Coasterstock 2020 May 15, 16 (On Sale Monday Feb 3)

jimlaheyscar

57 minutes ago, SnakePlissken said:

Isn't that why they check for club cards at the turnstiles? Also I thought the Coasterstock Lanyard had our name on it with a barcode and maybe even a picture. I know its easier to do bad things like that at Coastermania due to everybody getting the same paper Lanyard. At that park once you're in you're in.  Also If they go to handstamps it better be something that doesn't wash off in the rain or due to sweat or the Charlie Brown Log Flume. Or the Powerade bath from the person in the seat in front of you on Diamondback...

This was happening later in the day while their friends were in the park.

A handstamp might not be the best option. After thinking about it more, I would like to see them use the thick wristbands that Holiday World uses for HWN (which has water park ERT.) Just keep the wristband on 2 days. That can be used for tours and the ERT as well. 

• Like 1

I have shown up late to Coasterstock almost every year.  It used to be that showing up late meant a faster check-in because there was no line at group sales to check in.  Then a couple years ago they switched to allowing you to get things sent to you ahead of time, which I have done since then.  Note that there is a extra charge to have it sent to you (I think it was like $10). 

Either way, it should not be a problem as long as you are not showing up during the evening ERT when guest services is likely closed.

• Like 2

I'm surprised it sold out in just one day. Coastermania on Steel Vengeance debut year took at least a month to sell out. I wasn't prepared to both renew my pass and buy my event ticket today but I didn't want to miss out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Enchanted Voyage Lover said:

Does anyone know how many tickets are sold for Coasterstock? I purchased my two yesterday morning as soon as they went on sale, glad I didn't wait.

Assuming it was the same as last year, it was posted on the Coasterstock FB page as 600.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

It's just a guess, but I bet a lot of out of state people are a big part of the quick sell out.  I can see a lot of coaster enthusiasts around the country (and world) wanting to ride Orion this year, and this event is a great venue for that.

Not to mention quite a few coaster channels/pages have been nonstop blasting the info for at least 2 weeks.  Add in the hype of Orion finishing at the same time, it was near perfect timing. 

Im surprised it took almost 12 hrs and that everyone is surprised by it. I was at the computer at 10 ordering ours and hung around for a bit f5’ing it to see if it was going to go the way of the winter chill out. 

• Like 2

Orion is the only new coaster in the whole chain for 2020. So that is why it sold out quick. The year Steel Vengeance opened Kings Dominion also got a coaster. Also consider the fact that usually Coastermania tickets go on sale first and this year they are waiting till April.

Its just my opinion but Coasterstock is also the better event of the two. 2 days instead of one, 2 meals, drinks for both days vs no drinks at Cedar Point. Cedar Point doesn't throw in free photos or any walkbacks. Coastermania was about 35 dollars last year for one day and Coasterstock was about 45. Coasterstock also had the nicer shirt last year and no typos in it. At Coastermania processing isn't very good either. You all stand in a long line and it doesn't start until 30 minutes before the scheduled 7am ride time. You likely wont get through it before the 7am mark. I also think Cedar Points cap for their event is higher. Tony won't say what the cap is but it really felt like there was a lot more people at Coastermania than Coasterstock. 

• Like 1

CoasterMania was north of 1,000 last year, and it sold out. It was a crowded event, but those who stuck around until ERT ended at 1:30am were able to enjoy 15 minute wait times on SV or walk-on Maverick.

Coasterstock is definitely the better of the two events.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

I didn't have the money right away and by time I could have made a decision, the event was sold out. I'm surprised by how fast this sold out. It's like it was the off-season tour at Cedar Point or something.

Sorry to hear that you will not be attending this year.  It was nice to meet you while there last year.

• Thanks 1

Coasterstock is a better event that Coastermania IMO. CP is my home park so I don't feel the need to attend it. I have a few times but I think it's getting stale and they need to change it up a little. Throw in some behind the scenes tours. The boat ride is cool but it's the same every year. I think Coastermania should be a 2 day event. That's alot to cram into 1 day. 

