Kings Island 2010 to 2019 Review

IndyGuy4KI

As we start looking at 2020, here is a KIBlog post about the last decade in review. What has been your favorite moment in the last decade at Kings Island.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2019/december/kings-island-decade-in-review-the-top-stories-year-to-year

I would have to say the addition of Mystic Timbers would have to be mine.

Aside from that meeting my wife (a KIC member) at Coasterstock would be at the top of life changes this past decade.

• Like 6

The 2010s were probably one of the best decades ever for Kings Island. The Kings Island of 2010 vs. the Kings Island of 2019 are two completely different parks, and I mean that in a good way. Mystic Timbers, Banshee, the International Street renovation, and everything in between this decade has mostly been incredible.

It's also worth noting that the 2010s were the first decade since the 1970s that Kings Island did not change ownership!

• Like 9

The addition of Banshee is my favorite moment from this past decade. It's my second favorite ride in the park and it brought new life to Action Zone when it opened in 2014. I watched a stream of the announcement and followed everything about the coaster until I rode it for the first time on Mother's day 2014.

• Like 4

I couldn't agree more that Kings Island in 2010 is drastically different from Kings Island in 2020. As nostalgic as I am for the Paramount's Kings Island of my childhood, I love the direction the park has taken this decade, especially since 2014. Cirque, theming and attention to details in theming, Haunt's houses becoming higher quality, Carnivale, Banshee, Mystic Timbers, Orion... It's been a good decade for the park. I don't feel like it's living in the shadow of the de-Paramounting like it did 10 years ago.

It's also been such an interesting decade in the amusement industry, period. Ten years ago, enthusiasts mostly didn't know who RMC was--they were just very curious to see this new red steel track design being installed on Texas Giant. Wooden coasters didn't do inversions. Six Flags went from bankruptcy recovery to new rides at every park every year. The Kinzel era of Cedar Fair mercifully ended and the Ouimet/Zimmerman eras began. China and the UAE exploded with parks. We had *zero* operating Harry Potter areas at Universal parks and *two* operating giga coasters in the world this time ten years ago. I'm excited to see where the next decade goes.

• Like 8

My favorite personal memory from the 2010s actually happened fairly early on: October 16th, 2010. It was my first time to Halloween Haunt and I was with a group of friends, and we waited 90 minutes to ride The Beast at night (everything had monster lines as it was a Haunt Saturday- Beast was actually overflowing nearly into the main Rivertown midway!). But the ride we got was EPIC. The park had fog machines along the track, and even a Beast "monster" prop in the woods before the 2nd lift.  And the ride was running about as good as I think it ever has. My friends screamed so much in the cool air (it was in the low 50's) that the next day, when we went to a local short race track for a race, I was the only one of the group who could still talk. :P

As for my favorite new addition to the park, while Mystic Timbers is great, I would personally give the nod to Banshee. Waiting 4 1/2 hours to ride it on its grand opening- and not be disappointed at all- is another memory I vividly hold from this decade. Though that same day we got in a minor car accident because someone decided to car line jump us before we even got in the park, which is a low point from this decade IMO. (Thankfully our insurance covered it and yes, the idiot who wrecked into us got in trouble for it)

I also have to agree with KIGhostguy, Kings Island improved a LOT this decade to the point where I can easily say the 2019 version of the park is far superior to the 2010 version. At that is in spite of losing 2 roller coasters (3 if you could SOB which didn't operate this decade), including Vortex which was a ride I am really gonna miss.

And now, in no particular order, are some "honorable mention" memories as I think of them (besides The Beast one that I feel "won" the decade):

-Waiting 4 1/2 Hours for Banshee, and still enjoying the ride enough to feel it was worth it (as stated earlier) in 2014

-Visiting Kings Island on my 27th Birthday in 2017 and getting my first ride on Mystic Timbers that day

-Kings Island saving our butts because the car we drove to the park had a faulty gas gauge and we ran outta gas, so they gave us some to get to a gas station in 2010 (Thanks KI!)

