silver2005's return to Muskegon and 4 parks in 4 states

silver2005

I usually brag about my future summer's plans this time of year, and last year I was unemployed, so not looking for that big a trip this summer.  Likely doing Holiwood Nights again, mostly exclusively because Voyage got re-tracked, but I have a decent trip planned along side it.

Still looking into the timing as I have to wait for my community band schedule to come out, but likely late-June/early-July or late-July/early-August, I will probably be making a return to the northern Ohio and Michigan parks with Cedar Point and Michigan's Adventure.   I will be adding 1 or 2 parks this time as I also want to return to Erie to get in Waldameer again and I'm also looking into my first visit to Indiana Beach since its kind of on the way to or from Muskegon.   Depending on costs and/or length of the trip, I may omit Waldameer.

I need no info on 3 of the parks, but info on Indiana Beach would be helpful, mostly lodging and overlooked things to make sure to hit/eat when I'm at and around IB.  I already know my game plans for Muskegon, Erie and Sandusky/Port Clinton.  Just have to decide the route and park order.  Part of me wants to save CP for last, but I'll forego that if the routing works better otherwise.  I'll likely be doing 1 day visits to MIA, IB and Waldameer and it'll be a coin toss for if I want to do 1 or 2 days at the Point.  I'm planning on FLP for CP for sure.  

• Like 2

On the off chance I have more money to work with that I thought, there is an extremely slight chance I may add SFGAm to this trip.  I didn't realize how close I am to Chicago going to Indiana Beach.  If I could pair that with a Reds game in Chicago, I'd be even happier (and get me some legit Chicago style pizza).  

I would probably scratch Waldameer and do only 1 day at CP in that instance as well. 

That's all extremely doubtful though.  

If I do the original plan, I may stay in Port Clinton for both CP and Waldameer. 

• Like 2

I'm staying in Port Clinton for sure for CP and Waldameer.  I love the place a ton (like as much love as I have for Gatlinburg and Hershey PA).   Its smaller and less confusing to drive through than Sandusky for me.  I've always stayed in Port Clinton for CP trips, whether with family or solo trips.   I also like driving along the lake going to PC and the drive to and from CP.   I usually stay at the Super 8 in PC.  

I'm absolutely doing FLP at CP mostly because I rarely go, but also especially now because I'm wary on how them introducing Gold Passes affects their attendance. 

I am disappointed the fantastic pizza restaurant in Muskegon I discovered closed a few weeks after I went the last time for water damage. :( It was rated in the top 5 of Michigan's best pizza places.  I also want to spend a bit more time on Lake Michigan than I did the previous visit.    Some areas around Muskegon are quite scenic.  

I could use advice for lodging and things to do around Indiana Beach as well as any little tidbits about the park not apparent at first glance (particularly in-park dining), especially because, like its Santa Claus, IN counterpart, appears to be in the middle of nowhere.  

Just to be clear- CP, MIA and Indiana Beach are staple parks on this trip.  Waldameer is dependent on a few factors and a very likely visit (especially a re-visit to that amazing diner down the hill) and SFGAm is a possibility, but very, very unlikely.  I would ideally want to make that a 2 day stay in Chicago and would obviously plan this trip around when the Reds go there if at all possible.   Also, if ACE (the coaster club I belong to) brings back the free SIX tickets with memberships, I'd be more interested in doing SFGAm. 

I am also scheduling this trip around my community band schedule since with me being the likely only alto sax and with all the work I put in my sax last summer, I just put in a request to the director to throw me some solos this summer, so I would have to get to all the concerts.   Won't know that until late-April or early-May.  

I've done some recalculations with my money stuffs, and the possibility of me trading Waldameer for SFGAm is looking better.   

Going to a Reds @ Cubs game is looking iffy since their only trip to Chicago in summer is in mid-July which is right around the bulk of my summer community band concert schedule, but we'll see.  I might go to a game even if they're not playing the Reds.  Wrigley is firmly on my bucket list of stadiums to visit.  Ticket prices aren't nearly as bad as I was anticipating. 

I'll also definitely be needing any tips on navigating and lodging around Chicago/Gurnee, and also tips on tackling SFGAm since I've never been. 

In terms of itinerary and route, I'll be doing Indiana Beach first regardless of anything.  Then I'll either do SFGAm or Muskegon after that (I'd do SFGAm then Muskegon in that event), then if I keep Waldameer, I'd do that, and CP will be saved for last.  If I do SFGAm, I'm doing 1 day at CP.  If I do Waldameer, I'll be highly considering 2 days at CP.  I'm also considering hitting up downtown Cleveland and visiting the Rock and Roll HoF as well.  I'm staying in Port Clinton for any of the Sandusky/Cleveland/Erie bits of this trip.  

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like I will be scratching Indiana Beach off the trip now. :(

SFGAm got a boost in likelihood with that as well.

Trip will probably go SFGAm, MIA, Waldameer, then finish with CP.   Seeing the Reds in Chicago is unlikely since their only trip there in summer is right in the thick of my community band schedule.  I may still try to go to a Cubs game w/o the Reds there. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after much thought of what I want to spend my money on recently, I think I'm going to omit any sort of stint to Chicago and just do MIA, Waldameer and CP. I may take a trek into Cleveland and the R&R HOF though. B)  I'm contemplating bringing my sax to get a photo of it and me in front. 

Just got what I hope are the right concert dates for my community band this summer, and it looks like I'll be getting this trip in during the last full week of July or the week of July going into August.  I'm waiting on the last concert's date.  

At least it'll be warm enough to venture into Lake Michigan while I'm in Muskegon. B) 

I'll likely be doing MIA first, then staying a few days around Sandusky/Port Clinton to get in 1 or 2 days (still TBD) at CP, a day at Waldameer, and a day visiting downtown Cleveland and the R&R HOF. 

• 5 weeks later...

Well, the obvious bad news is I'm cancelling this trip this summer.  Depending on how soon I get back to work, I may either keep this trip and actually add SFGAm and a Chicago venture to it, or I may go back to the southeast trip I was planning to KD, BGW, Carowinds and Dollywood with a good helping of Gatlinburg in there. 

• Sad 1