I think it would be pretty neat to add loose theming to the line such as props, fog, and sound effects. The tunnel could be transformed into a small cave with lights acting as bat eyes peering down at guests. The station could also be updated to a cave, with the queue line under the exit path turning into a tunnel until you reach inside the station.

I had a similar idea. I would add cornstalks and farm props for the grassy area to the left of the path and give it an abandoned farm vibe

Unfortunately, I don't think this would ever happen as repainting the track and the trains was the extent of them updating the nearly 30 year old attraction

• Like 1