-Diamondback going crazy on Opening Day 2019 and giving what felt like SUSTAINED EJECTOR AIR. I feel the weather may have been a part of why- it was cold and had been running all day. It felt more like Steel Vengeance than the usual Diamondback ride!

--Waiting 2 Hours to ride The Beast for a 40th Anniversary T-Shirt, riding in the very very back, and getting a epic ride that felt worth it even if they were out of shirts...but they were not so I got one! :P Also Opening Day 2019.

-Also getting to meet with KIC members and ride a few rides (including my best ever run on Boo Blasters!) on Opening Day 2019

-Conquering my fears and riding Drop Tower for the first time in 2010 with my best friend (happened same visit as the above Beast night ride, but much earlier in the day)

-Discovering how much better Vortex was from 5-1, also in 2010

-Red Racer giving a glass smooth and airtime packed ride the morning of May 5th, 2012 (usually Racer is at least a little rough so this stood out to me a lot) and then it happened again on Blue Racer in 2018

-Riding Flight of Fear during Haunt 2016, and the MCBR being OFF, resulting in one crazy intense ride

-Watching Gravity, my favorite show of the decade at KI, in both 2018 and 2019

-Enjoying all the Christmas lights and riding Flight of "Cheer" and Mystic Timbers with minimal wait times during Winterfest 2018 (didn't get to come to Wintefest '17 and '19 sadly)

-Too many epic Beast night rides- including the one above- to list.

And I am gonna stop myself here but I think the point gets across: I had a ton of fun during my first decade going to Kings Island regularly (first trip in the "modern" era was 2009 when I got over my fear of big roller coasters). Hopefully the 2020s are just as good, if not better. Orion does look like it's gonna be a promising start to the decade...

• Like 6

Without reading the article, I'd like the say that this (last) decade was the decade I really started going to the park more (especially 2012 onward) as I could (finally!) drive myself there and back. Also, the 2010's was the decade I joined KIC and met all of you fine people! KIC has been a great outlet to share my love for coasters and theme parks as well as place to make great friends (like @Magenta Lizard, @XGatorHead 8904@malem, Brad, and a bunch of other people I may have never met if it wasn't for KIC).

EDIT: Upon reading the article...

Great Timeline; so much good stuff in there like Mystic, Banshee and Tropical Plunge! I totally forgot Coasterstock started in 2015; I feel like I need to go to that at some point.

Also, I feel like a lot has changed in the last decade and not in just at KI: smartphones are basically a staple in people's lives (not mine, though!) and streaming on services like Netflix and Spotify are the norm as well. Pokémon HeartGold was released in 2010, and now we have Sword and Shield on the Switch (ok,  the impact is debatable lol, but we did get Black and White/2 as well as the advent of 3D games like X and Y and Sun and Moon). Also, social media has really taken off in the form of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat (remember Vine?)- and livestreaming services like Facebook Live, Periscope and Meerkat. Finally, let's not forget the rise of big companies like Google. Amazon and even Disney (with theme parks, Disney+, and the acquisition of Marvel and Star Wars).

Personally, the 2010's is the decade I graduated from college (6 years in the making lol), got my driver's license and had a lot of full time jobs- the most recent of which is within my college major.

• Like 2

Kings Island is my home park, and is definitely my favorite, and for good reasons. This decade for Kings Island has been wonderful.

Banshee and Mystic Timbers we’re added (both are outstanding rides), International Street got a major revamp (a remodel that was very welcomed, to me, at least), and Kings Island brought back the antique cars: Kings Mills Antique Autos. Not to mention Coney Mall received a new barbecue joint.

The only bad decision that Kings Island made this decade was the retiring of Vortex. Yes, they also removed Firehawk, but that ride was awful, and I was glad to see it go. 

Banshee and Mystic Timbers are tied for the best decade addition. Both add a wonderful thrill factor to the park and are great additions to the parks coaster lineup. 

My favorite memory this decade was conquering my fear of going upside down on a roller coaster. I conquered this fear on Vortex on June 1, 2018. 

Overall, 2010-2020 has been amazing for this park, and I’m excited to see what Kings Island has in store for us for the years 2021-2030. 

• Like 4