Kings Dominion to remove The Crypt

10 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

Wonder what the reasoning is?  Was it close to Volcano?

Their Crypt was close to Volcano (same park area) but I'd imagine the reason for this removal would be the fact Top Spins in general are vanishing from parks as they get older and their reliability decreases. The fact these rides likely have tons of moving parts that needed maintained/replaced cannot help.

The rumored (and probably leaked) B&M Wing Coaster wouldn't need more space than what Volcano gave it, so space isn't really a issue. I would imagine in the coming years Cedar Fair will likely do a whole refresh of this entire section of the park, especially if Anaconda is also removed in a few years (given what happened to Vortex I imagine Anaconda will eventually meet the same fate).

I`m kind of surprised that ride lasted as long as it did, to be honest.  I am kind of surprised at the amount of things that have seemingly been removed from that park, with not a lot of replacements.  Especially considering its proximity to Busch Gardens and how much they have been adding.

• Like 2

This makes me sad*! I was really looking forward to riding this whenever I get back there (my only trip was in 2001). At least there is still Dominator, Ricochet and their unique Delirium flat. So much has changed between now and then: removals of Hypersonic, Shockwave and Volcano and additions of flats and Twisted Timbers. I really hope KD gets some love soon, because things don't seem good if more is being removed that being added...

*Though I do understand the reason for removal, if it happens, due to the reasons @McSalsa posted.

16 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

I`m kind of surprised that ride lasted as long as it did, to be honest.  I am kind of surprised at the amount of things that have seemingly been removed from that park, with not a lot of replacements.  Especially considering its proximity to Busch Gardens and how much they have been adding. 

It kinda does suck for Kings Dominion- they added all these fancy advanced prototype rides in the late 90s and early 2000s, and it is kinda biting them in rear end now since these rides just didn't last as long as expected, save for Flight of Fear. They also had a TOGO Standup- Cedar Fair's getting rid of them across the board it seems, and a wooden coaster in Hurler that was considered one of the world's worst, which did get replaced as it was RMC'd into Twisted Timbers- probably the best addition to Kings Dominion since 2010 easily. Thankfully looking at the rest of the lineup at Kings Dominion, save Anaconda which is probably also coming down in a few years, not too much seems in danger now. But then Cedar Fair is gonna wanna replace all the stuff they had to remove. We know a B&M Wing is probably coming, but Kings Dominion is still gonna want a lot more if they wanna stay competitive with BGW who are doing crazy things like adding back-to-back Intamins.

TBH this is one of the reasons I have liked the new major additions Kings Island has gotten since Cedar Fair added Diamondback in 2009: most of it seems like stuff that is gonna last, and 20 years from now the park isn't suddenly gonna need to abruptly remove a bunch of rides added in this period. Diamondback, Banshee, Mystic Timbers (especially since woodies can last 100+ years), and Orion will likely all last 30+ years, probably even more, like Vortex did. None of these rides are crazy "first of their kind" prototypes, which may draw some enthusiast scoff upon opening, but the trade-off will be a long lifespan for all of them and less headaches for the park.

• Like 2

It feel like all these removals makes it hard for them to compete with BGW. Its not their fault Paramount gave them unreliable rides but I'm sure it doesn't help their publicity when they keep removing rides. As an enthusiast I understand 100% why KD has been getting all these rides removed but from a GP perspective BGW looks more appealing to me.

I always thought of KD as kind of in its own tier between most of the smaller CF parks like DP, WoF, MiA, etc and the big ones like KI, CP, KBF, etc.  Now, to me at least, its firmly in that lower tier.  

I hope CF can start being more creative with KD.  Twisted Timbers was a start, but I think they need to put some more umph in Doswell.  I feel like KD has slowly regressed under CF (speaking as someone who doesn't follow KD all that closely admittedly, just giving my $.02 giving it the eyeball test).  

• Like 2

It's very odd to me that Kings Dominion is on the course that it is with Richard Zimmerman at the helm of Cedar Fair. Zimmerman was general manager at Kings Dominion for a period of time, so you would think there would be lots of big investments in the park. Instead, Kings Dominion is entering 2020 without a ride and without one of its signature coasters...but plus a kiddie splash pad. The park is being treated right now like its Dorney Park--I mean, even the splash pads are similar. 

• Like 2

With Crypt's removal from Kings Dominion, I believe that Twister at Six Flags Great Adventure is the last HUSS Top Spin in the United States. There's also a couple Moser top spins (Splash Over at Iowa's Adventureland and Twister at Lake Winnie) and one Mondial one (Cliffhanger at Lagoon).

Anyone know if I'm missing any?

• 2 weeks later...