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 8:11 PM, Thabto said:

Coasterstock is a better event that Coastermania IMO. CP is my home park so I don't feel the need to attend it. I have a few times but I think it's getting stale and they need to change it up a little. Throw in some behind the scenes tours. The boat ride is cool but it's the same every year. I think Coastermania should be a 2 day event. That's alot to cram into 1 day. 

If memory serves me... Coastermania used to be a 2 day event.  Seems like I recall back when I started going that it was spread over 2 days. 

I've have always had a great time at Coastermania - I guess I've been to 7 or so over the past 20+ years (I think its been going on that long...)  I actually have found the better years to attend are the ones on "off" years - meaning a year without a new coaster.  Fewer people - so more rides during ERT. 

My most memorable Coastermania was 2017 - when I finally got a rollback on TTD during nighttime ERT.  Yes, it was as awesome as I dreamed.

Comparing Coastermania to Coasterstock is apples and oranges.  2 different events, 2 different parks.  But I will say, last year's Coasterstock was pretty much the best event I've been to in all the years of doing this.  Mostly because the park offered many, many non-public things to do during the day.... whereas at CM (other than meals) you're just kind of left to do your own thing in-between morning ERT and night ERT.  Also - and maybe it was just me - but the people that attended last year's Coasterstock were more friendly, and from what I witnessed - more respectful.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that for some of the attendees I've witnessed at Coastermania.

That having been said - I recommend both events.  But Coasterstock is a dont miss.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 6:09 PM, SnakePlissken said:

Orion is the only new coaster in the whole chain for 2020. So that is why it sold out quick. The year Steel Vengeance opened Kings Dominion also got a coaster. Also consider the fact that usually Coastermania tickets go on sale first and this year they are waiting till April.

Its just my opinion but Coasterstock is also the better event of the two. 2 days instead of one, 2 meals, drinks for both days vs no drinks at Cedar Point. Cedar Point doesn't throw in free photos or any walkbacks. Coastermania was about 35 dollars last year for one day and Coasterstock was about 45. Coasterstock also had the nicer shirt last year and no typos in it. At Coastermania processing isn't very good either. You all stand in a long line and it doesn't start until 30 minutes before the scheduled 7am ride time. You likely wont get through it before the 7am mark. I also think Cedar Points cap for their event is higher. Tony won't say what the cap is but it really felt like there was a lot more people at Coastermania than Coasterstock. 

Did CM have typos in the shirts?

3 hours ago, Shaggy said:

If memory serves me... Coastermania used to be a 2 day event.  Seems like I recall back when I started going that it was spread over 2 days. 

I've have always had a great time at Coastermania - I guess I've been to 7 or so over the past 20+ years (I think its been going on that long...)  I actually have found the better years to attend are the ones on "off" years - meaning a year without a new coaster.  Fewer people - so more rides during ERT. 

My most memorable Coastermania was 2017 - when I finally got a rollback on TTD during nighttime ERT.  Yes, it was as awesome as I dreamed.

Comparing Coastermania to Coasterstock is apples and oranges.  2 different events, 2 different parks.  But I will say, last year's Coasterstock was pretty much the best event I've been to in all the years of doing this.  Mostly because the park offered many, many non-public things to do during the day.... whereas at CM (other than meals) you're just kind of left to do your own thing in-between morning ERT and night ERT.  Also - and maybe it was just me - but the people that attended last year's Coasterstock were more friendly, and from what I witnessed - more respectful.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that for some of the attendees I've witnessed at Coastermania.

That having been said - I recommend both events.  But Coasterstock is a dont miss.

I really enjoyed both events. I just liked Coasterstock more. Also I felt that Coasterstock people were more friendly than Mania too. I just couldn't come up with a good way to say it.

Editing this to say I didnt realize I was posting 2 in a row. I'm on mobile and dont see a way to delete posts.

• Like 1