Locals concerned that Kings Island is violating noise ordinances

BoddaH1994

I think this will shake out eventually.  The 1961 people...they have lived there for over 50 years.  They and others should have the most consideration, maybe insulation as mentioned earlier and some tree planting in the buffer zones.  The McMansions and subdivisions that have popped up since 1972, those people and the people who have bought since should have done their homework.  

CGA had to go through some pretty rigorous neighborhood opposition to get variances granted.  CF has since invested heavily into this park, so I would imagine CF will do the same with KI.  Be a good neighbor, but continue to invest.  @Hawaiian Coasters 325, I doubt KI is going anywhere soon.  It is a cash cow.  Now if some investor came in waiving a huge amount of cash....

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

WHAT?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Multi-pane windows also make a huge difference over older single panes.

My uncle always said the trick to holding big parties was to invite all the neighbors.  How many houses are really being impacted? 20-30?  Seriously, set them up with season passes and FL+ for life.  The impact on operations would be negligible and the issue would go away. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The tunnel on Mystic Timbers was added as noise abatement. 

It does seem convenient that the article failed to mention things like this where the park has clearly made effort.  I believe it was Adam House of GCI who said they reached out to local residents regarding Mystic Timbers design.

• Like 2

They have built developments Close to The Beast and directly  across the River from KI.  They have no right to complain.    If you didn’t want to live near an amusement park you should not have built a house there! 

This may be why we got such a crappy design for Orion instead of using the valley   

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Orion is going in the opposite corner of the park than Diamondback. It's no wonder Mike Koontz doesn't really want to talk to them--it's a complete non-story.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Wow the author apparently doesn't understand you can't really add sand after the fact... If it's too be done it will have been put in as it was produced in each individual section.  

And I don't buy it. I've lived near theme parks with multiple fireworks shows nightly from different parks after a couple nights your body adjusts and you actually have to listen if you want to hear it afterwards.  Same with trains, traffic, planes it becomes white noise.

These people have caught the "you're making big bucks so I need some of it because I'm feigning inconvenience" Bug. 

Edit: I suppose you can drill holes and add after the fact but would that change weight and possibly affect the engineering of it?

• Like 1

If you have a large tract of land and you sell part of it it to a company planning to build an amusement park and you plan to live on the part out didn't sell, well that is your own doing...  Either sell the whole property and move or be glad you found a willing buying when you wanted to sell...

• Like 1

Property values for homes right around the park are quite high. I know Warren County has a lot going on, but no way they would be that high if you removed the park influence over the past 40+ years. It's a trade-off. If it's too noisy now, sell, and find a quiet place to call home.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LuckyluvsKI said:

And I don't buy it. I've lived near theme parks with multiple fireworks shows nightly from different parks after a couple nights your body adjusts and you actually have to listen if you want to hear it afterwards.  Same with trains, traffic, planes it becomes white noise.

No.  No it doesn’t.  

I have no sympathy for Mr. Taylor.  His grandfather sold land for the park and could have negotiated for noise considerations.  Concerns about noise would have been present 50 years ago.  He apparently opted for the cash instead.  Now a legatee two generations later bemoans he state of his inheritance.  Kings Island is the only part of Mason east of the 71.  All the surrounding residences are in Deerfield Township.  Residents of Mason don't hear anything except fireworks.  Orion won't change that.  I am sure the Mason residents are more concerned with their own enjoyment of the park and it's tax, employment and tourism revenue than the noise concerns of a man who inherited what remained after his grandfather sold land to be used for the park's construction.  Mason officials have every reason to accommodate Kings Island and no reason to do anything for Mr. Taylor.  Mr. Taylor has an adequate remedy in court for a nuisance action. However, the fact he acquired the land from someone who sold a portion of the land knowing it was going to be used as an amusement park would seem to provide a formidable defense.

