Kings Island NYE 2019

IndyGuy4KI

It was unexpected that they kept the rides open for another 90 minutes past the advertised time.    In these days of not operating as  scheduled to operate to pinch pennies, that was a nice change.  They must of been happy with the crowd.  

• Like 1

How was the turnout this year, considering the weather was much better than last year?  I wish the park had communicated that the rides would be open until 11:30PM rather than the 10PM close posted on their website, but for the people that did go, I'm sure it was a nice bonus.  I wanted to go, but it seemed like the event was marketed more to families this year, and I didn't know if there'd be enough for my friends and I in the last few hours.  Does anyone know if the dining plans worked through 1AM and what time the park stopped serving alcohol?

• Sad 1

I just want to say that I had a fantastic time last night! In addition to attending TWO NYE parties in the park, I saw the 6 PM Drummers, rode Mystic and went into Peanuts Playhouse to see what that was all about (it was pretty cool; Charlie Brown and Lucy were playing Connect 4 and there were kid-friendly versions of "Boy With Love" (BTS) and "High Hopes" (Panic! at the Disco) playing). Both of the NYE parties (the elf party in the Festhaus and the dance party in front of the tower*) were fantastic in their own ways. It was so great to see all my friends one last time before the off season officially begins.

*The Elf Party in Festhaus followed a showing of Tinker's Toy Factory and had kids up on stage to participate in a snowball fight and Hot Potato (but with a snowball), all with a dance party as well. That was really fun and I ran into some of my Haunt Fam as well as people I used to work in Park Services with. While that was super awesome, the I-Street party followed right afterwards. It was basically a dance party with the characters (such as Mr. Tannenbaum, some of the elves (the group of four that come out before most showing of Tinker's Toy Factory), Jack Frost, the ghost of Christmas Present and a few more) and it was fantastic. They let some people on stage to dance up until about some time before Midnight, and it was fantastic. Of course I breakdanced a few times and ended up taking myself to First Aid not once, but twice. The first injury was from bleeding after playing Guitar Hero in Rivertown (I think my hands were just getting dry because of the cold) and the second one was breakdancing without wearing gloves ("Safety First!" As I told Mr. T once I put my gloves on). The party kept going right into 2020 with the elves dancing with the people in the crowd, which was cool to see. BTW, the fireworks were really cool and also two were very close to the stage (and bringing back "The Greatest Showman" one last time was great!). Before leaving, I made sure to say goodbye to some of the indoor elves that were still around (including someone I didn't know was an elf!)

Like I said, it was a fantastic evening and I enjoyed ringing in 2020 at the park! To all my friends/Haunt Fam, it was great to see you all and I wish you all a great (and restful) offseason. 2020 is gonna be FUN!!! :D

Also, as for the aforementioned question about the dining plan/alcohol; I don't know. What I do know is my drink plan did work after midnight, so there's that (then again, my pass was already renewed for next season).

EDIT: Also, crowd-wise, it wasn't the normal crowdedness I've come to know about Winterfest, but there were a decent amount of people there, especially in front of the tower. When I got there, I was shocked to see so few people (and no characters at first), but I think it may have gotten busier as the night went on - or everyone was just ice skating when I got there!).

• Like 3

The park was moderately busy. I've seen bigger crowds and smaller crowds. It was cold and it was the wind. Coldest in the park for me and I've been to Winterfest in cold weather 5 times. I know its been colder but the coldest when I was there. Mystic shut the line about 10:45pm and the line was almost cleared out when I got my last ride at 11pm. So if any rides were still running I wish the park had made that a bit clearer. After my final and 7th ride on Mystic of the night I went to La Rosa's and used my meal plan and drink plan about 11:30pm. Then I was gonna attempt to get some Starbucks. Attempt number 2 of the night but that line was just insane all night. So I headed to the tower for the Fireworks and New Years party. After the fireworks I started walking toward the exit but noticed lots of people doing the same so I headed back to the stage and waited it out and enjoyed the music for another hour. 

Fire up that loud! Another round of shots. Turn down for what?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SnakePlissken said:

They launched fireworks off the buildings for July 4th in 2019 too. Might have been part of the improvements to International this past winter. 

Nothing structural changed to accommodate the close prox fireworks, however I do believe that there would be an argument that the attention given to I Street help in this decision.

• Like 3

This was my first NYE at Kings Island; however, I was not on I-Street when the clock struck midnight.

2020 began with me and a bunch of other people watching the fireworks from in front of Vortex. We celebrated the New Year while saying one last goodbye. Definitely a unique New Year's celebration and literally once-in-a-lifetime. This is without a doubt my favorite NYE and one I'll never forget.

• Like 7