Locals concerned that Kings Island is violating noise ordinances

BoddaH1994

Sounds like the typical we moved here naively and now want to complain about it. Even though it's been here 40+years. You bought your house next to a theme park what do you expect..

It's like the developments they move beside campground and farms knowing what they are then complaining about the smoke or flies or poo smell....  Sometimes succeeding in kicking them out with rezoning etc. Not going to happen to ki but could affect hours though.

• Like 1

The ole NIMBY syndrome (Not In My Back Yard)...

In all likelihood the homes came after the park was there...but there will be some surrounding homes that could have long-time residents that were there prior to the park.

Interesting the article says allegedly runs past 1am...that is a fact on nights park is open until 1am LOL

Wonder if KI could annex themselves out of Mason and then stick it to the residents when their taxes go up to make up for the loss of revenue KI brings Mason...

Contrast that to Glendale Ohio where the railroad has been there since 1851 and residents recently got passed a Quiet Zone where the trains cannot blow their horn approaching roadway intersections...clearly nobody is still alive from when that rail was installed in 1851 so people moved in knowing about the trains... 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

The ole NIMBY syndrome (Not In My Back Yard)...

In all likelihood the homes came after the park was there...but there will be some surrounding homes that could have long-time residents that were there prior to the park.

Interesting the article says allegedly runs past 1am...that is a fact on nights park is open until 1am LOL

Wonder if KI could annex themselves out of Mason and then stick it to the residents when their taxes go up to make up for the loss of revenue KI brings Mason...

Contrast that to Glendale Ohio where the railroad has been there since 1851 and residents recently got passed a Quiet Zone where the trains cannot blow their horn approaching roadway intersections...clearly nobody is still alive from when that rail was installed in 1851 so people moved in knowing about the trains... 

They should have left Mason when they tried to impose an admissions tax about 10 years ago. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I would politely reply, "maybe you should have thought about this before moving so close to the park. If it such a bother, we are sure there are other houses not so close to the park for sale you can purchase."

Gotta remember though, it's the favorite pastime of people to buy cheap land next to a loud thing like an amusement park or airport, and then file noise complains.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gforce1994 said:

I’ve worked internships in Mason across the highway, and you can not hear anything from the park. I’m curious about the noise ordinance, because it all depends on where and how far out you take your samples.

It's probably the fireworks, that's all I can imagine since I figure the trees surrounding the park would absorb the rest of the sound.

Maybe KI could pay to upgrade the insulation of that nearby house built before 1972. Those building houses later should have taken the amusement park into consideration.

In a B-4 Commercial Recreation zoning district (as Mason designates Kings Island), the current Mason noise ordinance specifies a maximum "continuous" sound level from a fixed source of 65 dBA from 10pm-7am as measured from the property line (which extends to the river). This would be about as loud as a normal conversation. It's not clear how this would apply to a coaster train dispatching every 2 minutes, or how WKRC measured the sound levels.

noise.jpg

• Thanks 2

The tunnel on Mystic Timbers was added as noise abatement. Diamondback supposedly was shut down early for Coasterstock ERT because of noise concerns. If this is about noise concerns, it probably is the late Haunt closes. If I didn't like farm life, I'd trade the guy who lives in the 1962 house in a heartbeat! ,

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

Noise seems to carry in the summer nights for some reason. These buffoons need to turn on their air conditioners/fan to help drown out the noise. I don't know how many times I've stayed at hotels near the railroad tracks by Rte 6 in Sandusky by Cedar Point and all we do is leave the air conditioner on to help drown out the noise of the train going by and it works for us. If they don't like it sell and move out.

1 minute ago, firstnline said:

Noise seems to carry in the summer nights for some reason. These buffoons need to turn on their air conditioners/fan to help drown out the noise. I don't know how many times I've stayed at hotels near the railroad tracks by Rte 6 in Sandusky by Cedar Point and all we do is leave the air conditioner on to help drown out the noise of the train going by and it works for us. If they don't like it sell and move out.

Funny thing about noise. If I stay at the Super 8 I get really bad freeway noise if they put me in a room on the left side. Do I complain? No. I know what I'm getting when I stay there and there is good reason that place is only $50 a night.

• Like 2

Clearly, the city`s position is they are not going to rewrite their sound ordinance.  The fact that the one resident testified at the council meeting suggesting what will they build next?  Orion is on the opposite side of the park from Diamondback.  Nothing has changed operationally (in terms of park hours), other than the fact that they now have Winterfest in late November/ December.  

As Malem pointed out, the house built in 1961 likely has minimal insulation in it, which leads to more sound transmission into the house.  Insulation by its very nature is used for thermal properties as well as noise deadening.  

I am sure the park will try to be good neighbors to these folks, but the fact that these people are wanting the park to not build rides simply because of noise is a little bit of an over reach.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SnakePlissken said:

You only need to read the headline in the link given. I doubt it is clickbait so reading the article won't change anything or fix anything.

I think it might do you some good to actually read the article haha. One person interviewed for this article state that their home was built and has lived in it prior to Kings Island opening. To me, I think it’s fair for anyone that lived there before KI opened to complain about noise. Anyone else, no. 

• Like 3

It would be nice to see the breakdown in property, school, employee income taxes paid for by KI & employees.

While I cannot completely disagree with those who had homes in the area prior to 1970 or those who have purchased homes before the inception of Fear Feast/ Halloween Haunt, if those same locals could see the financial benefit (aka- $$ they have not been or currently responsible for due to the park incurring those costs) it may change their perception.

But on the other hand- I have many friends/ family that are near airports/ train tracks.  When visiting I have made the comment that I could not deal with the noise.  Their response was the same- we are so used to the noise, it's hardly noticed anymore.

• Like 3