Kings Island to announce 2020 operating calendar on January 16, 2020 at 3 P.M.

KIguy2004

16 hours ago, King Ding Dong said:

An announcement of an announcement of an announcement :rolleyes:

Haha not exactly! An announcement of a calendar... which we probably essentially already know since they released preview night on the web site and opening day via Christmas ornament. :rolleyes:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It’s posted. 

No more midnight closes Saturday in July? That’s a real bummer, the only one that’s a midnight close is July 4th. 

Midnight closes for Haunt too.

All around pretty bad news.

I wonder if this is a noise ordinance thing.

It could be but from my experience the park dies out a lot at midnight durning the haunt. Not to sure about Saturdays in July though.  

side note - does anyone know when the Carowinds schedule will be released?  I thought they opened in March some time. 

• Like 1

Its kinda a tradition going back to the Paramount days to stay open until 1AM during Haunt. I have noticed a pattern of Cedar Fair trimming late hours at Cedar Point the past couple seasons and now Kings Island too. Its a bummer. Night rides are my favorite. Also they still don't have any of the "special events" posted except opening day which is what we all probably wanted to see more anyways. The cutting of the hours is gonna make me consider not renewing my pass for next year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Its kinda a tradition going back to the Paramount days to stay open until 1AM during Haunt. I have noticed a pattern of Cedar Fair trimming late hours at Cedar Point the past couple seasons and now Kings Island too. Its a bummer. Night rides are my favorite. Also they still don't have any of the "special events" posted except opening day which is what we all probably wanted to see more anyways. The cutting of the hours is gonna make me consider not renewing my pass for next year. 

Nah, paramount was midnight. Cedar Fair made it 1am.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Haha not exactly! An announcement of a calendar... which we probably essentially already know since they released preview night on the web site and opening day via Christmas ornament. :rolleyes:

The calendar announces the hours. That is the way I see it and nothing you say will convince me otherwise.  :D

Rarely have I ever made it much past 11, by then the kids are begging to go home because they have been up since 6AM, are tired and their feet hurt.   

6 minutes ago, KIghostguy said:

I think that the end of the midnight closes in July will result in a more crowded park. Those are some of the most packed days of the summer, and the midnight close allows crowds to be a little more spread out.

Park itself won't be any more crowded at 10pm this summer compared to 10pm last year if you take away Orion. The thing that will change is the parking lot will be a mess. Everybody leaving at 10pm instead of leaving over 2 hours.

40 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Allow me to pose the questions:

How will this affect attendance at KI?

Will it be more, less, or unchanged?

If there was a drop, would Orion and Grand Carnivale offset that?

Why?

I have thoughts on the matter. I will share after I hear some of yours.

The only time I think it'll hurt attendance is Friday night Haunt, people won't see as much perceived value, especially when other Halloween events are open late.  The park really emptied out after 10 PM on Midnight Closes, seemed as though most people assumed they still closed at 10.

Park attendance will be up, due to Orion.

43 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Allow me to pose the questions:

How will this affect attendance at KI?

Will it be more, less, or unchanged?

If there was a drop, would Orion and Grand Carnivale offset that?

Why?

I have thoughts on the matter. I will share after I hear some of yours.

Well, they will save on labor for that extra hour. You also have to look also how much they average in profit between 12-1am. They might recoup some on meal plans as well as it may keep some from getting that extra "take home" meal before they leave the park( Chick-fil-a). It's all in the numbers.

Just now, robt said:

Wow, 5 whole days open in all of April. Why hardly any Sundays, are these corporate events (buy-outs)?  So basically wait until May if you want any chance not to be in a park surrounded by 50,000 of your closest friends (aka PACKED).

Would you rather the park not open until mid May like Cedar Point? I sure don't. A wise man once said don't look a gift horse in the mouth. Besides sometimes the weathers still not great in April then you get a fun day in the park without many people. Like opening weekend last year. But I would like to know if there is April buy outs. Last year Coney BBQ was roasting lots of chickens near the end of the day on opening day Sat. The next day Easter Sunday they were closed. So I wondered what they were doing cooking all those so late.

Yes, with such a light April schedule it takes the fun out of going to the park unless you like 2 hour wait times and being packed like sardines. If they added 1 - 2 more Sundays this schedule would have received my thumbs up. It'll be time to take the kids to the ballpark in April instead.

5 minutes ago, robt said:

Yes, with such a light April schedule it takes the fun out of going to the park unless you like 2 hour wait times and being packed like sardines. If they added 1 - 2 more Sundays this schedule would have received my thumbs up. It'll be time to take the kids to the ballpark in April instead.

So what you are saying is since you cant have more than the 5 days in April that you want aka feel entitled to, that you don't want the park to open in April at all. You want the park to open in May. Which in turn makes May even more crowded because those who wish to get a jump start or just visit in April now in theory couldn't? That makes no sense to me. 

I'm not all that upset about the earlier closes.  Yeah, it sucks,  but it's all a trade-off.  After all, I consider the pass one of the best values for my money I get all year (except for Woohoos at Kroger sometimes).

I can't remember the exact time they open daily in May, but it does seemed bumped up a week to me.  Which  I am over the moon for that since I work weekends and the park is usually subdued during May weeks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm not all that upset about the earlier closes.  Yeah, it sucks,  but it's all a trade-off.  After all, I consider the pass one of the best values for my money I get all year (except for Woohoos at Kroger sometimes).

I can't remember the exact time they open daily in May, but it does seemed bumped up a week to me.  Which  I am over the moon for that since I work weekends and the park is usually subdued during May weeks.

I'm wondering if it has to do with surrounding school schedules. I'm not local so it may just be looking at operating days vs trying to work within permits for minors.