• Like 2

Maybe the nearby residents could just plant some new trees. I used to live right next to a extremely busy railroad track and instead of trying to make them stop using horns and such, we just asked for grants from the city to plant trees to help with nosie reduction which really did help. The city had no complaints with the idea, and actually ended up paying for all of it and did all the work. So I think if they ask kindly enough between Kings Island and the city of Mason they can get more trees to form a natural sound barrier or, they could go the more expensive route and just put a sound barrier like what we use on highways in. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pez said:

I have no sympathy for Mr. Taylor.  His grandfather sold land for the park and could have negotiated for noise considerations.  Concerns about noise would have been present 50 years ago.  He apparently opted for the cash instead.  Now a legatee two generations later bemoans he state of his inheritance.  Kings Island is the only part of Mason east of the 71.  All the surrounding residences are in Deerfield Township.  Residents of Mason don't hear anything except fireworks.  Orion won't change that.  I am sure the Mason residents are more concerned with their own enjoyment of the park and it's tax, employment and tourism revenue than the noise concerns of a man who inherited what remained after his grandfather sold land to be used for the park's construction.  Mason officials have every reason to accommodate Kings Island and no reason to do anything for Mr. Taylor.  Mr. Taylor has an adequate remedy in court for a nuisance action. However, the fact he acquired the land from someone who sold a portion of the land knowing it was going to be used as an amusement park would seem to provide a formidable defense.

To be fair, when Kings Island was built 50 years ago, it had one big roller coaster that likely didn't make the noise that today's coasters do, and I'm sure in the 1970s, there was no real expectation that rides would be built 200-feet tall and feature speeds that had this much noise. It's a fair complaint. 

Not that I think there's much that will happen here, although I don't doubt that KI will take measures to deal with the noise. But having worked at a local newspaper for years, this strikes me as a story that arose on a slow night at a city council meeting and the reporter knew that a citizen complaint about the popular amusement park in the area would make for a good headline. I doubt this is the beginning of some giant fight. 

• Like 2

50 years ago when I built my house next to the highway I had no idea that the city might actually grow and need to add additional lanes and now they want to take my back yard away and put a giant concrete wall up.  Not Fair!

50 years ago when I built my house next to an airport I had no idea that air cargo would experience such huge growth and planes would be landing and taking off all hours of the night.  So Bezos just needs to knock that crap off.  

50 years ago when I built my house next to a hospital I had no idea all the Boomer’s health would eventually start failing and need bigger hospitals with ambulances bringing even more patients at all hours of the night.  

I wonder if CoasterDynamics has a nano-violin kit.  

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, cdubbs727 said:

To be fair, when Kings Island was built 50 years ago, it had one big roller coaster that likely didn't make the noise that today's coasters do, and I'm sure in the 1970s, there was no real expectation that rides would be built 200-feet tall and feature speeds that had this much noise. It's a fair complaint. 

Not that I think there's much that will happen here, although I don't doubt that KI will take measures to deal with the noise. But having worked at a local newspaper for years, this strikes me as a story that arose on a slow night at a city council meeting and the reporter knew that a citizen complaint about the popular amusement park in the area would make for a good headline. I doubt this is the beginning of some giant fight. 

How tall a coaster is has nothing to do with how noisy it is. Its mainly people screaming and the chain lifts. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2019 at 9:14 AM, TombRaiderFTW said:

Someone pointed out here that almost all of the lift hills in the park point roughly in the same direction. When they pointed it out, I was curious if sound ordinances had something to do with that. Now that this has come up, I'm even more curious.

I like this point. When I first saw the Orion prints I was so surprised at the lift direction I really wanted to see a lift going up to the left of the tower. I bet this had some to do with it as those houses are to the left of the orion site

26 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

How tall a coaster is has nothing to do with how noisy it is. Its mainly people screaming and the chain lifts. 

How tall def matters. B&Ms are loud. And the taller they are the louder they will come down flying through the drop. The article mentions Diamondback multiple times. Not Backlot stunt. They clearly did there research they know that Orion is the same company as DB and they know about the sand in the tracks.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cdubbs727 said:

I disagree with this statement. Gemini was built in ‘78 at 125 feet high only 6 years after KI was built. I used Gemini as the example because residents in the Cincy area I think would have heard of Cedar Point. I am sure there were other coasters taller but I am using the “O the GP wouldn’t know that”. We could even use Disneyland since i am sure that was boardcasted by the news. The 80 foot Matterhorn ride back in ‘59. Then flash forward only 17 years and you have Magnum XL that is 200 feet in ‘89. 

I am sorry but i just don’t believe the i never would have thought they would build a 200 foot coaster in my backyard (or the 300 foot coaster). I am sure the majority of the Cincy area that went to KI back then would hope and dream just like everyone else today that they would get a coaster like Disney or Cedar Point. 

In addition, I agree with some others about the noise. I live next to the airport and with Amazon building what they are building the planes will be flying all day and night. You get use to the noise, sure does a plane go over my house and shake my whole house YES. Other than that you really don’t notice the noise they make. Also yes I bought my house knowing the airport was there. 

• Like 2