2020 Additions and Improvements

FUN&ONLY!

5 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

My bet is on some new restaurant or food stand. On the recent Notice of Commencement, there were some food companies listed. It would also make sense to put a new restaurant in Area 72 considering they are removing the current food stand that was in X-Base.

Space Food.  Any idea what that is?  Gagh? 

• Haha 2

I know Kings Island says they don’t have any plans or anything in the making for the replacement of Vortex. But just a thought, Kings island probably knew before Orion was announced that Vortex was in its finals days, this could be a reason they didn’t go all out with Orion, because they knew Vortex was going to be removed and they have to replace it quick, so I think that either next year or 2022 we could be seeing another coaster

The reason they didn't break records with Orion  is because of the cost of steel. Fury 325 was 30 million dollars just like Orion. In order to break Records with Orion the park would have likely needed to speed another 10-15 million dollars and they just wouldn't see the return on investment they need. We all want the big recorded breaking coasters but Cedar Fair wants one thing. To make a profit. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, flightoffear1996 said:

We all want the big recorded breaking coasters but Cedar Fair wants one thing. To make a profit. 

Records are great on paper, but all they are good for in real life is pride, and pride can only get you so far. And both are temporary. When they're sitting on Orion, aiming to go down that first hill, the last thing on people's minds will whether or not it broke records.

(And given the fates of Geauga Lake, Americana/LeSoursdville Lake, and Coney Island, I'd much rather the park make a profit...)

• Like 6

5 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

The reason they didn't break records with Orion  is because of the cost of steel. Fury 325 was 30 million dollars just like Orion. In order to break Records with Orion the park would have likely needed to speed another 10-15 million dollars and they just wouldn't see the return on investment they need. We all want the big recorded breaking coasters but Cedar Fair wants one thing. To make a profit. 

So in other words you are saying it is due to budget. Which would make this a xxxxxx Giga and we are not allowed to say that here as that is allegedly disrespectful to the park.

Sticking to a budget and not overextending ones debt load is something to be respected in my view and not criticized so I do not agree with this position but will respect it.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, King Ding Dong said:

So in other words you are saying it is due to budget. Which would make this a xxxxxx Giga and we are not allowed to say that here as that is allegedly disrespectful to the park.

Sticking to a budget and not overextending ones debt load is something to be respected in my view and not criticized so I do not agree with this position but will respect it.  

Doesn’t every ride have a budget?

• Like 5

6 hours ago, flightoffear1996 said:

The cost of steel is not the reason why. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even if you want to use the “cost of steel” as the reason for the specifications of Orion, you are forgetting the offset cost of delivery. The cost of delivery for Orion is pennies compared to Fury since CSF is 36 miles from Kings Island, compared to 505 miles and elevation change through a mountain range for Carowinds.

There are reasons, just enjoy the ride, enjoy the now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

^Aside from a few firsts (Magnum, MF, TTD), total track length (steel and overall), and all the hybrid records with SV, CP doesn't have a lot of the records it used to have anymore. 

KI might legitimately have more current records than CP right now.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Cedar Point would like a word with you...:blink:

Psst...hey...runners of Cedar Point...SuCk An EgG...

If you think about it, we've actually broken more impressive records than CP. CP basically is obsessed with breaking record in height, and pretty much only height. We've got unique, impressive, one of a kind records, like the longest wooden coaster/longest roller coaster in America.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robt said:

I'd be willing to bet there is a restriction to what Deerfield Township / City of Mason, Ohio  will accept height-wise in order to "protect" nearby home values.

That isn’t the reason why, and to my knowledge there isn’t any height restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

That isn’t the reason why, and to my knowledge there isn’t any height restrictions.

Does the reason have to do with them wanting to use the terrain to its advantage and make it unique? I think I remember one of the higher ups in construction during the media tour of the construction site a couple months back say that going up 300 feet tall is a huge jump. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ben43065 said:

I wouldn’t consider building it 13 ft taller would be a huge jump ^ especially since there’s 3 other attractions in the park that are 300 ft or taller. 

And less than 1% of people that go to the park care about that extra 13 feet.  You won't notice it on the ride.  Would you rather have 300 with a 287 drop, or 287 with a 300 drop?  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

And less than 1% of people that go to the park care about that extra 13 feet.  You won't notice it on the ride.  Would you rather have 300 with a 287 drop, or 287 with a 300 drop?  

300 ft tall, more potential energy. I didn’t say people would notice it or care it about however I stated it wouldn’t be a huge jump to have made the ride slightly taller.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Does the reason have to do with them wanting to use the terrain to its advantage and make it unique? I think I remember one of the higher ups in construction during the media tour of the construction site a couple months back say that going up 300 feet tall is a huge jump. 

That was what I was told by the park. They wanted to use the terrain to their advantage.

Of course, whether it’s a cost of steel thing or they truly just wanted to use the terrain, their answer was the correct answer to give. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I'll be honest- I don't see the point in making a giga coaster use terrain all that well.  

While it won't feel like a terrain coaster, I believe the point was that instead of going after huge world records, they were more like: "let's do something different from the other giga coasters. We don't want the lift to be 300 feet let's go up in the upper 200s and use that hillside to get the drop to 300 feet." 

• Like 2

They definitely did not use the terrain other than a ditch.    There is a valley that they could have used for a huge Diving. finale instead of the abrupt brake run in the sky.  

the shortness and the lackluster out and back layout are more disappointing than the lack of records. 

• Like 2

On the other hand, I will own the role of the enthusiast who is excited to have Orion join our line-up.  Kings Island has not disappointed me with their improvement decisions, even if I don't partake in them (waterpark and Planet Snoopy).  I truly think the best is yet to come, based on what I have seen from 2017 on.  

• Like 7