4D Free Spin?

SonofBaconator

I like the 4D Free Spins as well and wouldn't mind if KI got one, but like the other two have mentioned something custom would be my preference. 

22 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

I'd like to see S&S try a custom layout with the new generation of free spins. X2, Dinoconda, and Eejanaika all seem to get good reviews. I've been on Joker at SFGAdv and really enjoyed it.

Having ridden Eejanaika I would kill to have a ride like it at KI or even at any park within a shortish driving distance.  It is a truly insane ride and I wish every coaster enthusiast could get to experience it.  However, I doubt many of those will get built in the future because they are just so expensive, but one can hope. Also, those don't have Free Spinning seats; they move with controlled motions at certain points during the ride.

1 hour ago, tuxedoman52 said:

I'd like to see S&S try a custom layout with the new generation of free spins. X2, Dinoconda, and Eejanaika all seem to get good reviews. I've been on Joker at SFGAdv and really enjoyed it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eejanaika is my #1. I know they have a hefty price tag but I honestly said to myself after riding it and X2 "Why are there not more of these?!"

• Like 1

I think a highly themed S&S Free Spin with show scenes and a custom layout (kind of like Tomb Raider-eque theming/ride experience, but as a roller coaster) would go great in the Crypt's old building. However, Madame Fatale may not be too fond of a (working) roller coaster being the latest piece in her (wax) museum... 

• Like 1

As Dwight Shrute would say: "NO NO NO NO NO NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

I dont think a low capacity ride like this would work at KI.  

I rode X2 and I hated it.

I've heard B&M is developing a concept with a wing coaster configuration where the seats would rotate.  Maybe that, but I will leave it for other riders.

I also rode X2, on my first ever visit to SFMM this past summer. 

My thoughts...

1. It looks awesome and intimidating 

2. In theory it’s fantastic ride... the rotation was a gimmick, but a really cool gimmick.

3. My first ride was rough but unique and enjoyable. My second was downright brutal. I was being shaken like crazy, and begging for it to be over.  Both rides were in the same seat (front, right, outboard) but perhaps different trains. I consider my coaster pain tolerance to be above average (happily endured 3 Vortex rides in half an hour last October). But this second X2 ride was a dealbreaker for me.

4. I think there are only 2 of these because it just appears ridiculously complex and expensive, and because it's just too extreme for most of the general public. I think that beyond the hardcore coaster fans, the GP would much prefer to ride a B&M wing coaster, which looks "close enough" to this with a much more comfortable riding experience. 

I'm glad Arrow and Six took a risk and tried something new... But in the end I can see why other parks go a safer route.

I doubt KI will install anything more "extreme" than Banshee in the foreseeable future.

If Orion is anything like my rides on Leviathan, it will be a magic carpet, smooth, fast delight that will appeal to far more riders than a 4D coaster.

A standard free spin I woulnd't want to see. They tend to get very poor reviews and lots of complaints about being painful. Plus have a very low capacity for them.

A 4d coaster like Dinoconda I'd be ok with. tHey look fun and are more controlled to make a good expereince

• 1 month later...

^Are you suggesting the S&S version is bad?  Because I'd argue the S&S version is more intense than what B&M would come up with.  

The thing that makes 4D coasters work a la X2 are 2 extra rails below the running rails (the 4 in 4D is a reference that there are 4 rails, at least when it was coined when X came into being) that are connected to a mechanism that spins the seats.  The only other option would be to have a computer mounted on the trains control the spinning.  Both versions require a ton of extra engineering that I'm not sure even B&M could overcome with downtime.  That's why I think the Intamin/S&S version is the way to go in making them free-spinning.  

Also, the S&S version does surprisingly well with capacity for its size and the single cars. 

I didn't mind the Joker coasters (I've ridden the ones at SFGAdv and SFGAm) and for what they are they have good capacity.  If we did get one, it wouldn't be something that I would ride every time I'm at the park though.

Now if CF worked out a deal with S&S where KD was getting a free spin and we were getting a Screamin' Swing, I would be quite pleased with that.  You could pretty easily make a Screamin' Swing work in Rivertown, Oktoberfest, or AZ.

On 3/30/2020 at 9:53 PM, DiamondBeast said:

Why did you hate it? I've never ridden it, and all I've heard are awesome reviews, so I'd love to hear a different opinion on it.  

I can't speak for @BeeastFarmer, but I rode it in February. I had a love/hate experience with it myself. I loved it was the most unique ride experiences I have ever had on a coaster. It was VERY disorienting  (which I guess is the point) but I got off  and was a little dizzy and had a head ache for about 1/2 hr due to the forces and spinning. For me it was just a little to intense and is most definitely not rerideable. We were going to reride it before we got our first ride because it is a longer walk that getting to The Bat at KI, but my wife and I did not think our bodies could handle a reride so quick afterwards.

• Like 3

On ‎4‎/‎1‎/‎2020 at 8:37 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

I can't speak for @BeeastFarmer, but I rode it in February. I had a love/hate experience with it myself. I loved it was the most unique ride experiences I have ever had on a coaster. It was VERY disorienting  (which I guess is the point) but I got off  and was a little dizzy and had a head ache for about 1/2 hr due to the forces and spinning. For me it was just a little to intense and is most definitely not rerideable. We were going to reride it before we got our first ride because it is a longer walk that getting to The Bat at KI, but my wife and I did not think our bodies could handle a reride so quick afterwards.

I'm glad I choose not to ride it when we went to Magic Mountain. I had rode Green Lantern earlier that day, and once I saw it was a 4D coaster I instantly turned around. I didn't want to take my chances on it just being a bigger and rougher version of Green Lantern; I wanted to look into it first.