Colossos at Kings Island (?)

Klabergian Empire

Here is a concept:

What if Kings Island was planning to install a new wooden coaster. Its not like Steel Vengance or Mystic Timbers. It's a classic out-and-back woodie with a slight modern twist. I personally would LOVE to see something like Colossos come to Kings Island. I would ride that in a heart beat.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ThrillKingsFitzy said:

I would LOVE that! They would add more to the record! Especially one like a prefab or one of those hybrid gcis. But too bad Intamin isn't making pre-fabs anymore.

Intamin is willing to build them still, the model is listed on their website and in marketing information.  But no one is willing to buy one, the problem is that the existing rides cost too much money to maintain.  The very ride people are praising was almost scrapped back in I think it was 2016, before the park decided to spend the money to re-track the entire ride at a cost of more then 12 million Euros, which is crazy for a coaster which only opened in 2001.

• Like 1

I like it; imagine the airtime! Also, that downward curve followed by the upward curve (following the first set of hills) reminds me of something I made on Roller Coaster Tycoon once.

EDIT: Also, that turn at the end before the brakes reminds me of Millennium Force's last overbank.

• Like 1

the coaster looks liek a lot of fun but not sure it would really add a lot to the park honestly. We already have a standard family woodie with Woodstock Express, a classic out and back (similar to this) with the hills with Racer, a unique layout that is a legendary classic with Beast, and a modern woodie with Mystic Timbers. My top choice for the next wooden coaster would be a hybrid to get something more different fro what we currently have.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
On 12/10/2019 at 3:55 PM, Kenban said:

Intamin is willing to build them still, the model is listed on their website and in marketing information.  But no one is willing to buy one, the problem is that the existing rides cost too much money to maintain.  The very ride people are praising was almost scrapped back in I think it was 2016, before the park decided to spend the money to re-track the entire ride at a cost of more then 12 million Euros, which is crazy for a coaster which only opened in 2001.

The park did not take care of the ride.  The structure was not touched, the track was replaced.  Pre-fabs still do require some maintenance but not to the level of a traditional Woodie.

On 12/14/2019 at 4:34 PM, purdude86 said:

the coaster looks liek a lot of fun but not sure it would really add a lot to the park honestly. We already have a standard family woodie with Woodstock Express, a classic out and back (similar to this) with the hills with Racer, a unique layout that is a legendary classic with Beast, and a modern woodie with Mystic Timbers. My top choice for the next wooden coaster would be a hybrid to get something more different fro what we currently have.

So you think the first half of El Toro is basically the same as Racer?

I don't think Cedar Fair is in a position where they'd want to install an El Toro type ride at their parks. To be honest I think they're content with GCI as their go-to wooden manufacturer. I've heard Intamin woodies are costly to maintain; you can also throw Gravity Group in there as well

The only wooden coaster I'd want, and yes I consider it a wooden coaster, is something modern like Wildfire in Sweden. There's still Son of Beast track left standing and that area beyond Banshee has some nice terrain...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't think Cedar Fair is in a position where they'd want to install an El Toro type ride at their parks. To be honest I think they're content with GCI as their go-to wooden manufacturer. I've heard Intamin woodies are costly to maintain; you can also throw Gravity Group in there as well

The only wooden coaster I'd want, and yes I consider it a wooden coaster, is something modern like Wildfire in Sweden. There's still Son of Beast track left standing and that area beyond Banshee has some nice terrain...

Like I said earlier, just have GCI design a replica of it.

And that Swedish RMC does look kinda nice... But I prefer a classic layout over any hybrid.

• Like 2

Having ridden El Toro and a few GCI's, I give the forces nod to GCI's.  El Toro does have some good airtime, but GCI's have much more of an out of control feeling due to the fact the track keeps changing and they do the whole elements within elements designs.  I like all the GCI's I've ridden over El Toro.  Also, IMO, El Toro isn't aging particularly well, especially in the s-curve section.  

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I don't think Cedar Fair is in a position where they'd want to install an El Toro type ride at their parks.

That looks sick! And I mean that as in wicked fun! Cedar Fair could always try something like an Intamin pre-fabricated ride at Michigan's Adventure and see how well it does there. I've heard Wolverine there isn't that good. Maybe they could replace it with an Intamin pre-fabricated woody. Just a thought.

• Like 1

I got this video in my Youtube feed a while back. It explains a lot about these Intamin prefabs, and also explains likely reasons parks have not bought any new ones since T Express in 2008:

My big takeaway from this video: HOLY COW EL TORO WOULD COST $35,000,000 ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION!?!? (This is more than B&M Giga Coasters!) Err, as much as I would LOVE to see a 200+ foot version of one of these at Kings Island, a ground-up RMC Topper Track/I-Box would probably be much cheaper and achieve similar results. Wildfire, a RMC Topper Track woodie around the same height and length as El Toro, cost around $12 million when converted to USD and adjusted for inflation. Considering Wildfire is also considered one of the best "wooden" coasters ever built, it seems like the RMC is a much better value for money as you could get almost THREE Wildfires for the price of a single El Toro!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, McSalsa said:

I got this video in my Youtube feed a while back. It explains a lot about these Intamin prefabs, and also explains likely reasons parks have not bought any new ones since T Express in 2008:

My big takeaway from this video: HOLY COW EL TORO WOULD COST $35,000,000 ADJUSTED FOR INFLATION!?!? (This is more than B&M Giga Coasters!) Err, as much as I would LOVE to see a 200+ foot version of one of these at Kings Island, a ground-up RMC Topper Track/I-Box would probably be much cheaper and achieve similar results. Wildfire, a RMC Topper Track woodie around the same height and length as El Toro, cost around $12 million when converted to USD and adjusted for inflation. Considering Wildfire is also considered one of the best "wooden" coasters ever built, it seems like the RMC is a much better value for money as you could get almost THREE Wildfires for the price of a single El Toro!

Rmcs have quantity of airtime but does not have the quality of a pre fab.

• Like 1